Trevor Gillbanks

July 2019 Apiary Diary

13 hours ago, Philbee said:

Here's a couple of July Hives at 550m 

winter hive - 07-19.jpg

winter hive 07-19.jpg

Interesting how it’s all brood on one side of the staples and honey on the other. Are they single story brood boxes?

2 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Interesting how it’s all brood on one side of the staples and honey on the other. Are they single story brood boxes?

I get that happening too, though one out of four is not good data. Some don’t want to cross the paper (even though they don’t reach the bottom of the frame). Others are happy to run along and behind it. 

4 hours ago, Phil46 said:

Not just the beekeeping,i reckon Phil..ur isolation may have alot to do with it too ay

Not necessarily .....

Mine look similar while another around me have lost 95%.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, M4tt said:

hile another around me have lost 95%.

Do they use staples? 95% sounds crazy. 

Just now, CHCHPaul said:

Do they use staples? 95% sounds crazy. 

They don’t use staples but do use another OA Glycerine product .

What I’m trying to portray is that varroa and or viruses are becoming extremely difficult to manage , and to use staples effectively , they also must be managed .

All important timing and checking 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Not necessarily .....

Mine look similar while another around me have lost 95%.

M4tt, 95% of what number? commercial or hobbyist? context around the numbers adds weight to wether people need to worry or not. But you are right about viruses and the need for checking

• Agree 1

Just now, Dennis Crowley said:

M4tt, 95% of what number? commercial or hobbyist? context around the numbers adds weight to wether people need to worry or not. But you are right about viruses and the need for checking

Commercial. No not 95% of their hives , but 95% on a site  near me .

That said though , I am hearing alarmingly high losses elsewhere as well. Worse than previous years 

I wonder how many will be from starvation? It has been a fickle past season with often erratic nectar flow, early Queen shutdowns and quite a bit of early consumption of stores.

The Autumn feed em and leave em brigade may be in for more losses then the past few seasons.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, cBank said:

I get that happening too, though one out of four is not good data. Some don’t want to cross the paper (even though they don’t reach the bottom of the frame). Others are happy to run along and behind it. 

That's why its important to re place the staples to the cluster, makes a big difference come alc wash time

• Good Info 1

The hives @Matt mentioned most likely did not die from starvation , but from a combination of several factors not the least bring Nosema Ceranae , this area of the Waikato had a grouping of the highest Nosema Ceranae counts during the pathogen programme testing , when combined with other stressors this nosema is deadly.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Phil46 said:

Dohhhh..here i was thinking u had no close neighbours watsoever,looks like all beekeepers have someone close by. Awesome looking hive anyway!

Two of my blocks are in the boondocks well away from anyone but another one of about 1000ha is surrounded by Hives.
Fortunately the neighboring beeks but for one are onto it.

6 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Its typical.

3 hours ago, Ali said:

I wonder how many will be from starvation? It has been a fickle past season with often erratic nectar flow, early Queen shutdowns and quite a bit of early consumption of stores.

The Autumn feed em and leave em brigade may be in for more losses then the past few seasons.

I got a phone call today from a lower North Island Beek who is amazed at his hives.

They are boiling with Bees like good October Hives.
Last Spring he knocked his Hives for a six with OA/GL but they all came back really strong and then never looked back.

• Like 1

The temps are getting low, the frosts are sticking around till late, but the bees are flying as if it’s spring. And the wattles are starting to bloom across the road offsetting the red gum flowers beautifully. 

87A91277-DB55-4493-ADDA-EA55B4172A3D.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Drone bee said:

Hi 8 at night an 16 during the day. fogging I think warm them up a bit. Gets 100 % kill on the Bee's backs.

Just treating a hive with formic acid  70%,  day 16º nights have been 5º to 8º. Just checked today all is good formic is evaporating quite well wick in the tray is not to wet. Good varroa drop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manfred said:

Just treating a hive with formic acid  70%,  day 16º nights have been 5º to 8º. Just checked today all is good formic is evaporating quite well wick in the tray is not to wet. Good varroa drop.

Lids rusting away nicely.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, yesbut said:

Lids rusting away nicely.......

Not with polystyrene  hives hahaha

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, olbe said:

The hives @Matt mentioned most likely did not die from starvation , but from a combination of several factors not the least bring Nosema Ceranae , this area of the Waikato had a grouping of the highest Nosema Ceranae counts during the pathogen programme testing , when combined with other stressors this nosema is deadly.

I was looking at the organics stand at the conference and got a few samples including api herb which is meant to clear up nosema, unfortunately I haven't had any to test it out so far. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

unfortunately I haven't had any to test it out so far. 

Maybe MPI Pathogen programme could send you some.  

• Good Info 1

59 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I was looking at the organics stand at the conference and got a few samples including api herb which is meant to clear up nosema, unfortunately I haven't had any to test it out so far. 

I would be thinking that that is fortunate rather than unfortunate, bit like AFB test kit you've not needed to use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My day started off fantastic with the news of a new grandson born in Norway, it went downhill from there.

My pallett of thermawood  Boxes arrived today so I borrowed the branding gear from my father. I have my own brand but for some reason have never got around to getting my own bottle and heating head. Put it all together and lit it to see a very paltry flame. I have had this trouble before and it is always caused by a partly blocked jet. I had a spare one and even knew where it was so I put it all together again and it still didn't work so off to town to find a replacement. Went to 5 different shops all of whom were very helpful with advice but didn't have the part. The sixth shop didn't think they had it either but after looking into a dusty corner there it was. I hate shopping and town driving so I had to stop at a bakery to calm my nerves and then it was home to reassemble the whole thing one more time. It worked beautifully for the first 10 boxes  and then I dropped it, breaking my brand-new part . Fortunately the piece I had brought was made of two pieces and I was able to use the unbroken bit of the old burner. Put it all together and it wouldn't work. There is no way that the brass bit without the jet in it can affect how the flame works .It is hollow and just allows the gas and air to mix.

It had a spiders nest inside it and there was nothing wrong with the burner in the first place.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Sounds like a nice winter job.  Nothing like a bit of spider's strong silk.  In these hard times, can this be incorporated with a bee product into an alternative product?  Hope there were no white tails lurking.

sounds just like what happens to my Te pari brander, I've learned to check for spiderwebs before lighting now, mostly seems to be the jumping spiders.

9 hours ago, olbe said:

sounds just like what happens to my Te pari brander, I've learned to check for spiderwebs before lighting now, mostly seems to be the jumping spiders.

My Te pari brander always gets blocked by Mason bees.

Sad that they have stopped making the branders, thankfully I ordered spare parts so mine should last a few more years

9 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

My Te pari brander always gets blocked by Mason bees.

Sad that they have stopped making the branders, thankfully I ordered spare parts so mine should last a few more years

One of the smokers which I use rarely from time to time is often clogged with " clay nests" of mason bees..

Also they are everywhere.. They like my mnucs which sit in the storage.. I place somewhere here a pic with their nests in one of mnucs ( when removed a lid interior of nests are visible which is interesting to see).

54 minutes ago, Goran said:

One of the smokers which I use rarely from time to time is often clogged with " clay nests" of mason bees..

Also they are everywhere.. They like my mnucs which sit in the storage.. I place somewhere here a pic with their nests in one of mnucs ( when removed a lid interior of nests are visible which is interesting to see).

Those critters will nest anywhere, 

I've had them nest in box handles, in between galv lids and supers, under hive doctor bases, any weedeaters or chainsaw exhausts

B9494848-59A3-4D1A-BBAA-7B6C45E90D7F.jpeg

Our June 30 deadline has been and gone and this sign says it all.

• Sad 1