Trevor Gillbanks

July 2019 Apiary Diary

Ive experienced this a number of times
The only time that Ive lost lots of the hives is in robbing season.

Winter instances are nowhere near as bad as the Bees just adapt to their new layout.

One of my plums is starting to bud.

40 minutes ago, yesbut said:

One of my plums is starting to bud.

Pic from 1st July 🙂

IMG_20190701_122333.jpg

• Like 4

I'm hoping to have plums like that this year, I'm going to extend the anti - possum avocado electric fence  to our plum trees soon.

26 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I'm hoping to have plums like that this year, I'm going to extend the anti - possum avocado electric fence  to our plum trees soon.

This is one of " Tops" varieties, I think it is Topfirst variety. At my place the most popular are some Čačanka varieties.

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

Dont they 1080 around the hills in your area ,?

8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Dont they 1080 around the hills in your area ,?

No. I wish they did. There was one ground bait campaign in Hira F a few years ago. 

28 minutes ago, yesbut said:

No. I wish they did. There was one ground bait campaign in Hira F a few years ago. 

What you need is a local dairy farm with a TB outbreak .

But the days of the dairy industry co funding big opperations with DOC may be over.

I think our area is free of possums largely because of TB in the local dairy herb when there was money in dairy farming .

Weka have made a big come back here.

We had one come in the cat flap , eat the cat food , traumatise the cat and #### on the carpet this morning .

I am tempted to catch and relocate it .

We have a ridiculous amount of weka around here as soon as we get rid of them another lot move in I hate them.

The world would be a boring place without creatures like the cheeky weka.. years ago on a hunting trip in kahurangi my camp was destroyed by them.. hard cases 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We have a ridiculous amount of weka around here as soon as we get rid of them another lot move in I hate them.

Just because they force you to be tidy !! We've fenced our vege patch.

If wekas dump on carpet while on a diet of ripe puriri berries there is no getting the stain out - cheaper to cut out and repair the section of carpet.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, yesbut said:

Just because they force you to be tidy !! We've fenced our vege patch.

No it’s because they make a hell of a racket and they crap huge dollops of crap all over the place especially the back door !

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We have not had to cope with them for 30 yrs .

I am definitely going to relocate this one .

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

We have not had to cope with them for 30 yrs .

I am definitely going to relocate this one .

You'll be wasting your time. I deported the first one around here about five years ago, and the tranquility lasted about a two weeks, when a whole family turned up.

• Haha 3

On 25/07/2019 at 5:12 PM, yesbut said:

And no-one rang to let you know.....pack of low lifes they must be. 

That's one thing that attracted me to palletising with emlocks.

No losses to wild pigs or cattle, my mate told me some of his even withstood a bit of reversing. 

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

On 22/07/2019 at 3:14 PM, M4tt said:

The high temp today hit 19 degrees . To me , it’s felt more like September than July all month .

I still have 14 hives in FD boxes , so today was the day to start their conversion to 3/4. 

Ive put a mostly drawn 3/4 box on the floor , caught the queen and put her in there with plenty of bees , then a QE , then the old bottom brood box above that .

Above that is a top feeder which I have scraped off a frame of honey from the same hive .

Repeated until all 14 were done. 

I have hives with old drones , emerging drones and drone brood . Big healthy drones . I also have new queens that have mated and started laying sometime in the last two months . So basically winter mated queens , which is unheard of .

Winter here has been lots of fog , but also lots of warm still days 

keep us posted as to how it goes pls

I just went through 3 of my 4. A nearly full 3/4 box of brood in each, a dozen or so drones seen and a few drone cells. Large quantities of fresh nectar and they are building out frames. Looks like the season will be starting soon for me.

• Like 3

I just added a FD broodbox to a couple of strong singles. All sign of winter staples was gone (put in in May), so replaced them. Created a robbing frenzy with all the wax and honey I had to scrape off the top bars 😬😬. Fed them some 1:1 the next evening to stimulate for future queen rearing. 

Might have been a bit premature though with the latest forecast telling me that winter is finally arriving 😢

27 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

I just added a FD broodbox to a couple of strong singles. All sign of winter staples was gone (put in in May), so replaced them. Created a robbing frenzy with all the wax and honey I had to scrape off the top bars 😬😬. Fed them some 1:1 the next evening to stimulate for future queen rearing. 

Might have been a bit premature though with the latest forecast telling me that winter is finally arriving 😢

I always carry 20L mitre 10 buckets they're 10 bucks. 

All scraping goes in and zero robbing

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

I always carry 20L mitre 10 buckets they're 10 bucks. 

All scraping goes in and zero robbing

Good idea, now you getting staples from Phill, you got heaps of buckets 

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Good idea, now you getting staples from Phill, you got heaps of buckets 

I already had 30 full, now I have over 40 since using staples.

I'm currently fulling a bucket every 2 full days out in the field or scraping boxes in the shed, around the same time it takes to use a bucket of staples. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

scraping goes in and zero robbing

You must work really fast. I couldn’t seem to avoid the robbing. 

Good idea about the bucket thanks. 

8 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

You must work really fast. I couldn’t seem to avoid the robbing. 

Good idea about the bucket thanks. 

Mostly work with a mate, I smoke all the hives on the pallet first and Mark them according as I go, then do all the feeding with a pump at the end (top feeders) 

Only managed to do 16 hives today, went to flush out the new sxs feeder setup because it had been sitting in the shade and had managed to cristalise the syrip and seized after I flushed it with water, must be because going from super thick to water put extreme pressure on the ball valves anyway ended up taking every fixing apart before managing to fix it wasting most of my day but saved having to spend another grand. 

• Like 1

You have to laugh at that sort of thing or you’d go mad. The simplest chore taking a day with you doing something removed from the problem (bees are hungry, you’re repairing a broken valve). 

• Like 1