Jump to content

Nosey parker question for the commercials....


Recommended Posts

Nice one @kaihoka I like these types of agreements.

 

My plan for the coming spring: head down bum up

 

I've dropped hive numbers back a bit and streamlined the  business over the past year. About to start feeding honey back to hives, I've changed my strategy away from feeding syrup and set aside a few hundred boxes of honey for my hives. I've also left a box of honey on them this past autumn. 

 

Other than that just business as usual for me, with one eye watching my costs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put it this way. I am close to retirement and beekeeping is about the only thing i know.   So, i'm in the process of selling around 1/2 my hives and will be working the remainder to the max.

In my view , which , means nothing , what you have done is good. It shows good faith that both parties have had a discussion and are aware of risks. What I like about your agreement is you have admitt

Agree and disagree Dennis. Agree in so far as if the block can generate you $260,000 per annum, but you pay $160,000, you make a $100,000 profit.   In theory.   Thing about 300 hec

Posted Images

Hi Harlan how's that Ezyloader going? 🙂

 

About feeding honey, take care. That's how I was trained and until a few years ago I kept a stash of honey for feed and nuc making and stuff. Always seemed to work well.

 

Until disaster struck, a nearby site to me lost several hives to AFB, my bees robbed them and the honey was stored. All this unknown to me at the time, and no symptoms showed in my hives till the following spring, AFTER i had used that honey as feed. Result, major AFB outbreak took me 3 years to eliminate. 

 

Some people badmouth sugar, but i have never fed honey since.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of bees will not be fed sugar as per normal this spring .

Probably as much from  honey left on hives .

This must have an impact on businesses set up to provide sugar feeds to bees.

And the  infrastructure supporting bee keeping generally must be struggling .

I wonder whats happening with ecrotek and ceracell and other companies who expanded in boom times.

1 hour ago, Harlan Cox said:

Nice one @kaihoka I like these types of agreements. 

I think if you can not trust the person you are dealing with you shouldnt have them on your property in the first place .

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/07/2019 at 9:15 PM, Alastair said:

 

Agree and disagree Dennis. Agree in so far as if the block can generate you $260,000 per annum, but you pay $160,000, you make a $100,000 profit.

 

In theory.

 

Thing about 300 hectares is that a block that size, most of it or all of it will be within flying range of bees dumped just outside the boundary, and a block that size will certainly attract interest from non incumbents.

 

But the biggest problem with that particular deal is risk. The landowner seeks to tie someone into a 10 year contract. We have seen over the last couple of years how standards, and the market, can change. Who wants to bet 1.6 million on what might change over the next 10 years. 

 

 

I was told to put I'n my tender to keep a Kanuka block that I was in for a few seasons and put 75 per hive as my offer, luckily someone else had a higher proposal and took my 5 year contract, 

Now I'm neighbouring the area in a big way paying 50 per hive just to rub it in to the migrant beek. I wonder if they'll be back next season lol

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, if the guy is paying more that $75 for a kanuka block, what sized crop would he be likely to get? Just, to me, sounds like if you got to skim more than $75 per hive off your profit from non manuka honey, it's going to make things tough, maybe I'm lucky i don't operate in the North!

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was getting 11.6-22kgs per hive of kanuka there but have since moved half a km down the road to metalled access which is far better than having to tow my bike or sxs around, also the migrant was running doubles with a super on top which will result in a next to nill crop in my area so the question is how long before they're out? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm lucky to get $6 for kanuka so at 11.6 ro 22 kg per hive it would be $69.6 per hive to $132 per hive, or let's say average $100.80. Subtract something over $75 hive rental and the guy has got about enough to buy his mite treatment.

 

Unless there is something i am not aware of, this guy will last one season, killed by the landowner.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Well I'm lucky to get $6 for kanuka so at 11.6 ro 22 kg per hive it would be $69.6 per hive to $132 per hive, or let's say average $100.80. Subtract something over $75 hive rental and the guy has got about enough to buy his mite treatment.

 

Unless there is something i am not aware of, this guy will last one season, killed by the landowner.

i suspect thats going to happen to a lot.

there will be a lot of beeks walking away from blocks because land owner wants excessivly high rent.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

 

Hi Maru, for my educational purposes can you please explain this? Cheers

Generally there isn't enough honey up north to run double broods with supers on top, all you end up with is full hives with no crop. 

But I have had the odd one full up a 3/4 on a really good season

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Generally there isn't enough honey up north to run double broods with supers on top, all you end up with is full hives with no crop. 

But I have had the odd one full up a 3/4 on a really good season

 

It’s generally the same deal down here Maru 

  • Good Info 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/07/2019 at 8:10 PM, CraBee said:

A landowner has an obligation under the H&S legislation to point out all hazards on a property to a land user.  In doing so they discharge some of their legislative responsibility eg beekeeper never under any circumstances drive over that bridge it is not safe.  If the land user then drives over the bridge the responsibility and liability is with the land user....it is not to do with contracting out of the legislation rather complying with it.

If the bridge is unsafe, access needs to be blocked off or the bridge removed.

Accidents often when someone simply forgets a warning or gets confused.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The bridge may be rated suitably for the farmers tractor, but not for the beekeepers truckload of honey. In such a situation a sign could bring the situation into OSH compliance.

 

I once worked for a beekeeper who had a site that had to be accessed by crossing a very old and dodgy looking bridge. The instructions from my boss were to "be careful" when crossing it. I never really figured out how to "be careful" when crossing it, i either had to drive over it, or not drive over it. :35_thinking:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9 July 2019 at 8:10 PM, CraBee said:

A landowner has an obligation under the H&S legislation to point out all hazards on a property to a land user.  In doing so they discharge some of their legislative responsibility eg beekeeper never under any circumstances drive over that bridge it is not safe.  If the land user then drives over the bridge the responsibility and liability is with the land user....it is not to do with contracting out of the legislation rather complying with it.

sorry CraBee, you are not correct in this statement. You as the landowner are not discharged of any responsibility. There was a case here in an orchard where a employee of a packhouse doing leaf sampling on an orchard, rolled a quad bike and died. She had maps of the orchard and was told not to drive down a pathway but go around another way, and had all the H&S paper work ticked off. the orchard owner, orchard manager, packhouse and Zespri were all fined when it went to court. 

To know if you are in the line of responsibility, just follow the money trail, whoever clips the ticket along the way is in the line of responsibility if OSH so desire. 

And one case has no bearing on another case, thats the issue with OSH, they almost make up their minds on the day as to what they going to fine you for and who they going to fine. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alastair said:

The bridge may be rated suitably for the farmers tractor, but not for the beekeepers truckload of honey. In such a situation a sign could bring the situation into OSH compliance.

 

I once worked for a beekeeper who had a site that had to be accessed by crossing a very old and dodgy looking bridge. The instructions from my boss were to "be careful" when crossing it. I never really figured out how to "be careful" when crossing it, i either had to drive over it, or not drive over it. :35_thinking:

There is a very famous Beek/Bridge case in our history

Didnt end well for anyone

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

sorry CraBee, you are not correct in this statement. You as the landowner are not discharged of any responsibility. There was a case here in an orchard where a employee of a packhouse doing leaf sampling on an orchard, rolled a quad bike and died. She had maps of the orchard and was told not to drive down a pathway but go around another way, and had all the H&S paper work ticked off. the orchard owner, orchard manager, packhouse and Zespri were all fined when it went to court. 

To know if you are in the line of responsibility, just follow the money trail, whoever clips the ticket along the way is in the line of responsibility if OSH so desire. 

And one case has no bearing on another case, thats the issue with OSH, they almost make up their minds on the day as to what they going to fine you for and who they going to fine. 

And there lies the problem ......

 

It's all political and has very little to do with whether or not the right thing has or hasn't been done .

2 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

I thought that nowadays the onus was on the owner of a facility  e.g. the landowner, building owner etc. 

Not quite .

 

It is far better to have both the owner and contractor have their own H&S plans 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Business as usual.

sold some assets and resdy to tip more money intobthe big hole . It is after all only a hobby!

Im quite pleased with how this asset turned out.

like i said a while ago.... beekeepers meed to be able to multi task in times of low returns.0

DA6BB51A-B282-4450-A535-9328040D7641.jpeg

30756090-D4BB-4AFB-AE3A-96FE5F40540A.jpeg

Note ‘Builder Bobs favorite tool on the floor.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Business as usual.

sold some assets and resdy to tip more money intobthe big hole . It is after all only a hobby!

Im quite pleased with how this asset turned out.

like i said a while ago.... beekeepers meed to be able to multi task in times of low returns.0

DA6BB51A-B282-4450-A535-9328040D7641.jpeg

30756090-D4BB-4AFB-AE3A-96FE5F40540A.jpeg

Note ‘Builder Bobs favorite tool on the floor.

 

Looking good @jamesc !  We stained the deck and repainted the house (well most of it is done, still more to do).  Did you sell any honey or just "other" assets?  Good to see you are up for another round this year.   I got to a few sites today and was surprised to see a bit more varroa than I'd like to see, still with the mild Winter I shouldn't be surprised...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha .... I’m a better beekeeper than builder... those ryobi skillsaws help to tidy things up.

No honey sold .... I had a rash thought the other day to spend the summer under the tutellage of s master wood carver I met on my travels after the conference. Maybe be more relaxed on the bees ths year seeing ss ee reslly don’t “need” more honey.... and follow some other creativity.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...