Sneaking a peek under the lids of our hives yesterday because it's too cold to open, one of them has numerous cockroaches diving for cover among the frames. Numerous as in maybe five, and ranging from around 5mm to around 12mm. I replaced the lid and came back in half an hour to the same sort of activity. I'd be very surprised if they were the same roaches and that seems to suggest an infestation.

Advice please, on whether cockroaches in a hive are BAD and what to do about it. Ought the girls to be dealing to them? If not why not.

Thanks.

its fine.

you will find lots of different insects in and around hives.

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, tristan said:

its fine.

you will find lots of different insects in and around hives.

But roaches? Wow! I guess they’re seeking shelter and will be dispatched once spring buildup starts

4 hours ago, Josh said:

But roaches? Wow! I guess they’re seeking shelter and will be dispatched once spring buildup starts

I always get roaches under the lids.  If you kill all you see, then there will be just a many on the next visit.  Mind you I don't like the beggars.  Yuck.

• Agree 3

We have lots of cockroaches here too. The hives are warm and dry, it seems logical to breed there. The bees don't seem to mind and rarely do I ever see a cockroach inside a hive. However, I never need to kill them because the chickens gobble them up like potato chips. When a hive is being opened I call for them and they know the drill for a free meal. Very satisfying to watch.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Josh said:

they shelter in hives. 

get a few in the brood boxes, get a few in supers.

thats one of the curses of extraction is they come into the shed inside supers.

Edited by tristan
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

We have lots of cockroaches here too. The hives are warm and dry, it seems logical to breed there. The bees don't seem to mind and rarely do I ever see a cockroach inside a hive. However, I never need to kill them because the chickens gobble them up like potato chips. When a hive is being opened I call for them and they know the drill for a free meal. Very satisfying to watch.

dam more stuff to carry, looks like i will have to take my two chocks on hive inspections now,

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Cockroaches like varoa didn't used to be here. I first saw them on hives in the esk Valley near Napier about 40 years ago and they took no time at all to spread everywhere. They got the name of Gisborne cockroaches for some reason but they are not a New Zealand native. Not really a health hazard and they don't go inside the hives unless they are really weak.

I don't really mind them unless they get inside my veil and start crawling around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My understanding is the big black ones were found here first. Probably via the port, spread probably by rail, when we had one😭

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bron said:

Probably via the port, spread probably by rail,

Yes they started out normal size & got spread out when crossing rail tracks.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Yes they started out normal size & got spread out when crossing rail tracks.

Not recently round here. The big suckers drop off the roof every now and then. We have them under most of our lids freeloading on the hive mats. Ugly damn things. You can stick them in the freezer and they defrost & come back to life. Ewwwww!

1 hour ago, Bron said:

Not recently round here. The big suckers drop off the roof every now and then. We have them under most of our lids freeloading on the hive mats. Ugly damn things. You can stick them in the freezer and they defrost & come back to life. Ewwwww!

What !!!!

This is the type of cockroach commonly found in beehives. They are Australian, but in NZ are called Gisborne cockroaches because they were first found in Gisborne. The main identifiers of this species is the two yellow stripes down each side of the front part of the body, the absense of wings, and the very flat body.

In Australia their habitat is the forest floor and during the day they like to hide under the peeling bark of trees. Which is why they are very flat, they can squeeze into very narrow gaps.

Gisborne exported logs to Australia in the holds of ships, and logs of some other timber types were sent back to NZ on the return trips. It is assumed that is how these cockroaches got here, and once established in Gisborne they spread around the country.

Beehive lids are a perfect habitat for them because they can climb a hive and squeeze under the lid and find a nice warm dry place to hide, exactly mimicking their habit of cilmbing trees and squeezing under bark.

They are a clean living outdoor cockroach that do sometimes wander into houses, but will not survive more than a few days in a house. They are not associated with the spread of disease like some other cockroach species such as German cockroaches.

How do i know all this? I once had to do a course on cockroaches and even sit an exam on them LOL.

cockroach.JPG

• Thanks 2
  • Good Info 5

@Alastairlol! I’ve sat some weird exams, but that takes the prize!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Alastair are there other types of cockroaches in NZ 

we have some huge ones that are pretty disgusting.

The big ones, there are American cockroaches, which are a bigger body mass but they are longer and fatter and have brown wings, they can live outside and inside so are a domestic pest species, and there is the Chinese cockroach which are similar shape to Gisborne cockroaches but a tad fatter and smaller, no wings and almost solid black, they only live outdoors.

13 hours ago, Alastair said:

The big ones, there are American cockroaches, which are a bigger body mass but they are longer and fatter and have brown wings, they can live outside and inside so are a domestic pest species, and there is the Chinese cockroach which are similar shape to Gisborne cockroaches but a tad fatter and smaller, no wings and almost solid black, they only live outdoors.

We got brown cockroaches in the far north, they can be under the lids or in the top feeders by the thousand

The cockroach on Ruud Kleinpaste is in fact a male tree weta .It would be nice if journalists checked their facts.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/07/2019 at 12:06 PM, Manfred said:

What is a good spot for bees? A friend of mine brings his bees in late summer in forests (in Germany), two years ago he stuck with his trailer and could not go to his prefered spot so he set up the hives just at this spot. He described the spot as really bad in his opinion. As the weather improved he wanted to go and move the hives he could not believe how well the bees did at this spot so he left them there and harvested twice as much honey as he did the years before.

What is the temperature there at present? and at night time?

On 1/07/2019 at 5:08 PM, The Frasers said:

Sneaking a peek under the lids of our hives yesterday because it's too cold to open, one of them has numerous cockroaches diving for cover among the frames. Numerous as in maybe five, and ranging from around 5mm to around 12mm. I replaced the lid and came back in half an hour to the same sort of activity. I'd be very surprised if they were the same roaches and that seems to suggest an infestation.

Advice please, on whether cockroaches in a hive are BAD and what to do about it. Ought the girls to be dealing to them? If not why not.

Thanks.

Hi. I grind up snail pellets for cockroaches. Put crashed pellets put on ice cream lid on top of crown board .lift the lid a little for access for cockroaches ,and ants. 

• Good Info 1