Trevor Gillbanks

June 2019 Apiary Diary

16 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We’ve hardly had any frosts so far this winter.

No different to last year ? Winter isn't here yet.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, yesbut said:

No different to last year ? Winter isn't here yet.

I don’t remember last year :) 

although I do know we didn’t have hungry hives in winter last year 

Brought back some hives to start setting up our cell raising  yard.

Ive been feeling a bit ambivalent about bees and the coming season but it was really nice to be poking around getting things set up and ready for the madness that is Spring queen raising. 

The hungry hives and cell raising has been merged which is a bit odd  :) 

• Like 1

I got a call from a landowner yesterday about a site that the Bulls had got into

His word was "wrecked"

This site contained a super hive that has been 5 boxes high for 2 years continuous and is one that has had 20 staples in continuously as a long term trial.

I asked him about the tall hive in the middle of the site and he said "Óh that one is fine"

Relieved to hear that I went out and sure enough the site was a mess but not a single Hive was lost

My trial Hive was standing untouched amid chaos and I couldn't help but wonder if a higher power was watching over it.

What did surprise me also was that most of the hives were lighter than I thought they would be, given they were all left with at least two boxes of Honey on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Philbee lucky break, not even a HiveGate would have protected your hives there, so lucky that the higher power did :)

• Like 1

must be close to christmas given how the flowering is going

clearly_summer.PNG

• Like 2

Here’s a sky scape for Goran

37ADA69B-CCBF-44B1-8F4C-E9356290FD47.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/06/2019 at 8:09 AM, Philbee said:

What did surprise me also was that most of the hives were lighter than I thought they would be, given they were all left with at least two boxes of Honey on.

I've been finding hives lighter than expected and have had to do a extra feeding round. Might get the national downsizing campaign off to a good start.

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Here’s a sky scape for Goran

Nice.. I admit, I am not very comfortable to swim in the sea.. Once in high school we were on excursion in Spain. I went into sea and swam until there were visible little dots of people on the beach.. I stopped and relax, for a moment I asked myself where are guarding nets or some guards to warn of some hungry fish near.. Since I saw none of mentioned, I think I broke some records in fast swimming to the shore ( shame none filmed it, it could be really funny).. Call me coward but I am real inland type, more for hills/mountains and " sweet water" where I am at home.. 

aaa.jpg

• Agree 1

@Goran - in New Zealand about 90% of us live within 50 kms of the ocean, so we are very much a coastal people - hence so many sailors - there are Kiwis on pretty much every yacht anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2019 at 8:09 AM, Philbee said:

I got a call from a landowner yesterday about a site that the Bulls had got into

His word was "wrecked"

This site contained a super hive that has been 5 boxes high for 2 years continuous and is one that has had 20 staples in continuously as a long term trial.

I asked him about the tall hive in the middle of the site and he said "Óh that one is fine"

Relieved to hear that I went out and sure enough the site was a mess but not a single Hive was lost

My trial Hive was standing untouched amid chaos and I couldn't help but wonder if a higher power was watching over it.

I left one site absolutely chocked out with capped comb in the feeders and went back 10 weeks later to a starvation and the rest were quite light??? Must be a over stocking issue

We often have manuka flowering in our area during Winter, but this year it seems to be a bumper Winter flowering.  The weather has been very mild up here and not much rain.   There were bees working the manuka flowers today.  Is anyone else seeing this?

Good grief there is someone here ! 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Good grief there is someone here ! 

Lol it sure is quiet isn’t it ! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/06/2019 at 10:29 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Another month rocks around with mother nature showing her teeth at last.

No bees flying today.

Still unwinterish in Auckland.  The new norm.

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Lol it sure is quiet isn’t it ! 

Weis all on holiday  honey.... or networking ay da conference.... or just camping on the beach and chilling.

• Like 1

Just got back from the conference what a day 8 hours drive.

Sad to hear 26 companies gone bankrupt, not to mention companies pulling out of areas and other stories included 500 losses from 700 to varroa and all you hear about in the media is how one company frauded the system??? 

How come this isn't on the news?? Is it MPIs way of covering up the ####storm

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Sad to hear 26 companies gone bankrupt, not to mention companies pulling out of areas and other stories included 500 losses from 700 to varroa and all you hear about in the media is how one company frauded the system??? 

I have been wondering why the media isnt covering the true state of the industry .

It was happy enough to promote bee keeping as a licence print money when times were good .

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I have been wondering why the media isnt covering the true state of the industry .

It was happy enough to promote bee keeping as a licence print money when times were good .

One reason it hasn't come out yet is because there is a time lag.
When the Hives start to vanish from the clover, that will be one trigger point for news exposure.

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2

Had a quick look though the hives in the hot sun. All looking great, though perhaps a little light. They have been out working everyday and there is fresh nectar in them all. 

Mine of the queens has an Oa strip aversion, and I’ve got a load of half brood/half honey frames that look pretty funny. It must make for an odd shaped cluster. 

33 minutes ago, cBank said:

Had a quick look though the hives in the hot sun. All looking great, though perhaps a little light. They have been out working everyday and there is fresh nectar in them all. 

Mine of the queens has an Oa strip aversion, and I’ve got a load of half brood/half honey frames that look pretty funny. It must make for an odd shaped cluster. 

I think if the weather is warm and they are out and about  there had better be a flow , otherwise they wear themselves out looking .

15 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Another good conference and speakers, always sad to here about companies and hives going down, but they are not the industry, they were taking part in the industry. Their business modal may have had flaws in it. MPI are not responsible for individuals embarking on any business venture, so why would they make or have to make comment. The rate of any business venture surviving past 5 yrs in NZ is low.

13 hours ago, kaihoka said:

What is the true state of the industry? for some people it looks bleak as an individual business, but the industry of beekeeping is strong. What has changed is that it has retrenched a bit as it moves from one of a whirlwind to one of sustainability, but that does mean changes and not everyone will cope and have to exit and yes unfortunately some will be forced to exit by the banks

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

but the industry of beekeeping is strong.

Can you expand on this Dennis?
Is it not the case that even if a very good Beek was to start up with 2000 clean Hives, good non Manuka sites, no Debt and 100k in the Bank, they would still go backwards for the foreseeable future at $4-$5 /kg?, even if the 10000 Hives in his neighborhood were to vanish .

Have I read this current situation wrong, because when you paint such a positive picture of the core industry it makes me feel like I and many like me are being taken for fools by some unseen puppeteers?

Whats the guts?

• Agree 5

19 hours ago, kaihoka said:

In an artificial world the tourist will feel like in paradise. They will pay the cost while the locals do not count as usual.

To keep up with this system, media has a big part.

Few of my hives need a honey super. There are combs between the frames and the lid filled with fresh honey, and you can not move the hives as they are heavy as.

By the time I mastered the "winter honey production" there are not too many honey buyers out there if any, for some multi-floral blend.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this year's conference and the science presentations in particular were excellent and especially in the case of Sammy Ramsey entertaining as well. I met up with lots of old friends but was disappointed not to catch up with a few people from the forum who were there but I didn't see. I went to the AGM which was very well attended, it was a, this is what we have done and this is what we want to do session which does give it over quickly . Local branches\hubs have definitely no longer got any role to play in decision-making and personally I see that as a loss.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 2

5 minutes ago, john berry said:

I have to say that I really enjoyed this year's conference and the science presentations in particular were excellent and especially in the case of Sammy Ramsey entertaining as well. I met up with lots of old friends but was disappointed not to catch up with a few people from the forum who were there but I didn't see. I went to the AGM which was very well attended, it was a, this is what we have done and this is what we want to do session which does give it over quickly . Local branches\hubs have definitely no longer got any role to play in decision-making and personally I see that as a loss.

I went on Friday for the day and it had some highs and lows

The low was meeting an older  fellow Forum member who exclaimed "I pictured you as a young Man, not someone of my own vintage" 

It took a few slices of Rock melon to get over that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6