Sofia L

Bees health scientist is looking for a job or postdoc

Hi guys,

I'm an Israeli based molecular virologist with expertise in honeybees and Varroa. I've just completed my PhD. One of the outcomes of the research I conducted is the discovery of novel Varroa-specific viruses (which absent in bees), which ability to serve as a biocontrol tool might be evaluated. With this in mind I went out for my job hunt and was looking for a postdoc with NZ uni, but was surprised to find out there is no much research on bee health, please correct me if I wrong.

Do you think there is a need in the scientist of my profile? Or should I switch to fungi research? :-)
Do you have any tip where to look or whom to contact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

• Like 1

There are very few postdoc positions available in New Zealand. We have a pretty poor system for it really. Your best bet is probably to inquire at a Crown Research Institution (CRI) like Plant and Food Research who have a good apiculture research programme and see if they have any jobs available.

talk to whoever fanny and elodie worked with at otago university during their phd and post-docs respectively. i've forgotten the name, if you care enough you'll google it :)

if you're still struggling, i could ask elodie next time i see her, likely later this week

Alison Mercer has retired @tommy dave. As Dave  says above, best bet would be the Plant and Food team based in Hamilton.

Or else Phil Lester at Victoria University, who does a lot on bee/wasp viruses and pathogens

• Good Info 1

@Jacob

Actually I was in touch with them last year, and my impression was Varroa and viruses are not one of their first priorities.

@tommy dave

I was in touch with Prof. Mercer and as John said she has retired.

If you can find out on anybody else, would be great

@Dave Black

I might have been missing something, but as far as I know Heather works with phages. It's a bit other research direction. Anyway, I will take a look, thank you!

@JohnF

Many thanks!

Unfortunately New Zealand spends a lot less money on research then we should. Our scientists are rather poorly paid also.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

@Alastair

Then, I wasn't mistaken about my chances to find anything in NZ.
It looks like I should better check AU, although they don't have Varroa (yet)..

Please check the links that others have provided. You may get lucky.

But yes, bottom line your chances to get a suitable job here are low, other countries spend a lot more on research than us.

• Thanks 1