Trevor Gillbanks

July 2019 Apiary Diary

19 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Were you chasing  kingfish in whanganui inlet or golden bay ?

in the inlet.

I hope you were in the right end

1 minute ago, Markypoo said:

in the inlet.

Did you catch any .

I saw a big one out at the bar 6 weeks ago .

There was a feeding frenzy with big fish after little fish and gannets , gulls and terns diving .

It was a very calm day .

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I hope you were in the right end

No one goes up the wrong end , even the fish don't go there .

Just now, kaihoka said:

Did you catch any .

I saw a big one out at the bar 6 weeks ago .

There was a feeding frenzy with big fish after little fish and gannets , gulls and terns diving .

It was a very calm day .

It was an adventure. On the first day we fished from a boat and my mate hooked a big one riding a ray near the shore. But he had forgotten his net and his gaff was inadequate. So it got away. We spent a couple of days fishing from the shore. Very exciting. They move so fast. I hooked one from the rocks but lost it. We got access through the farms. He is living in the Boat Shed, courtesy of Kaihoka Farmstay. I am now wondering if I met you on my trips up there. I have probably seen your hives!

1 hour ago, Markypoo said:

I will let you know in October when Novopay work out how to pay us. Funnily enough they docked us 1 day pay for our strike within a week, but can't work out how to give us 3% in less than 3 months.

They are probably hoping the interest earned during the 3 months will be able to keep paying @yesbut 😁

@Markypoo

not my hives , the migrants , nice guys .

The coast at the bar is eroding fast .

Back to cliffs with coal seams.

We found some fossil rocks in the sand a month or so ago .

Big chunks of compressed layered leaves .

Very heavy rocks , early angiosperms I think , 80 million yrs old .

IMG_20190722_194739.thumb.jpg.aa69398d4296327cc1c6488358427338.jpg

• Like 14

That’s awesome Kaihoka, is it possible to find these without too much hassle? 

I love me stones.. and stones with ancient remains even better. 

I have a couple of compressed leaf fossils but unknown where they’re from.. 

20 minutes ago, Stoney said:

That’s awesome Kaihoka, is it possible to find these without too much hassle? 

I love me stones.. and stones with ancient remains even better. 

I have a couple of compressed leaf fossils but unknown where they’re from.. 

We grabbed what we could knowing the sea would cover them up soon.

We went back 3 weeks later and found the landscape had all changed but found some chunks I had moved up .

We have a few bits . We tried to split them but they crumble easily .

Some of the best bits we showed to the museum and my son took some to show the motueka DOC.

The guy in there confiscated them , said the whole inlet is DOC land .

WRONG WRONG WRONG.!!!

Even their documents say its not their territory.

I have been back into the Motueka  office and argued with them .

I said I do not want them to go into a black hole in a box somewhere.

The local DOC staff support me and I want them back for the Golden bay office and museum.

Anyway I have a plan .

There is a  local  hall meeting at the end of the month about a proposal to turn the whole area into Ramsar site .

I am going to tell DOC that I will take the remaining fossils to the meeting and tell my story and point out this is just another DOC land grab and stir things up unless I get my rocks back .

If you are ever up this way you are welcome to a piece .

• Like 4

Finders keepers on the beach/ river as far as I’m concerned.. I used to spend hours and days picking up building stone from riverbeds.. apparently if I used machinery I needed a consent but bare hands were fine- labour intensive but worth the effort. 

3D7BB94E-FEF5-4E2E-B23B-CFEB34009BFA.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

We grabbed what we could knowing the sea would cover them up soon.

We went back 3 weeks later and found the landscape had all changed but found some chunks I had moved up .

We have a few bits . We tried to split them but they crumble easily .

Some of the best bits we showed to the museum and my son took some to show the motueka DOC.

The guy in there confiscated them , said the whole inlet is DOC land .

WRONG WRONG WRONG.!!!

Even their documents say its not their territory.

I have been back into the Motueka  office and argued with them .

I said I do not want them to go into a black hole in a box somewhere.

The local DOC staff support me and I want them back for the Golden bay office and museum.

Anyway I have a plan .

There is a  local  hall meeting at the end of the month about a proposal to turn the whole area into Ramsar site .

I am going to tell DOC that I will take the remaining fossils to the meeting and tell my story and point out this is just another DOC land grab and stir things up unless I get my rocks back .

If you are ever up this way you are welcome to a piece .

that seems really heavy handed and unnecessary of them....

14 minutes ago, CraBee said:

that seems really heavy han.ded and unnecessary of them....

I think its just the guys in that office .

DOC administer such a high percentage of the land around here they throw their weight around like they own it .

But they Don't. We , joe public , own it .

DOC  are just public servants who work for us .

They seem to forget that .

39 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Finders keepers on the beach/ river as far as I’m concerned.. I used to spend hours and days picking up building stone from riverbeds.. apparently if I used machinery I needed a consent but bare hands were fine- labour intensive but worth the effort. 

How many days did it take to build that .

Is it an open fire chimney ?

9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Is it an open fire chimney ?

No it’s the top of one of 2  columns, 3.4 m high supporting exposed macro roof trusses, been my winter job. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Stoney said:

That’s impressive work. Is there any grinding? Or do you just pick a whole bunch of stones with 90deg corners?

Edited by Josh

43 minutes ago, Josh said:

That’s impressive work. Is there any grinding? Or do you just pick a whole bunch of stones with 90deg corners?

Each stone is picked for its place, no grinding, sometimes the back is hammered off if it’s too deep. 

Its becoming increasingly more difficult to access our braided riverbeds closer to towns due to the new regional park status.. bollards and wire rope or dug  out trenches can block vehicle access... 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

That is really awesome @Stoney

Would love those in my dream home.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Each stone is picked for its place, no grinding, sometimes the back is hammered off if it’s too deep. 

Its becoming increasingly more difficult to access our braided riverbeds closer to towns due to the new regional park status.. bollards and wire rope or dug  out trenches can block vehicle access... 

Wire rope?  Dug out trenches?  Sounds like something out of a world war I historical account

33 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Wire rope?  Dug out trenches?  Sounds like something out of a world war I historical account

Fortunately there’s no enemy fire I suppose. The technology of stonemasonry still fits that era though. 

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The technology of stonemasonry still fits that era though. 

For those lucky to get the skills for the good things in life, from a bygone era, these seem to be passed on often from previous generations. 

• Agree 1

Into more hives this am saw a wingless Queen and a new Queen - it must have been a Winter mating.  I've never seen that before.  @M4tt mentioned seeing that same thing in his hives.

• Agree 1

Just now, CraBee said:

Into more hives this am saw a wingless Queen and a new Queen - it must have been a Winter mating.  I've never seen that before.  @M4tt mentioned seeing that same thing in his hives.

Out of 14 hives yesterday , 6 had recent laying queens which I caught and marked . Another hive had a new unmated virgin and another had emergency cells and no queen 

Success. 

Ive checked on 5 of the hives I mucked around with yesterday , starting to convert to 3/4. I was a little concerned that I may have locked the queen away from the bees , under the QE. However , I needn’t have worried . The queens are laying and the bees have vacuumed all the honey up out of the feeder and moved it down , so I scraped another frame off for them . 

In three weeks when all the brood above the QE has emerged , I’ll add a second 3/4 box below the QE and start scraping the FD brood box into the feeder .

Ive converted to 3/4 before using syrup , but it works just as well with their honey , so I’ve found .

The empty FD frames will get water blasted , run through the table saw , and rewaxed. The wax from the feeders will get retrieved and recycled back into the frames .

503390F6-8319-4373-B230-DC0843E4F526.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CraBee said:

Sounds like the two queens have had a battle, and the older one has lost.  She prob won't last much longer.

Often in spring, particularly if you have used protected queen cells, you will find two laying queens - great for spring buildup.  The younger one eventually balls the older. 

If the younger one is an autumn mating, you might have a good queen. 

35 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

The younger one eventually balls the older. 

Two queens hhmmmmmm

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Sounds like the two queens have had a battle, and the older one has lost.  She prob won't last much longer.

Often in spring, particularly if you have used protected queen cells, you will find two laying queens - great for spring buildup.  The younger one eventually balls the older. 

If the younger one is an autumn mating, you might have a good queen. 

I have seen a new queen curled around an old queen atempting to sting her .

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

I have seen a new queen curled around an old queen atempting to sting her .

Not all coup d'etat end well..

2 minutes ago, Goran said:

Not all coup d'etat end well..

Does the new queen actually kill the old queen or drive her out of the hive .