Trevor Gillbanks

July 2019 Apiary Diary

17 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I have seen a new queen curled around an old queen atempting to sting her . 

I guess if you have seen this, the new queen is attempting to get rid of the old girl. 

Sometimes the workers will drive the old queen out.  Yet sometimes if a protected queen cell is put in autumn and the virgin gets back, the workers will tolerate both over winter and into spring, until eventually the old queen gets rid of the younger. 

26 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Does the new queen actually kill the old queen or drive her out of the hive .

I would lie to say.

But before when more queens occur ( like when old queen is lost and lot of emergency queens emerge), I saw in many occasions bees curl around some of them and kill ( when they kill I believe take her out).

I believe bees sort the supercedure or old lady just let it go and die..

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Stoney said:

Each stone is picked for its place, no grinding, sometimes the back is hammered off if it’s too deep. 

Its becoming increasingly more difficult to access our braided riverbeds closer to towns due to the new regional park status.. bollards and wire rope or dug  out trenches can block vehicle access... 

Seriously impressive commitment to detail, very nice

It's been a couple of great days.  I got out to a site today for the first time since April, got to the third hive and take a look at the photo's.  Probably close to 2FD boxes of bees in total over three boxes.  The rest of the site the hives were in the 6/7 frames region so this hive has been marching to the beat of its own drum.  There is an Autumn Queen in there and I always remember this hive being very happy to sting me (including a nice one in the face today), other than that otherwise normal.  I gave it a pollen pattie, syrup and refreshed the OA/Gly staples and added an extra FD brood box.  Next time I head out I'll probably bring the Queen back in a nuc as a breeder, and graft from her.

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

• Like 6
  • Good Info 1

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

It's been a couple of great days.  I got out to a site today for the first time since April, got to the third hive and take a look at the photo's.  Probably close to 2FD boxes of bees in total over three boxes.  The rest of the site the hives were in the 6/7 frames region so this hive has been marching to the beat of its own drum.  There is an Autumn Queen in there and I always remember this hive being very happy to sting me (including a nice one in the face today), other than that otherwise normal.  I gave it a pollen pattie, syrup and refreshed the OA/Gly staples and added an extra FD brood box.  Next time I head out I'll probably bring the Queen back in a nuc as a breeder, and graft from her.

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3985.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

Looks like its pumping a bit early, gonna need a feed. 

11 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Looks like its pumping a bit early, gonna need a feed. 

They were bringing something in, there were a few frames that were maybe 3/4 full of nectar.  I gave them about 5l of 40% so a bit more than stimulation.  I enjoy finding these hives, helps to offset the ones that are a miserable couple of frames.  

I remember having a hive a couple of levels bigger than this two seasons ago.  It was a normal hive going into Winter and then coming out of Winter it was three boxes of bees (no excluder on).  It adjoined forestry and there was a lot of gorse there.  The bees were thick on the frames which were laden.  I remember it taking me about 45 minutes to go through it and track down the Queen.  I ended up bringing her back and grafting a bit from her, although I didn't keep track of the results.

@CraBee
Are you all plastic frames now .?

Posted (edited)

It's a beautiful looking hive but I don't think I would breed from it.. I like hives that conserve their stores and come through winter in reasonable condition but not too strong. They have plenty of time to build up before the honey flow and the last thing I would want is everything two box of bees now.It depends what you want to do with the hives of course but some strains of Italians had a well-deserved reputation to just keep on breeding until they starved. I won't be going into my hives for another three weeks yet and any that can't wait till I get there will get a Darwin award.

Edited by john berry
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, kaihoka said:

@CraBee
Are you all plastic frames now .?

When I started out I inherited wooden frames in nucs I bought but I've been cycling those out slowly.  I've only ever purchased waxed and unwaxed plastic frames and I much prefer them to the wooden ones. 

Why - I find them easier to get out of a hive as the wooden top bar is thicker and more difficult to get under, and, the wooden frames can go "wavy", I think that the bees also seem to draw alot more drone cells on the wooden frames, and sometimes if there is a gap in the comb between it and the bottom bar the bees seem to love to hide swarm cells under there.  Plastic is nice and clean and simple, if you asked me to wire up a wooden frame I'd give you a very vacant look - some beekeeper heh :-)) . I also know a number of bk's who swear by wooden.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, CraBee said:

When I started out I inherited wooden frames in nucs I bought but I've been cycling those out slowly.  I've only ever purchased waxed and unwaxed plastic frames and I much prefer them to the wooden ones. 

Why - I find them easier to get out of a hive as the wooden top bar is thicker and more difficult to get under, and, the wooden frames can go "wavy", I think that the bees also seem to draw alot more drone cells on the wooden frames, and sometimes if there is a gap in the comb between it and the bottom bar the bees seem to love to hide swarm cells under there.  Plastic is nice and clean and simple, if you asked me to wire up a wooden frame I'd give you a very vacant look - some beekeeper heh :-)) . I also know a number of bk's who swear by wooden.  

Every time I think Ive found my last wooden frame another one shows up.

Sometimes they will have a brand and Ill think back fondly to the day I travelled to buy it as a nuc or Hive.
Dansar's name shows up occasionally

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, john berry said:

It's a beautiful looking hive but I don't think I would breed from it.. I like hives that conserve their stores and come through winter in reasonable condition but not too strong. They have plenty of time to build up before the honey flow and the last thing I would want is everything two box of bees now.It depends what you want to do with the hives of course but some strains of Italians had a well-deserved reputation to just keep on breeding until they starved. I won't be going into my hives for another three weeks yet and any that can't wait till I get there will get a Darwin award.

Yes that has occurred to me and I see where you are coming from.  On other sites I've been stimulating hives for quite a few weeks now to get them ready for manuka or we miss the party.  As they get nearer to being ready to be moved I'll grade them and move the ones that are up to it, and leave the others, much I suppose as others do for pollination.  

• Like 1

Your party starts well before mine .. Years ago I had some Northland queens that worked beautifully up Coromandel with its early flow but they died down here. The right bees for the right conditions and if yours is right for you go for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/07/2019 at 10:37 AM, Stoney said:

Fortunately there’s no enemy fire I suppose. The technology of stonemasonry still fits that era though. 

Stoney did you get my email today?

31 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Stoney did you get my email today?

Um... nope.. standby will check.. 

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Um... nope.. standby will check.. 

Mate Ill shout you a donation so you can do messages.

3 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Mate Ill shout you a donation so you can do messages.

😂 Mate...i got 4 email accounts, text, and messenger... life’s complicated enough! 

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

😂 Mate...i got 4 email accounts, text, and messenger... life’s complicated enough! 

To late its good as done

Darn it.. now I owe you... how does 16 drums of Honeydew sound ? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Fair trade but you pay the freight

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

Hell, he only paid a $20.00 donation.  That's about $1.20 per drum.  Oh, Sorry, that sounds about right.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Hell, he only paid a $20.00 donation.  That's about $1.20 per drum.  Oh, Sorry, that sounds about right.

Nup I emailed Grant for a platinum 

• Like 1

Beautiful day here one of those where it feels like spring is almost here.

very mixed bag of hives some good some middling and some rubbish.

good amounts of pollen coming in and it feels great to be out with my head in a beehive again. 

Ive been feeling so negative about the industry over winter I really had lost the desire to do bees anymore but am feeling much better after a day out amongst it .

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Beautiful day here one of those where it feels like spring is almost here.

very mixed bag of hives some good some middling and some rubbish.

good amounts of pollen coming in and it feels great to be out with my head in a beehive again. 

Ive been feeling so negative about the industry over winter I really had lost the desire to do bees anymore but am feeling much better after a day out amongst it .

The birds were all carrying on like it was spring today .

I saw a blackfaced cuckoo shrike the other day , its pretty early for that to be around .

Into a site today for the first time since April.  There were 11 or 12 hives left there, not certain of the number as I'd moved some out

late in the season.  Anyway I was greeted with what you can see in the photo.  There is new fence in the background so presumably

the land owner has had some fencing done, and then let some stock in as its chewed right down and they'd never had stock there before

........there were seven hives left.  Suffice to say I'll be moving these soon too.

IMG_3990.JPG

• Sad 11

And no-one rang to let you know.....pack of low lifes they must be. 

• Agree 6