OwenW

"Honeyland" at documentary festival

At the DocEdge festival (too late for Auckland, showing in Wellington 16 & 18 June):

" Nestled in an isolated mountain region deep within the Balkans, Hatidze and her mother live in a village without roads, electricity or running water. They’re the last in a long line of Macedonian wild beekeepers, eking out a living farming honey in small batches to be sold in the closest city – a mere four hours’ walk away. "

https://docedge.nz/film/honeyland/

Nice ... that looks like the perfect excuse for a visit to the big smoke.... Thanks!

Wish someone had let us know it was on in Auckland, would have liked to have seen it. Was not at a theatre that I knew existed.

Aieahhh ..... My raison D'etre, Camped up in the truck at the end of a day on the road...... having ventured forth from The Valley to watch a movie up in the big smoke.

It was great. The tickets were all sold out, but I traded a hard seat chair for a 500gm of our most expensive honey .

Back to "Honeylands."

It was like a medieval tragi comedy with subtitles. A romantically beautifull  harsh landscape wherein an ageing bee lady lived with her bedridden mother, eeking out an existence from the honey that her bees produced ..... and everyone wanted, though it was the most expensive in the market. And  then in move the Turkish gypsy family who see opportunity, and learn from her and then crankup their dozen or so hives, egged on by the greedy middle man who wants more honey ...... but it all turns to custard when the Turks take too much honey and bees robb out the lady's hives and everything dies, save for one lone survivor. So the Turks move out, and the final shot is of the lady checking her hive up in the rock crevice and sharing fresh honey comb ooozing liquid with her dog.

I see parables here with our own industry ..... those who love their bees will survive. The gypsy keepers looking for the fast dollar will move on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

Aieahhh ..... My raison D'etre, Camped up in the truck at the end of a day on the road...... having ventured forth from The Valley to watch a movie up in the big smoke.

It was great. The tickets were all sold out, but I traded a hard seat chair for a 500gm of our most expensive honey .

Back to "Honeylands."

It was like a medieval tragi comedy with subtitles. A romantically beautifull  harsh landscape wherein an ageing bee lady lived with her bedridden mother, eeking out an existence from the honey that her bees produced ..... and everyone wanted, though it was the most expensive in the market. And  then in move the Turkish gypsy family who see opportunity, and learn from her and then crankup their dozen or so hives, egged on by the greedy middle man who wants more honey ...... but it all turns to custard when the Turks take too much honey and bees robb out the lady's hives and everything dies, save for one lone survivor. So the Turks move out, and the final shot is of the lady checking her hive up in the rock crevice and sharing fresh honey comb ooozing liquid with her dog.

I see parables here with our own industry ..... those who love their bees will survive. The gypsy keepers looking for the fast dollar will move on.

Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1