Trevor Gillbanks

August 2019 Apiary Diary

19 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Sounds like you got to them just in time , just before your mite counts skyrocket with all that brood emerging 

Thanks - I hope you’re right. The hives are way ahead of where they were this time last year. Is that what everyone is seeing?

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, cBank said:

Thanks - I hope you’re right. The hives are way ahead of where they were this time last year. Is that what everyone is seeing?

Yes , but only because mine haven’t collapsed with mites this winter .

Id put mine in the ‘normal ‘ build up phase . 

Just kicking into life with the odd exception that is 3 x 3/4 boxes full of bees 

I was really surprised at the high mite counts. The brood pattern is good, there are no chewed capping, no DWV, they are not all defensive and horrible like last time it got bad.

Lots of nice white wax and good quantities of happy bees - or so I thought.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stoney said:

When and what was the last treatment? 

I have found with heavily infested colonies oxalic staples are much slower to clean them up than synthetic. 

I have turned around a 250 odd counted colony with oxalic but will admit adding 2 frames of good clean emerging brood at the same time definitely was a big part of the turn around. 

I missed stapling a hive in March, went back in July and it was on its way out, mites visible and dwv so I done the same thing, added a frame of capped brood and put staples and bayvarol in.

Ill add a photo of how it went next time I get around to the site. 

Until two or three weeks ago we'd had a very mild Winter, but the last few weeks have made up for it with a lot of rain and wind and cold.  I've eased right off stimulatory feeding as hives weren't taking the cold syrup down.  The forecast looks poor for the next few weeks too.  

• Good Info 2

Tauranga definitely cold last week!  The wind was bitter

On 7/08/2019 at 4:00 PM, kaihoka said:

it is hard for small time beek to buy staples.

maybe if i got a group together it would worth while in number for phil to sell to amateurs

Or sus out a near by beek who's using them and get him to add some extra to his next order. 

@kaihoka would have to be the only beekeeper in New Zealand who doesn't have a near-by beek.......🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

@kaihoka would have to be the only beekeeper in New Zealand who doesn't have a near-by beek.......🤪

I am wondering how that effects my varroa control .

If I effectively kill all the varroa in my hive with my autumn treatment where are the varroa going to come from to reinfect the hive .

9 hours ago, Mummzie said:

No you are wrong.My nearest beekeeper is 8km away in a straight line and I do not have varroa and have not treated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

No you are wrong.My nearest beekeeper is 8km away in a straight line and I do not have varroa and have not treated.

That is interesting.

I do not think I have much of a varroa issues again till the migrants arrive in november .

But the nuc I take away to mate in spring could bring them back

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

That is interesting.

I do not think I have much of a varroa issues again till the migrants arrive in november .

You probably need to bare in mind the migrant hives will have been under treatment right up until they land on your doorstep so mite numbers should be very low 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

And another news story - beekeeping I’m abandoned lots in Detroit - here.

Imagine buying a section for US$340.

Edited by cBank
  • Like 2

Spent the last two days doing the spring round on some hives. Thought they would be way more advanced given the warm winter but they were behind on what I would expect for this time of year even in areas with plenty of early spring pollen. About a third of the hives yesterday had not even started laying although they had plenty of bees and honey. Most of them were still heavy and I'm feeding honey to any that need it. There is plenty of time for them to come away and just working them will stimulate them to some extent. Filthy day today with screaming Norwest winds and showers up against the Rangers were I was working. I hate the north-west wind.

13 hours ago, Bighands said:

Have you done an alcohol wash on 350 nurse Bees? 

13 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Have you done an alcohol wash on 350 nurse Bees? 

No but I have enough experience to notice if anything is wrong

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I hate the north-west wind. 

It was a souwest here , just as nasty and screaming .

48 minutes ago, Bighands said:

No but I have enough experience to notice if anything is wrong

You may have a lot of experience Bighands but one thing that experience has taught me is that without mite washes the Beekeeper is all but blind

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

You may have a lot of experience Bighands but one thing that experience has taught me is that without mite washes the Beekeeper is all but blind

Sorry to hijack this thread,is ur ph number still same as on ur profile @Philbee

7 hours ago, Phil46 said:

Sorry to hijack this thread,is ur ph number still same as on ur profile @Philbee

lol
ends in 78

Came accross this gem of info this morning.... in MPI’s ‘Harvesting wild animals for petfood training booklet’

3C8071A0-49C5-403F-AD89-0BF0793C665D.jpeg

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Came accross this gem of info this morning.... in MPI’s ‘Harvesting wild animals for petfood training booklet’

I had heard 6 mths and even then don't eat any organ meat. 

• Agree 1

You shouldn't be surprised. 1080 was originally isolated and developed by Sth African farming interests to reduce the population of indigenous wild dogs.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

Have they dropped a bit round your neck of the woods lately?