ChrisM

National Program 1 Tauranga

A while ago there were threads on the new food act and NP1. The new food act (2014) is actually not very new any more. Since that time (moaning about costs) the situation in Tauranga has changed. Current details are rego under NP1 $290, biennial rego renewals are $150 and verficiation can now be done by TCC $142/hr and likely only to take one hour if you have your act together.  So, this means for $433 you can "expand" your business into extract/buy/sell of honey in Tauranga with ongoing costs of only $75 per annum.

Whereas before there were no verifiers at all based in Tauranga, and quotes from private verifiers were quite high, the situation has flip flopped into something quite manageable. RMP beekeepers in Tauranga could consider local retail direct selling to give themselves a second form of outlet. Hobby beekeepers who were put off by the high costs could review the situation because the audit is a one off cost and the ongoing costs amount to only $75 per annum. So, even if you have only 30kg of honey annually to sell it enables you to get something back to cover costs. This scenario was actually one of the justifications for having the new food act where you can extract the honey in your kitcken at home; provided the methods you use are shown to be safe.

So, I think that counts as one piece of good news. I know the domestic honey market in NZ isn't enormous, so this doesn't 'solve' all the problems out there. But I do think that people at Farmer's markets are more likely to buy local honey whereas at the supermarket they might walk right past the honey section altogether. Having some online cottage industry presence seems logical too to allow customers to conveniently repeat their purchase with a follow up jar. 

National Programme 1 Guidance.pdf National Programme Factsheet & Application Form.pdf Scope of Operations - May 2016.pdf Template - Verification Agreement with TCC (Final) (A8062247).pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Good Info 4

great info @ChrisM, thank you for going to the effort of collating and posting.

Could also prove to be a very useful resource for those engaging with the process in other areas/regions.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

great info @ChrisM, thank you for going to the effort of collating and posting.

Could also prove to be a very useful resource for those engaging with the process in other areas/regions.

Tommy I agree, Tauranga Council are not to bad to deal with when it comes to bees, and the Western Bay Council which is the neighbour to TGA are a bit behind. I was asked to have meeting with them, and one of the councillors asked how to stop a guy down the road from his house from having so many beehives on his property, I had to remind them that they, the council, make the rules, so take a-leaf out of TGACC book and work with the local BOP Hobbyist group and set some guidelines. 

• Like 1

Thanks ChrisM, your info is greatly appreciated.

About 18 months ago I got a three bay shed built to store my beekeeping gear in as well as having the intention, at a later date, of building an internal room to extract honey and make my products out of beeswax and honey. The honey extraction and some of the products I wish to include in my product range will require an NP1. I am currently in the process of going ahead with the internal room, so it will be interesting to see how many hoops I will have to jump through down here in Southland to obtain certification.

• Like 1