manz

Stolen hives

Heads up for the Whakatane district beeks . So today we discovered 20 hives plus pallets stolen off one of our sites. We were just finishing our possum block (grocery money for these hard times) and no 2 man called up to say um I think you had better come and have a look. He has very good records so as soon as they drove into the site they new something was amiss. I don't often swear but today I had to - it feels like some of my babies have been lost. 😓

• Sad 11

Ah no. Which area around Whakatane? (A few of us will be on the look out)

Matahina. I would say they are long gone by now - it would have happened within the last 3 weeks. The rest of the site will be moved ASAP in case they come back. The thieves would have known what they were doing. All our boxes are branded and lids and bases are our own design so we will know them if we ever see them again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss. What lowlifes, hopefully natural justice/fate whatever you want to call it takes care of them. 

Arohamai bro,not a good feeling i bet.

On 15/08/2019 at 8:07 PM, manz said:

All our boxes are branded and lids and bases are our own design so we will know them if we ever see them again.

A photo of your lids and bases on here give us all a chance to keep an eye out for you.  The more eyes looking the better.  Thought with the prices all down there would be less of this.

• Agree 5

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 8:07 PM, manz said:

Matahina. I would say they are long gone by now - it would have happened within the last 3 weeks. The rest of the site will be moved ASAP in case they come back. The thieves would have known what they were doing. All our boxes are branded and lids and bases are our own design so we will know them if we ever see them again.

Bad news Manz and in trying times not exactly what anyone needs.

Word to the wise: [.....our boxes are branded and lids and bases are our own design so we will know them if we ever see them again.....] Unless you catch them within a very short period (I'm talking in transport or shortly thereafter) you haven't got a show!

General modus operandi of these scum suckers is to swop the mother load (Frames, stores, brood & bees) into their own gear in the first instance then get rid of the branded and recognisable components (stands, boxes, Lids) by burning or dumping.

Your best chance of  protection is to brand your frames: This ensures they will be recognisable for all time, won't make it through a contract extraction plant or outside inspection and will be in the face of their associates and new workers for all time.

This will at the very least make your hives unpalatable to the thieves and to much bother to deal with while ensuring a much higher risk of being caught and conviction.

Good luck with the battle!

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

If it's any consolation at all, the last lot here caught with the goodies (away off the rightful property) were a sorry lot after they were dealt to during the recovery. They became aggressive and found their match well and truly. There has not been a prosecution of the recovery team.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this. I think we could actually see more of this as desperate people try to make up for the loses that are happening. Be vigilant.

• Agree 1

Been thru that experience. Not a good one. If caught these people need to be named. So that all in the industry can be wary of these operators.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Well today it got worse. Another 32 hives stolen overnight !!!!! Our sites are in the local Forest behind locked gates but unfortunately this week contractors have been working in there and have been leaving the gates open. The police and Forest Security have been advised but we are putting more cameras out incase they come back. They had blocked up the entrance with a rubber matting material so we have kept that as evidence. Our Registration number is D0871. It's really disheartening as they were bursting with bees getting ready for splitting and pollination . 

• Sad 7

Boy I hope someone gets those mongrels

• Agree 1

Heck that’s not good . Mongrels 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, manz said:

Well today it got worse. Another 32 hives stolen overnight !!!!! Our sites are in the local Forest behind locked gates but unfortunately this week contractors have been working in there and have been leaving the gates open. The police and Forest Security have been advised but we are putting more cameras out incase they come back. They had blocked up the entrance with a rubber matting material so we have kept that as evidence. Our Registration number is D0871. It's really disheartening as they were bursting with bees getting ready for splitting and pollination . 

insured?

any current or ex-employees with a possible grudge or bills to pay?

Edited by tommy dave

Somebody is obviously optimistic about the industry .....or knows nothing about the fact that hives are no longer a tradeable commodity. 

• Agree 1

Not insured. Can't think of anyone who might want to do this. We thought maybe we should offer a reward for any info or recovery of the hives.

11 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Somebody is obviously optimistic about the industry .....or knows nothing about the fact that hives are no longer a tradeable commodity. 

or has woken up with a lot of dead hives, and either has some good manuka sites/ is scared of those who have a share in the dead hives / hasn't checked the honey or hive market recently / has found a sucker to buy them

@manz are you being targeted or are you the only operator in the area? This is terrible. A bit I find particularly bad is that it’s likely a beekeeper doing it.

Has anyone got anything more sophisticated than coloured or branded frames? RFID or tracking or anything?

19 hours ago, cBank said:

@manz are you being targeted or are you the only operator in the area? This is terrible. A bit I find particularly bad is that it’s likely a beekeeper doing it.

Has anyone got anything more sophisticated than coloured or branded frames? RFID or tracking or anything?

I got some quite sophisticated technology ..... but we are not really allowed to talk about it anymore.

• Haha 2