Trevor Gillbanks

June 2019 Apiary Diary

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Oh ..... one of those boy toys.

Maybe you need to consider heading for Kohuhoku next season ? Then you might be able to buy one too !

Edited by yesbut

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Maybe you need to consider heading for Kohuhoku next season ? Then you might be able to buy one too !

where's kohuhoko  , and how much money do I need ?

Edited by jamesc

57 minutes ago, jamesc said:

where's kohuhoko  , and how much money do I need ?

I meant Kohukohu. !  Only half a tonne of Manuka...

42 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I meant Kohukohu. !  Only half a tonne of Manuka...

still none the wiser ..... must be too late n the week

31 minutes ago, jamesc said:

still none the wiser ..... must be too late n the week

And here was I thinking you were for sure a Google earth man ! 

13 hours ago, yesbut said:

Took me quite a few seasons to get mine, had to muck around with a quad, ramps, trailor, tarps and double handling for a decade now I can load up with the forks and I'm away laughing when I get to the sites. The tipper trailot takes seconds. All I need now is a isuzuNp450 with a palfinger hiab but was a bit reluctant to tick up anything this year. 

• Like 1

I have noticed quite a few “large hobby” and small commercial set ups going on sale on Trade Me. Most of them say that they are moving. They are not going for a lot either, considering how much work has been put in building them up and expensive gear bought over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Adam O'Sullivan said:

I have noticed quite a few “large hobby” and small commercial set ups going on sale on Trade Me. Most of them say that they are moving. They are not going for a lot either, considering how much work has been put in building them up and expensive gear bought over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I just want do down size a few hundred so I don't have to work all the time on unproductive sites then I can get my Api 2 and actually get paid for my hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

I just want do down size a few hundred so I don't have to work all the time on unproductive sites then I can get my Api 2 and actually get paid for my hours. 

I have been involved with orchards in the nelson district for many years and observed the swings in profitability .

In the nineties the apple growers were rolling in money,  but 12yrs later the trees were being pulled out , and orchards  converted to vineyards.

But even then some growers gambled on things coming right and held their nerve and expanded .

They are doing well now .

Its seems a case of " last man standing " in these boom bust situations .

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

A year ago I opened the hives to the horror of seeing mites on bees , so I permanently binned synthetic strips. 

I then embarked upon successfully halting the  decline and recovering them with @Philbee OA staples, mid Winter .

Today I started on my June round of beekeeping , which involves checking where the brood is and moving the staples back into the middle of it and the cluster . 

So it's been 12 months since I started with staples and I will not use anything else. The bees are healthy , all of them . Far better than ever for winter .

I believe it's vital to move the staples back into the cluster , monthly , Autumn and winter 

😊😊

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

I've just crammed some oa cardboard in the front door of mine..

15 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I've just crammed some oa cardboard in the front door of mine..

My impartial advice on that Pink Cat

Not a good idea because the OA/GL picks up lots of water which creates a damp environment and dilutes the OA.

The onl;y place in the hive that OA/GL can work properly over the full length of the treatment is within the Cluster where the moisture is controlled 

I thought someone would complain 😄  . The full length of my cardboard in the front door treatment is about 10 days per  rotation (out with the old, in with the new)

I know probably less than optimal but I'm lazy and also think if I was a bee all tucked up in the parlour I'd be peeed off with a visitor..

Sometimes it’s good to get out of The Valley and broaden ones outlook on life...eh.

C4F3BBF1-BD54-4582-BEAC-DF3ECCA2280B.jpeg

• Haha 2

I've not gone near a hive or nuc for seven weeks, but thought it time to do some random site and hive checks.  The bees were in Winter mode although still active bringing in pollen.  Most of the hives are configured with a brood box on the bottom, excluder and honey box above.  I seem to have more bees than I usually have in the hives at this time of the year.  No sign of mites and in some cases almost full frames of capped brood.  The nuc sites are due to be checked this week too, if low on stores they'll get a feed.  I suspect the hives will explode in Spring if the forage and weather are favourable.

IMG_3751.JPG

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I suspect the hives will explode in Spring if the forage and weather are favourable.

Could be bad news if it's a an early dry spell.

27 minutes ago, yesbut said:

The ground here is wet but its relatively dry for this time of year, I got into sites today I wouldn't have been getting into in April last year, no chance.  It's hard to know quite what the conditions will turn out like in Spring.

8 hours ago, CraBee said:

The ground here is wet but its relatively dry for this time of year, I got into sites today I wouldn't have been getting into in April last year, no chance.  It's hard to know quite what the conditions will turn out like in Spring.

For me, I do lol

Wet, wet and more wet. 

Can't get into anything not metalled withought a quad or sxs

10 hours ago, yesbut said:

Have you caught up on your annual rainfall yet.

We have had 389 mls so far  this yr.

Our normal annual rain fall is anywhere between 1200 and 1700mls .

We will need so pretty big nor easterly dumps to catch up .

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Have you caught up on your annual rainfall yet.

Dunno. The place feels pretty wet.

• Agree 1

I was wet the other day, one site of 8 in the creek, 3/4 way up the jumbo boxes. Checked them today and all are alive and still have large numbers.

On 18/06/2019 at 3:38 PM, yesbut said:

Dunno. The place feels pretty wet.

Dry az in Northland, I seen a big top energy 4x4 11ton  driving up whats usually a quad track, and I drove into a bog site on the flats with 2wd. This has to be one of the dryest June's of my life, iv seen it this wet in april