Alastair

Dodgy Trade Me ad, how do i report this to Trade Me?

This ad for a bunch of dead hives, from a guy who said "I didn't get around to registering".

I know TM have agreed to only allow bee sales from registered beekeepers, but i cannot figure out how to report the ad to them how is it done?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/farming-forestry/beekeeping/auction-2192476213.htm?fbclid=IwAR2V8t4MT5KEPZldtNMUncc1CxF90oa6q0P-z0pMqPGnp4rhRK5eR8yR1CM

5 minutes ago, Alastair said:

This ad for a bunch of dead hives, from a guy who said "I didn't get around to registering".

I know TM have agreed to only allow bee sales from registered beekeepers, but i cannot figure out how to report the ad to them how is it done?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/farming-forestry/beekeeping/auction-2192476213.htm?fbclid=IwAR2V8t4MT5KEPZldtNMUncc1CxF90oa6q0P-z0pMqPGnp4rhRK5eR8yR1CM

Scroll to botttom of page  >  "Contact Us " >

Thanks Yesbut

Figured it out, and reported to Trade Me.

Anyone know who this guy is because this should also be reported to the management agency.

• Like 1

Or just above the contact us is ‘Report this listing’

Which I’ve done

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks All. 

Hoping someone will know the guy, if we can ID i will report him to the management agency.

Just noticed the lid on the right of the pic shows signs of having been in a fire.

There is a hive rego on one hive - perhaps a follow-up will find the hives may have been 'hot' or else who the hive was given/sold to.

Yes, that has now been reported to Marco.

• Like 1

The hives all look tidy .

He may have only had them for a yr .

Yes he should have registered them . So should he have registered them then sold them .?

The media really pushed this  , "save the bees " thing . But the legal aspects of bee keeping were never really  covered .

Hes probably  not the only one who got hives on impulse and is quitting them . 

At least they  have not been left to die and be robbed in his back yard .

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

The hives all look tidy .

He may have only had them for a yr .

Yes he should have registered them . So should he have registered them then sold them .?

The media really pushed this  , "save the bees " thing . But the legal aspects of bee keeping were never really  covered .

Hes probably  not the only one who got hives on impulse and is quitting them . 

At least they  have not been left to die and be robbed in his back yard .

Hives were all dead. Sale now withdrawn.

• Thanks 1

It's been reported to the agency

I think they have already been left to die and be robbed in his back yard.

By the newness of the inked on rego number which must be the previous owner, doesn't look like he has had them long.

One lid looks like it has been in a fire.

He offers to let a purchaser check for AFB, but all frames have been scraped clean so that is obviously not possible.

In my view this is high risk. 

• Agree 2

Now that the gloss has gone out of the industry there are going to be lots of unwanted  hives , commercial and hobby .

Some strategy is needed to deal with them .

God knows whose responsibility it will be .

It is the owners responsibility, the buck stops there, no debate as far as I am concerned. People were quick enough to get the hives, but they often had very little interest in the bees, only the idea of making money. The 'too big, too fast' types were often warned by the old hands that there was a finite number of hives that any area could carry, but they continued to pile in large numbers of apiaries regardless, and the manuka boom was always an aberration which would cause greater highs and lows as it progressed. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Now that the gloss has gone out of the industry there are going to be lots of unwanted  hives , commercial and hobby .

Some strategy is needed to deal with them .

God knows whose responsibility it will be .

I am here to collect unwanted hives from those who no longer want them. Just saying.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes nothing wrong with a competent beekeeper aquiring such gear, running it in quarantine, and dealing with any issues that may arise. Probably a better option than it going to a newby.

But there is little doubt there will be many advertisements like the above cropping up. Red flags in this ad were - hives all dead, beekeeper not registered, frames all scraped clean, guy admitted not having time to run them, some stuff looked burned, mishmash of gear, some of it such as the needed number of bottom boards not there (could have been burned). Overall feel of the ad was the guy was totally incompetent at bees and probably got no idea if diseased or not, that with the part burned gear were the two major issues.

About all that can be done is we are all vigilant, and immediately bring such ads or activities to the public attention.

Congratulations Trade Me, they certainly acted fast once this was brought to their attention. My concern is this guy still has the gear, and will try to unload it in some other way.

And while I was on TM i browsed a few of the other ads, reading between the lines it looks like there are a few sad stories out there.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Good spotting @Alastair. As far as I’m concerned it’s in all our best interests to self police , as you have done .

I resisted putting an unhelpful comment on trademe like ‘you’d be best burning the lot ‘ because that’s probably not an option if they are urban . 

Good job all 👍

Edited by M4tt

That link doesn't work. Perhaps its gone already..

• Agree 1

check out the " Hive for queen bee " on trademe , the person with the listing does not really seem to know anything about bees, I don't know how to report these things. 

Hi @olbe , to report a Trademe advert, scroll down to bottom of page, and 'report listing' is button to left of 'page views'. I cannot find the one you are referring to, but if it is the one that has been posted several times, has no bees, just totally wrong dimensions and design, so hopefully will not ever sell as someone looking to breed queens should have enough knowledge to know it isn't fit for purpose. The most important ones to report are those with bees for sale without a Beekeeper registration included, as this increases those flying under the radar and potentially spreading AFB, or selling appalling nucs to the inexperienced.

I report all listings with no rego or deadouts. TradeMe only responds if they are also trying to dodge listing fees (eg a listing at per hive price for multiple hives). 

Trademe doesn’t care about biosecurity 

28 minutes ago, Josh said:

I report all listings with no rego or deadouts. TradeMe only responds if they are also trying to dodge listing fees (eg a listing at per hive price for multiple hives). 

Probably because they have no-one with the expertise to make the calls. There might be an opportunity for someone to create a job ?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Josh you may have been talking to someone there not knowledgeable.

TradeMe have put in their terms and conditions that people selling live bees must have a registration. This logically applies to hives that used to be alive, even if they are now dead. That was the basis i reported the listing in post 1 of this thread, and within an hour TM removed the listing and messaged me back saying the listing had been removed because it did not comply with their terms and conditions. 

In this case the seller was not trying to rort TM out of fees, so the terms and conditions must have been the genuine reason.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Josh you may have been talking to someone there not knowledgeable.

.... terms and conditions must have been the genuine reason.

Good to hear, reported 3 on my lunch break (sad little hobby of mine) and only one was acknowled (fee dodging). 

But it clearly there is hope