jamesc

State of the Nation.

Well, I'll tell you what ..... it's good to be home.

I went up north a few weeks ago to the Bee conference, and it took a little while to make it back down south. Five weeks to be precise.

And as  I travelled back down south I reflected on the time away , the people I had met , and how, when you step away from your business you sort of chill out and take stock of the situation you percieve yourself to be in. You look in from out .

I've got a lot of time for  that North Island "Brotown" where we had our base camp .... our jump off point for the mother load in the boom days when we sold kanuka as manuka and made 14 bucks a kilo on honey dew that was a primo blender.

But all good things come to an end .... and now is probably a good time to let the base camp go and move on.

There is no doubt, you Pig Islanders are a different breed. You  are open and welcoming to total strangers. We were priveliged to be able to leave Base camp unlocked for several  summers and return to find the big screen TV and lazy boys still there, the unlocked house mouse free, and a very stale box of the Dr's Remedy .That is humbling. Thankyou.

And  there is no doubt that the East Cape is the  Bees lucky country. It has the climate and it has the floral source that the world is hungry for.  I had a young man here at home last week end who was keen to get into the bee industry. I suggested he work for us for a summer or two to learn the trade and then head north, find a sweet Wahini with thousands of hectares of family land and he would be set for life. 

It's a twelve hour drive from the sweet spot up north to the ferry ..... jump on the boat and have a snooze .... and one is transported to another world. The roads are empty, the mountains majestic, and the weather a lot cooler.

And as  I cruised the  Earthquake route home up the Wairau valley to the Lewis pass  and saw for myself the new vineyards going in and the confidence of an industry that was once in disarray ..... it brought home to me  that when one is down in the doldrums and selling assets to make ends meet,  there is always hope.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

it brought home to me  that when one is down in the doldrums and selling assets to make ends meet,  there is always hope.

So does this mean that if I'm not down in the doldrums and not selling anything I'm hopeless ?

• Haha 2

On 1/08/2019 at 9:22 PM, yesbut said:

So does this mean that if I'm not down in the doldrums and not selling anything I'm hopeless ?

I guess if you are not selling anything to make ends meet and not in the doldrums, then you are contributing to the money pot that is building all those new roads up north.

I just spent two weeks wandering around the South Island taking an old mate on a boys trip. South Island roads are so much smoother  and less potholed than the North Island roads. Beautiful bush almost everywhere and manuka all over the place including  hundreds of acres sprayed to death on the Milford Road. Saw lots of hives but most seemed well spread out and not big sites. Roads were almost empty anywhere away from towns but I was a bit disappointed with roads like the hast pass and the Crown Road over Cardrona which while picturesque were not anywhere near as rugged as I was hoping for and we have more exciting roads here. Milford was a bit more real especially with heavy snow around both ends of the homer tunnel. I like where I live but the South Island is dropdead gorgeous.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, john berry said:

manuka all over the place

11 minutes ago, john berry said:

hives but most seemed well spread out and not big sites.

does that mean theres lots of space to move hives into the south John, we could go to 2million

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, john berry said:

the Crown Road over Cardrona which while picturesque were not anywhere near as rugged as I was hoping fo

Still really exciting at 5.30 when Qtown workers head home to Wanaka !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

does that mean theres lots of space to move hives into the south John, we could go to 2million

No doubt some mug will try!

I saw this near Te Anau  and went back for another look. He was still there the next day so I suspect too many sweads  in his diet.

Beekeeper Loo Compressed.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

She looks nice !!

11 hours ago, jamesc said:

She looks nice !!

nice legs

Some of you guys have been working in the hills wayyyy  too long.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, john berry said:

Some of you guys have been working in the hills wayyyy  too long.

You know the saying John,"What happens in the hills, stays in the hills, and theres enough animals for everyone".

• Haha 1

I saw some matagouri mermaids on my trip south. Maybe I'm getting old but I preferred the cheese rolls which are another South Island speciality. The muscle pie I had in Havelock was my favourite for the trip but cheese rolls were a close second.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1