Trevor Gillbanks

June 2019 Apiary Diary

I got told I looked older than my uncle Russell Berry.

• Haha 4

Really enjoyed the conference and catching up with people. For me the stand out presentation was Sammy's talk about varroas feeding methods. Really emphasised the need to keep mite levels low. Also some good info about the effects of miticide residues on queen and drone reproductive abilities. Overall a somewhat flat atmosphere and there was nothing to suggest much improvement any time soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

I went on Friday for the day and it had some highs and lows

The low was meeting an older  fellow Forum member who exclaimed "I pictured you as a young Man, not someone of my own vintage" 

It took a few slices of Rock melon to get over that.

I have never pictured you as a young man but as an older ex hippie who has lost the faith .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I have to say that I really enjoyed this year's conference and the science presentations in particular were excellent and especially in the case of Sammy Ramsey entertaining as well. I met up with lots of old friends but was disappointed not to catch up with a few people from the forum who were there but I didn't see. I went to the AGM which was very well attended, it was a, this is what we have done and this is what we want to do session which does give it over quickly . Local branches\hubs have definitely no longer got any role to play in decision-making and personally I see that as a loss.

John there still is the possibility to have remits at the AGM, hubs and clubs still have that right, the only change is that there needs to be at least 5+ members to agree with a remit, that was to stop every beekeeper putting in time wasting remits. Why they choose not to is another question, but the opportunity is still there, it was never done away with.

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

I went on Friday for the day and it had some highs and lows

The low was meeting an older  fellow Forum member who exclaimed "I pictured you as a young Man, not someone of my own vintage" 

It took a few slices of Rock melon to get over that.

So sorry, what I meant was that you looked older and wiser than expected- or is that just digging a deeper hole for myself!

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I have never pictured you as a young man but as an older ex hippie who has lost the faith .

No, never been a Hippy but if I had good hair Id have a Mullet for sure, even now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

No, never been a Hippy but if I had good hair Id have a Mullet for sure, even now.

And a black bee suit?

Tattoos on your knuckles with ‘Oxalix’ & ‘Acid’... maybe Glycerin on your forehead. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

What was the average age at the conference. Were there many younger people.

I have read the average age for farmers is 57.

It may be that the younger guys who have recently entered the industry will be the most hurt by any negative changes .

15 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

John there still is the possibility to have remits at the AGM, hubs and clubs still have that right, the only change is that there needs to be at least 5+ members to agree with a remit, that was to stop every beekeeper putting in time wasting remits. Why they choose not to is another question, but the opportunity is still there, it was never done away with.

Dennis. You are quite right and if I ever get five people at a meeting again I may yet put in a remit.

The 5+ requirement is probably not that bad an idea as there used to be some shockingly poorly worded and occasionally very vexatious remits.

• Agree 1

Thanks to everyone who attended the conference.  I had a thoroughly good time and it was wonderful catching up with so many new and old friends.

Lots  forum members and of course my facebook and youtube acquaintances.

I would especially like to thank Karen Kos and her team from ApiNZ who put on this conference.

Without this conference our industry would be very much poorer for it.

Wonderful to catch up with @Dennis Crowley and @JohnF.  I also had some pretty good talks with Marco and Clifton from the AFB PMP Management Agency.  

If anyone failed to go, then it was your loss.

25 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Aside from the social aspect the benefits of which are a very subjective call depending on the individual, I respectfully submit there'd be very little if any content

presented that would not be available on line with a bit of diligence and time. And for free. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Aside from the social aspect the benefits of which are a very subjective call depending on the individual, I respectfully submit there'd be very little if any content

presented that would not be available on line with a bit of diligence and time. And for free. 

Absolutely. But people can watch a sports event on TV for free.  That does not stop people attending the match.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Absolutely. But people can watch a sports event on TV for free.  That does not stop people attending the match.

Your closing comment read as though those of us who chose not to go were a bunch of losers. It annoyed me. Maybe I should have another coffee.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Thanks to everyone who attended the conference.  I had a thoroughly good time and it was wonderful catching up with so many new and old friends.

Lots  forum members and of course my facebook and youtube acquaintances.

I would especially like to thank Karen Kos and her team from ApiNZ who put on this conference.

Without this conference our industry would be very much poorer for it.

Wonderful to catch up with @Dennis Crowley and @JohnF.  I also had some pretty good talks with Marco and Clifton from the AFB PMP Management Agency.  

Ping @AFB PMP Management Agency  :14_relaxed:

Great to talk with you Trev and glad that things are underway with dealing with a few issues

20 minutes ago, yesbut said:

As of at this time? I'd also-respectfully-say 'you're wrong'. But of course in time videos etc will be on-line. . .for free.

And therein much of the issue with the beekeeping industry. . .

Edited by JohnF

28 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Your closing comment read as though those of us who chose not to go were a bunch of losers. It annoyed me. Maybe I should have another coffee.

Not loosers

But possibly financially challenged.

Same thing in the modern world I think .

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I went to a cricket match, a 20/20 last summer.  Quite entertaining, but I had limited idea of what was actually happening.  Reckon watching it on a big screen with replays and commentary could have been much wiser use of time and resources.  And out of the blazing sun... 

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

All good.  Just my poor phrasing of what I was saying.

In all things there are both knockers and supporters.  I was just saying that going was a good choice for my wife and myself.

48 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I went to a cricket match, a 20/20 last summer.  Quite entertaining, but I had limited idea of what was actually happening.  Reckon watching it on a big screen with replays and commentary could have been much wiser use of time and resources.  And out of the blazing sun... 

Totally agree.  It is always difficult when you only get one shot at hearing or seeing something.  I do like TV replays of sporting moments in particular.

This is also why I produce YouTube videos.

I didn't learn anything really radical or new that I hadn't already heard about at this year's conference but a lot of what I already know was clarified and expended on. Socially,  I think it is good for me to meet other people as you can become quite insular just working by yourself and I also got hugged by a lot of lady friends and you can't do that on a computer screen.

PS among Trevs other skills I can now say he also makes a damn fine bacon butty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, john berry said:

PS among Trevs other skills I can now say he also makes a damn fine bacon butty.

Over the 3 days, we got through 45 kg of bacon and about 60 loaves of bread.

Also it was blimin cold, so the bacon buttys were really appreciated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Over the 3 days, we got through 45 kg of bacon and about 60 loaves of bread.

Also it was blimin cold, so the bacon buttys were really appreciated.

they certainly were Trev, next year if we could have eggs, snags, hash browns  and coffee with them that'll be great.

• Haha 3

Any idea were it is next year ?

37 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

they certainly were Trev, next year if we could have eggs, snags, hash browns  and coffee with them that'll be great.

I will put it in the list.

3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I will put it in the list.

What about chip buttys .

Or is that an exclusively english abomination.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, kaihoka said:

What about chip buttys .

It's a location thingy.  If you weren't there, then you did not get to see my lovely Bacon Buttys.

Oops.  Did I really say that.  lol

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kaihoka said:

What about chip buttys .

No. Some of us northerners like chip buttys. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2