Hey Friends,

I'm not a part of the beekeeping community, however, I would like to reach out for some info on how to help protect our little winged friends.

I'm currently working on a demolition site in Murupara, and during asbestos removal we came across an active hive within one of the walls, it's about 600mm x 1600mm in size. I am wondering if there is any way that we could relocate their home before the building it's in is demolished this week. Any info would be appreciated.

Bentley

Any possibility of a photo? Does the outside of the colony look like paper mache, or like 30mm layers of hexagonal wax and bees? Trying to establish if they are bees or wasps.

• Like 1

If they are in the way or being a nuisance, just kill them and move on. soapy water will do the trick. the loss of this colony will not upset the bee population in NZ or the world.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

But kudos for thinking good thoughts and asking. This time of year it's a very big ask doing a cut out/salvage with any hope of success, and the bigger the colony the more the mess. I passed through of Murupara a couple of weeks ago, noted a bit of work going on. And I even noticed work going on in Kaiangaroa Village !

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1

They are definitely bees as the hive is waxy and it looks like there is honey seeping through the wall that they're in. Thank you for your feedback everyone, I'll try to get a good photo when I go back for work tomorrow.

• Thanks 2

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 4:59 PM, 8BANGA said:

They are definitely bees as the hive is waxy and it looks like there is honey seeping through the wall that they're in. Thank you for your feedback everyone, I'll try to get a good photo when I go back for work tomorrow.

Hi 8BANGA

Are you still planning to download the photo?

What happened in relation to theses bees,I wish i saw this earlier,living in Kawerau and all.Murupara is only a short drive away down the milion dollar road.