Beefulla

Apps for beekeeping

I'm keen to hear feedback on the use of apps in beekeeping. There seems to be a fair few of them. Our company has MyApiary and to be honest I still cant decide whether it improves beekeeping above the old forms of keeping records - notebook and pen. 

The only app that would be useful is one where a hammer smacks you on the head whenever you decide to look at your phone instead of  looking through your hives.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Haha 1

On 17/07/2019 at 7:58 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

You can't beat the notebook and pen

I use a notebook with letters down one side A to Z, makes finding each site really fast and easy. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/07/2019 at 8:55 AM, Dennis Crowley said:

The only app that would be useful is one where a hammer smacks you on the head whenever you decide to look at your phone instead of  looking through your hives.

Yeah my feeling after using one. More ticket clippers jumping in on the action

I've looked but not found anything computer or app based that provides what I want.  Nucs are numbered and I use a notebook for them , for Queen raising a notebook and write on frames etc also mating nucs are numbered, and for hives mainly by writing on the lid or tape placed on a different position on the lid tells me something.  Some info gets transferred into a master spreadsheet daily for easy future reference eg strips in, eg feeding done eg last visit eg action required at site etc.

• Agree 1

For me the best record is writing on the lid with a posca  queen marker as they last, unlike a vivid.

• Agree 3

On 20/07/2019 at 1:08 PM, Philbee said:

For me the best record is writing on the lid with a posca  queen marker as they last, unlike a vivid.

Alfex tag pen works great on steel lids can generally read it a year later

• Like 1