yesbut

Nosey parker question for the commercials....

No silly.... I bought the rimu benchtop and units off trade me for some cash and pots of honey.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Maggie James said:

I thought that nowadays the onus was on the owner of a facility  e.g. the landowner, building owner etc. 

Essentially, OSH can behave like the Gestapo. In the event of an investigation they will seek out and find some way to pin blame on someone or everyone, they nit pick hard enough and will eventually find something. And follow that with business destroying sized fines.

To be safe you got to have every box ticked, and then you will still not be safe. From OSH that is.

Frankly, I have a H&S manual, and fill in the odd near miss report (tripped over or something), just to make it look like i am trying. But pretty sure if anything happened I would get slammed. Just glad i am near retirement and won't have to bear this stupidity much longer.

Have accidents reduced since all this was introduced? Not according to ACC.

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

30756090-D4BB-4AFB-AE3A-96FE5F40540A.jpeg

Note ‘Builder Bobs favorite tool on the floor.

LOL 😄

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

I put a new kitchen in , refurbished the living room, paint job inside an out, and now is up for sale.

hopefully it will go quickly and ican tell the bank to relax.

3FB45110-51DD-4C80-B050-D4096FEDC5A3.jpeg

It looks like an amazing spot !

where is it ?

are you advertising it yet ?

@Alastair

do most land owners who have hives on their place have HS documents even if the payment is a few jars of honey .

If that really was the case not many landowners would bother .

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

None i deal with. However it will become more common.

In my manual there is some hazard identifying box ticking crap i do that supposedly keeps the landowner out of trouble if something happens. Haven't had to test it yet, luckily.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reality here is safety is paramount for and your staff, how do you prove you are safety conscious without some sort of paper trail showing your efforts? 

Here we are now buried in paper covered in ticked boxes, sign in sign outs, minutes  of weekly safety meetings recorded etc etc. 

ass covering is the game, if you dont want to play it and something hits the fan... you maybe the one left holding the potty. 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

On 11/07/2019 at 10:04 AM, Maru Hoani said:

Generally there isn't enough honey up north to run double broods with supers on top, all you end up with is full hives with no crop. 

But I have had the odd one full up a 3/4 on a really good season

Just curious,with this situation,would running a double brood witha queen in each,overcome them filling the brood boxes with excess honey? im guessing swarm control would need to be spot on .

28 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

Just curious,with this situation,would running a double brood witha queen in each,overcome them filling the brood boxes with excess honey? im guessing swarm control would need to be spot on .

Possibly, iv never run 2 Queen hives as its easier to run to singles

• Like 1

On 21/07/2019 at 3:55 PM, Alastair said:

The bridge may be rated suitably for the farmers tractor, but not for the beekeepers truckload of honey. In such a situation a sign could bring the situation into OSH compliance.

I once worked for a beekeeper who had a site that had to be accessed by crossing a very old and dodgy looking bridge. The instructions from my boss were to "be careful" when crossing it. I never really figured out how to "be careful" when crossing it, i either had to drive over it, or not drive over it. :35_thinking:

Driving over it slowly is usually best, super last or honey it off first so the load isn't massave

• Like 1

On 21/07/2019 at 3:57 PM, Dennis Crowley said:

sorry CraBee, you are not correct in this statement. You as the landowner are not discharged of any responsibility. There was a case here in an orchard where a employee of a packhouse doing leaf sampling on an orchard, rolled a quad bike and died. She had maps of the orchard and was told not to drive down a pathway but go around another way, and had all the H&S paper work ticked off. the orchard owner, orchard manager, packhouse and Zespri were all fined when it went to court. 

To know if you are in the line of responsibility, just follow the money trail, whoever clips the ticket along the way is in the line of responsibility if OSH so desire. 

And one case has no bearing on another case, thats the issue with OSH, they almost make up their minds on the day as to what they going to fine you for and who they going to fine. 

I think I know the case you are talking about Zespri and the pack house settled out of court( not cheap by any means) not sure about the employer  (Laboratory) the orchard pleaded not guilty and won but still had legal cost of over $300 k and a very stressful couple of years preparing for the case 

Is anyone here slightly happier about the upcoming season's market prospect yet ?  Or is the backlog still filling the back of the shed  ?

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Is anyone here slightly happier about the upcoming season's market prospect yet ?  Or is the backlog still filling the back of the shed  ?

With the world economy looking increasingly shaky (NZ too), a lack of "growth" all round, it will be an interesting season!

• Agree 1

The backlog is still in the shed ......but spring is aways a time for optimism as the snowdrops, bluebells, and daffodils  appear. The days lengthen , the bees start to hum and arrive at the front door with loads of pollen.  And our minds start to scheme and hatch the grand plan for the season ..... moving  bees to warm spots to pump with light syrup to get the queen cranking ..... and really cranking as I want 12 frames of brood from 120 hives by mid september to go into  600 nucs. And then I want some settled weather and 90% mating.

We've stacked ten pallets of honey boxes in front of the all the drums in the shed .....  so now the honey is out of sight, and  out of mind.  I am working on the game plan of making  honey I might sell one day  rather  than no honey .....

There are of course issues. The total lack of cashflow is the biggest issue . As we arrived off the gravel at the main highway there was a traffic cop sat at the intersection.  

I told Main Man to smile nicely.  We had no rego, cof or miles. 

But at least we had diesel.

We waved and looked innocent. He must have been busy on his phone talking to the missus.

Life can only get better .... eh !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We had no rego, cof or miles. 

Have you thought about farm  rego .

I do not see how traveling between apiaries is any different than traveling between farm blocks.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

16 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I love your positivity @jamesc wish I could find some from somewhere !

I've just sent you a heap of mine, I've got plenty. 😁

Frazz, there is no doubt the situation is gut wrenching ....  truck loads of dead hives, no money coming in but money going out like a tidal wave on all the fixed costs ..... rates, power, insurance, rego, wages, family and food .....

But you know what .... Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life ... I  focus on the small goals for the day with the thought that small goals achieved will feed into the bigger picture.

I don't get too attached to possesions. If it's saleable and we need to sell, then away she goes. And when the good times return we can replace it if we really want to.

The secret is to be flexible and enjoy the day for what it is. And that might just be the sweet flavour of the lunchtime honey sandwich ..... or the rice and beans for tea , 234 day in a row . I happen to like rice and beans. The family is  still learning !!

7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I've just sent you a heap of mine, I've got plenty. 😁

Maybe Frazz needs  a motorcycle  to get the adrenalin going !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

i find it a bit strange that there is not a lot more beekeepers suffering these lose's that a few of us are getting, referring to the dead hives of cause,

31 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

i find it a bit strange that there is not a lot more beekeepers suffering these lose's that a few of us are getting, referring to the dead hives of cause,

I think there have been quite a few on here, from up North to down South and in between, even out in the Hauraki Gulf,  all with similar stories and Nosema like symptoms.  

• Like 1

There have been massive losses in the Waikato . Much higher than 50% losses . Most guys just don’t talk about it I think 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 3

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

There have been massive losses in the Waikato . Much higher than 50% losses . Most guys just don’t talk about it I think 

thats a bit scary

I’ve had a hive loss here and there but major loss was stock damage on one site. 

I’ve lost a number of nucs but that’s expected. Hive losses would be less 5%

Only thing i can can add is that late Winter / early Spring for last couple of seasons I’ve fed pollen patties with a honey bee healthy mix in it, and this season I’m feeding bought made up patties and a squirt of honey bee healthy in syrup onto the bees. I have no evidence this has helped......but is about the only thing I can think of that may be a bit different from other bk’s

• Like 1

Only halfway through the spring round but so far very few losses with a couple of drone layers and a handful of queenless. Fed a few sites on pollen substitute last spring  but most got none and not using it this year.

• Like 2

As long as major looses are always associated with PPB and not ever uncontrollable forces driven by the natural world , why would anyone speak up .

• Agree 3

Discounting the two nasty Nosema's till it's a proven I still think a lot of losses will be of seasonal influence. Fierce hot and late summer, probably more robbing than usual due lack of flow (at times) and it's effect on Queens/mating.

Something I have often wondered about: our sugar for syrup is Australian in origin I think. Are there any influences there? I know little about growing cane sugar. Are there chemicals used in the growing or processing that we should be aware of?

• Like 4