Trevor Gillbanks

August 2019 Apiary Diary

Posted (edited)

No darn it, we have too many possums 

Edited by yesbut
  • Sad 1

I thunk my quandry is that if the recommendation is to not take meat til four months after the poisoning operation ..... what then with honey ..... should we hang fire from placing bees for four months as well ?  

In your case I'd hang fire for 12 months !

Um .... why in my case ....?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Um .... why in my case ....?

Cos you already got plenty honey, unless your shop till's running red hot.

Edited by yesbut
  • Haha 2

Oh .....😘... Yeah nah ..... pretty quite on the shop front..... the chinese are rioting and not into buying honey ..... a few other clients are negotiating but not prepared to pay the price .... and I have run out of cunning plans..... for the time being.

Must be that i've run out of money and had to limit my Doctor's  visits.

On another thought, I'm watching the news and the gaming industry looking for Gvt funding to grow a  growing industry. I've heard that before somewhere ..... did'nt the Gvt want to grow the honey industry a few years ago ...... where are they now when the crap has hit the fan ..... I know one thing for sure ..... I'd prefer a honey sandwich  to a  computer game sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Went out and fetched the selected starter hive today, three boxes of bees, and when I cracked it open I broke apart a good amount of drone brood - no mites in there.   The Queen will go into a nuc in the next few days and will be one of the breeders to be grafted from - first graft scheduled for August 26th.  

IMG_4059.JPG

• Like 8

No grafting here in this neck of the woods next week!

• Like 1

I don’t think we’ll be grafting for a few weeks either. Far to wet and windy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

I don’t think we’ll be grafting for a few weeks either. Far to wet and windy. 

Yep .

about 6, weeks ago the weather turned nasty.

We have nice days , but not often 3 or 4 in a row .

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Yep .

about 6, weeks ago the weather turned nasty.

We have nice days , but not often 3 or 4 in a row .

Yes. It’s like winter has finally turned up and dumped a whole winter worth of rain in 3 weeks. The ground is so wet our Ute got stuck on the lawn, and we live in top of a hill. 

• Like 3

It’s a shame because there is an awful lot of flowers out that are not being serviced. 

7 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

It’s a shame because there is an awful lot of flowers out that are not being serviced. 

My macadamias are covered in buds .

I am thinking , please sulk and don't open till the weather comes nice . 

58 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Yes. It’s like winter has finally turned up and dumped a whole winter worth of rain in 3 weeks. The ground is so wet our Ute got stuck on the lawn, and we live in top of a hill. 

We have had 670mls of our average 1400ml yr .

Catching up fast , too fast .😁

• Agree 1

It has been very wet here in Manawatu over the last month.

However the bees are building nicely.

I did my first round this week (4 months since I last looked into a hive).  Of the 50 hives I run, I have a dead out of 5 hives.  2 starvation and 3 of queen failure (I knew the queens were failing in April and had hoped that they would make it thru.

All the old OA/Gl staples have been removed and replaced with new ones.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

My bees are busy (flat out busy ) pollinating early blueberries next door .

There is now a much longer window for blueberry pollination with a newer variety of evergreen blueberries in full flower now . They must be quite addictive because the high winds and rain don’t stop them working 

• Like 4

We are still getting a lot of wasps in some of our hives, every hive now has a reducer on, never stopped seeing wasps this year. 

• Agree 1

We are coping with temps over 30C and at least next week also.. Really dry and hot.. Bees strong ( too strong), not rarely with 10 frames of brood.. Now I can see starting of making honey arches.. There will be quite an army to feed overwinter.. But I believe they know what are doing.. Some queens failed and I will merge mostly with others, since I am motivated to reduce the colony numbers.. The hazelnuts are now in focus for me..

snake au van.jpg

hot hot.jpg

hot hot hot.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Goran said:

We are coping with temps over 30C and at least next week also.

It does look hot .

Did you know we have no snakes in NZ ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

It does look hot .

Did you know we have no snakes in NZ ?

I didn't know. Interesting. This one is non venomous - The Aesculapian snake. Even it tried to bite me or fainted bite toward me, for which I can't blame. Cause seconds before I ran with car over it ( luckily not harmed). I went to see is it OK, it was scared and reacted so. It looked as old branch on the road, in a moment I pass above it I realized it was a snake..

• Like 2

Looks like someone (you ?) has bent it's tail

7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Looks like someone (you ?) has bent it's tail

I watched it closely while it was moving to the high grass. It moved normally and haven't seen some damage, I presume it would be with dirt and squashed if stepped on it. 

At my place we have a lot of snakes, not rarely I see them but never had bitten by one. They move away when people approach. Only one venomous species is at my place - common European adder.

4 hours ago, Goran said:

We are coping with temps over 30C and at least next week also.. Really dry and hot.. Bees strong ( too strong), not rarely with 10 frames of brood.. Now I can see starting of making honey arches.. There will be quite an army to feed overwinter.. But I believe they know what are doing.. Some queens failed and I will merge mostly with others, since I am motivated to reduce the colony numbers.. The hazelnuts are now in focus for me..

snake au van.jpg

hot hot.jpg

hot hot hot.jpg

Why do they only have two boxes ?

I already shuffled them for winter. QEs are out. Up is brood. But since we had unexpected flow of goldenrod and white clover bees press the brood down with stores. But this is temporary cause after it, hardly any food will be available. So at the end most of cluster will be in upper box with honey arches in mid frames and full with stores at the ends. 10-15kg of stores are enough in October to colony develop nicely in spring. When I see in upper boxes nice arches and side frames full, I don't have to worry. Bottom box usually is empty with stores going into winter.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

My two colonies are looking good, not too much brood, a bit of honey, plenty of bees, big fat gorgeous shiny Qs, nice & quiet.....I'm happy. 

Stuck a gapless layer of OA towels between boxes.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, yesbut said:

My two colonies are looking good, not too much brood, a bit of honey, plenty of bees, big fat gorgeous shiny Qs, nice & quiet.....I'm happy. 

Stuck a gapless layer of OA towels between boxes.

Are any of you guys/gals that are replacing winter/autumn ox strips with another set, checking mite levels first?