BeeDist

Document honeybees and off shore islands

Hi,

I am trying to find out if there is any offshore inland in NZ currently free of honey bees?

I have read that honeybees are now found across the entire country including the Chatham and Stewart Islands.

Thanks

Considering that bees can fly over 5 km, then pretty unlikely.

Raul Island has honeybees of probably quite old lineage and possibly even directly descended from the old English black bee but I have been unable to interest anybody in actually studying them.

I certainly saw no sign of honey bees on codfish or anchor Island and I would be surprised if most of the fiordland  Islands were not free of bees given the climate.

I have also spent considerable time on Little barrier over the years and have never seen any bees there. Wasps used to be quite common  but mysteriously seem to have either disappeared or become a lot less common.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

6 minutes ago, john berry said:

Raul Island has honeybees of probably quite old lineage and possibly even directly descended from the old English black bee but I have been unable to interest anybody in actually studying them.

I certainly saw no sign of honey bees on codfish or anchor Island and I would be surprised if most of the fiordland  Islands were not free of bees given the climate.

I have also spent considerable time on Little barrier over the years and have never seen any bees there. Wasps used to be quite common  but mysteriously seem to have either disappeared or become a lot less common.

My black angry Bush bee breed descends from the missionaries bees that were first introduced to Hokianga