Trevor Gillbanks

July 2019 Apiary Diary

The Conference is done and we are only 4 to 6 weeks away from the new bee season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

Hmm 🤔 @yesbut

seems @Trevor Gillbanks Bet you to it an hour ago 😂

Shheeessh I think I'd better go away for a while.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Sometimes we just have bad days.  It will be all good tomorrow when we have a replay.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Please don’t we’d miss your input.. 

• Agree 2

Beekeepers clearly hibernate.

I decided last weekend that one of my hives gets too little sun, so started the 10m trip across the garden. It’s a little more complicated because the weather has been so bad that I’m not sure it’s a good idea to shuffle it along some days as they haven’t been flying. Wet 4x1 planks make it fairly easy.

Underneath was a mountain of chewed staples.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, cBank said:

I’m not sure it’s a good idea to shuffle it along some days as they haven’t been flying.

I think you are right. Especially when moving sideways I found that one extra shift would cause considerable searching for the hive rather than the "woo- must have misjudged the approach" behaviour.

A day or two static and then start the move again. Lets face it- if the weather is that bad, you didnt want to go out and move it anyway.

17 hours ago, cBank said:

I decided last weekend that one of my hives gets too little sun, so started the 10m trip across the garden. It’s a little more complicated because the weather has been so bad that I’m not sure it’s a good idea to shuffle it along some days as they haven’t been flying. Wet 4x1 planks make it fairly easy.

I have a hive in a place that is really no good for 6 weeks of the yr .

But the rest of the yr it is a very good spot .

I have raised it up and given it a good insulated lid and made sure it is in a right size hive for the no of bees .

Moving it will be too much of a pain .

I have done the walk with a two box hive . And would only consider moving Nucs now .

• Good Info 1

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I have done the walk with a two box hive . And would only consider moving Nucs now .

It’s a 3 high 3/4. I can just reach the bottom while carrying it. It’s like a live demonstration of how to ruin your back.

Ill take the bottom box off soon as they are finally slowing, but it’s had so much brood that I left an extra box on as there was no room for supplies otherwise.

• Like 1

Lifted hives to reach the sun an insulated roof. before varroa invaded. Didn't seem to matter where I place in parshil Sun.they pull through the winter.have oxaclic blue paper still on.mite levels are extra high.fogging each week as well.till mite levels stabilizes 

How big the hives ? The "blue paper " is  shop towel ?  I'm sure I've read somewhere that fogging a winter cluster is ineffective...

14 minutes ago, yesbut said:

How big the hives ? The "blue paper " is  shop towel ?  I'm sure I've read somewhere that fogging a winter cluster is ineffective...

Check stick board every week mite drop.do calculation.amount of bee's on frames to varroa drop.

1 an 2 full depth five frames of bee's. Fogging like using a smoker.and carms bee's. First time using winter fogger.should bee every 2-3 weeks through the winter.lve been heard.blue shop towels (repco) glycerine  ( farmland) an oxaclic acid 

On 5/07/2019 at 6:41 AM, cBank said:

What is a good spot for bees? A friend of mine brings his bees in late summer in forests (in Germany), two years ago he stuck with his trailer and could not go to his prefered spot so he set up the hives just at this spot. He described the spot as really bad in his opinion. As the weather improved he wanted to go and move the hives he could not believe how well the bees did at this spot so he left them there and harvested twice as much honey as he did the years before.

3 hours ago, Drone bee said:

Check stick board every week mite drop.do calculation.amount of bee's on frames to varroa drop.

1 an 2 full depth five frames of bee's. Fogging like using a smoker.and carms bee's. First time using winter fogger.should bee every 2-3 weeks through the winter.lve been heard.blue shop towels (repco) glycerine  ( farmland) an oxaclic acid 

What is the temperature there at present? and at night time?

• Like 2

From experience I believe that full sun all day is best and if you can't have that then  afternoon sun is better than morning sun. Given that bees in the wild mostly nest in hollow trees you would think that shade would be ideal but they never seem to thrive under shady conditions. Shelter from wind is also vital and it is a good idea not put bees into frost hollows where the cold just sits.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Only took a little sun and the girls were out in force, so many around this ornamental acacia you could almost imagine they were swarming.

Had a quick look under the lids without disturbing them too much and found some brood and eggs in all (though not a huge amount) and penty of stores so shouldn't be any need to feed this winter.P1010986.jpg.279a1a5c2db9d3c9a6e13acb8958a2ef.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, john berry said:

From experience I believe that full sun all day is best and if you can't have that then  afternoon sun is better than morning sun.

My shuffling hive was in a spot that got zero sun in winter, morning sun in summer.

Its a relatively dry spot and completely sheltered, but there has been much less activity than from my sunny hives, despite it being a larger colony.

@Drone bee or anyone else who uses them, do insects take from the sticky board, messing up the drop count? 

2 hours ago, cBank said:

My shuffling hive was in a spot that got zero sun in winter, morning sun in summer.

Its a relatively dry spot and completely sheltered, but there has been much less activity than from my sunny hives, despite it being a larger colony.

@Drone bee or anyone else who uses them, do insects take from the sticky board, messing up the drop count? 

We have lots of trees so getting full all day sun all yr is tricky .

I see photos of hives in paddocks on the forum and think , lucky them to have so little wind that they can put their hives in such exposed locations .

Lets see now, there's wind, there're goats, there're migrant beeks, wind, soggy soft grass, driveway from hell, wind, trees, is there someone holding a cannon to your head making you stay there ?

• Haha 1

I moan about my place too - but I love it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

Lets see now, there's wind, there're goats, there're migrant beeks, wind, soggy soft grass, driveway from hell, wind, trees, is there someone holding a cannon to your head making you stay there ?

are you talking too me ?

i stay for the view, its still lovely.

no humans have really modified it , they keep away.

can't stand the wind.

• Like 2

Here's a couple of July Hives at 550m 

winter hive - 07-19.jpg

winter hive 07-19.jpg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Here's a couple of July Hives at 550m 

winter hive - 07-19.jpg

winter hive 07-19.jpg

Not just the beekeeping,i reckon Phil..ur isolation may have alot to do with it too ay

Edited by Phil46
missing word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Phil46 said:

Not just the beekeeping,i reckon Phil..ur isolation may have alot to do with it too ay

These two are within 300 and 800m of another Beek although he runs the same treatments as me

Posted (edited)

Dohhhh..here i was thinking u had no close neighbours watsoever,looks like all beekeepers have someone close by. Awesome looking hive anyway!

Edited by Phil46

On 6/08/2018 at 9:03 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I have no idea.  And I guess nor do they as they don't give an opinion.

On 6/07/2019 at 12:06 PM, Manfred said:

What is a good spot for bees? A friend of mine brings his bees in late summer in forests (in Germany), two years ago he stuck with his trailer and could not go to his prefered spot so he set up the hives just at this spot. He described the spot as really bad in his opinion. As the weather improved he wanted to go and move the hives he could not believe how well the bees did at this spot so he left them there and harvested twice as much honey as he did the years before.

What is the temperature there at present? and at night time?

Hi 8 at night an 16 during the day. fogging I think warm them up a bit. Gets 100 % kill on the Bee's backs.