Trevor Gillbanks

June 2019 Apiary Diary

45 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Over 100, my highest was 160 per hive last season came back at 9+ mono

And how much did they produce?? $160 per hive plus your running costs is a huge hole to have to climb out of!!  You must have confidence in that site??!!

4 hours ago, Ted said:

And how much did they produce?? $160 per hive plus your running costs is a huge hole to have to climb out of!!  You must have confidence in that site??!!

No confidence just moans and hoops to jump through, produces 11kgs on average of Manuka. I only do it to support my family otherwise I'd tell the land owners where to go. 

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Does that mean it was worth it , to pay that much .

Is the manuka up north flowering ? My ornamental manukas are flowering here .

And the manukas I grew from seed from my pink manukas .

The bees are in them . Its hard to believe they are giving any nectar.

It was worth it in terms of me being employed and I make 10% of the total while tha land owner got 25% but I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. The hivez would just sit and make a loss if I didn't put them in. Can't even seem to sell hives at 250 now days

4 hours ago, Ted said:

No confidence just moans and hoops to jump through, produces 11kgs on average of Manuka. I only do it to support my family otherwise I'd tell the land owners where to go. 

• Sad 1

Two days of solid rain and the bees are thirsty! Interesting little vid I made of how fast bees can suck up drops of water. Temp was cold in June, but morning sun came out. (Second bee to land is good)

Yes, I know... my balustrade needs a paint. 

• Like 8

On 4/06/2019 at 1:58 PM, Maru Hoani said:

It was worth it in terms of me being employed and I make 10% of the total while tha land owner got 25% but I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. The hivez would just sit and make a loss if I didn't put them in. Can't even seem to sell hives at 250 now days

I hear ya brother ..... I seen yer hives on trade me ......  traded honey for a jug at the tavern this evening .... life goes on , sort of .

8341198B-78E8-440A-84CC-A268E2160DEE.jpeg

It's about this time of year we go onto 9.000am starts . It's too blinking cold to start any earlier. Last winter we built a smoko room ..... this morning I find main man sitting outside the front door having a smoke at ten to eight .... I think we is gonna have to build another 'Smoker's room".

7373EFEE-32FF-4B1F-A14D-BA432E1D43E9.jpeg

5F32D34E-9DEE-4F70-92D0-015510644A46.jpeg

22 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I hear ya brother ..... I seen yer hives on trade me ......  traded honey for a jug at the tavern this evening .... life goes on , sort of .

It's about this time of year we go onto 9.000am starts . It's too blinking cold to start any earlier. Last winter we built a smoko room ..... this morning I find main man sitting outside the front door having a smoke at ten to eight .... I think we is gonna have to build another 'Smoker's room".

Small boy gets really hacked off as the bro don't have to push their bikes to the top of the hill.

I read Maru's post and got to thinking.  It's only a couple of weeks away from Jimmy C's D Day  when he has to make the big call as to whether to make honey again this coming season, or not. Jimmy C would like to, but  the Bank would prefer him not to..... and at the end of the day they will probably dictate what happens. 

But it got me thinking as I hunkered down by the fire with a bottle of the Doctors Remedy ..... thinking about Bruce and the Co op and how the Gvt cranked us up to become a billion dollar export earner when the times were good ...... and now, in our time of need when we could sure use a bit of help and well being, they seem to have washed their hands of us ...

42 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Small boy gets really hacked off as the bro don't have to push their bikes to the top of the hill.

I read Maru's post and got to thinking.  It's only a couple of weeks away from Jimmy C's D Day  when he has to make the big call as to whether to make honey again this coming season, or not. Jimmy C would like to, but  the Bank would prefer him not to..... and at the end of the day they will probably dictate what happens. 

But it got me thinking as I hunkered down by the fire with a bottle of the Doctors Remedy ..... thinking about Bruce and the Co op and how the Gvt cranked us up to become a billion dollar export earner when the times were good ...... and now, in our time of need when we could sure use a bit of help and well being, they seem to have washed their hands of us ...

We need to support Bruce and the Co op, but by crikey it's a real juggling act ...... three ED's and a scale calibration bill came in today .... total cost of  $600 .... and on top of that it was pay day. 

50 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We need to support Bruce and the Co op, but by crikey it's a real juggling act ...... three ED's and a scale calibration bill came in today .... total cost of  $600 .... and on top of that it was pay day. 

And while I'm on a bitch because the Doctors prescription drugs have'nt kicked in yet  ..... ED's .... It really P's me off to have to shell out 70 bucks to electronic file a movement of bees wax from Whitecliffs to South Canterbury when the movement could have been recorded on paper and delivered with the wax ..... the same with honey in  drums

to the contract packer that ended up back here in glass jars .... it's a crock - a - hunny.

Yep .... I is still bitching.   The painkillers are slowly kicking in , but the pain seems to  linger ....  The pain I get when talking to the banker who tells me I should lay staff off ..... and the anger I counteract that with when I get a bill for an ED, or a scale calibration .... or a looming RMP.  ED's  are a short circuit to print money, so are twice yearly RMP's for an operation that extracts honey for two months of the year ,,,,,, and scale calibration are a mystery, reinforced when we had the Gallagher man out here last week and we questioned him about how reliable the load bars and measuring device is . His comment was that they don't break .... period.  In times of struggle I hate to fritter hard earned dollars away, and  the three aforementioned matters are prime examples of frittering money away to Gvt operations that have idea of hardship.

I think I need a big hug from Jacinda.

Uh Huh ... Goran knows where we are coming from ..... plus some I imagine !

Big hug to you too Goran.☺️

Aeiaah .... now the medicine is starting to work ..... Mama is out working with her dogs and I am King of the Castle. 

Life is good. 

But it does'nt  hide the fact that as an industry we are dictated to by authorities who  do not  have a clue about life on the front line. Scientists, Beurocrats and politicians who seem  to think they know how a Bee business works. As  I have said before .... "Now is the time to sharpen your hive tools and rise up ".  

If you have an AFB issue .... the dogs will help you.

If you have a warehouse bulging with honey...... flick Bruce a few dollars.

If you have never tasted Speights, come and see us !

F229FC0A-6C1C-4968-ABEF-33EC498AAF10.jpeg

• Like 7

On 4/06/2019 at 9:02 AM, kaihoka said:

Does that mean it was worth it , to pay that much .

Is the manuka up north flowering ? My ornamental manukas are flowering here .

And the manukas I grew from seed from my pink manukas .

The bees are in them . Its hard to believe they are giving any nectar.

My Pink Manuka is flowering too, but only on the sun side

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/06/2019 at 7:55 PM, Stoney said:

Can you get them to a commercial freezer? May save a bit of your life for more enjoyable things...

On 1/06/2019 at 7:40 PM, Maru Hoani said:

I'm on wax moth and scraping from now onwards, I try do 1 pallets of 28 a day. 

Every second day filling up a 20L bucket of wax and killing up to 100 wax moth grubs, takes about 1-3hour per pallet with 2 people depending how bad the pallet is

Waxmoth, I fix them with formic acid. I  put one hive on the top of another and put a good amount of formic 80% in the top box the formic makes it's way down and kills eggs and the moth.

Edited by Manfred
  • Like 1

Any pictures? 

OK ..... so whose bidding on the antique honey extractor on Trade me .... I figure it would be  good addition to the shop, but if you gotta better use ...... certainly cheaper than one of Mr Boutelje's ! I gotta a four framer similar model if you need one..... but it's toooo big to get through the door !!

11 minutes ago, jamesc said:

OK ..... so whose bidding on the antique honey extractor on Trade me .... I figure it would be  good addition to the shop, but if you gotta better use ...... certainly cheaper than one of Mr Boutelje's ! I gotta a four framer similar model if you need one..... but it's toooo big to get through the door !!

Do you have a link to it.

Posted (edited)

Probably ... but I'm working another tangent !#2174788772

Edited by jamesc

On 1/06/2019 at 12:49 PM, David Kennedy said:

just wondering. is it a good idea to do an oxalic vapour treatment when its raining and all the bees are inside? I

I'm weighing up if it's better to do it today to stay on schedule, or wait until they are flying. this would be the third of a planned five treatments. 

Ive been opening hives lately and looking at them I do have my doubts as to whether OA vapor could penetrate the winter cluster.

• Like 1

On 8/06/2019 at 1:37 PM, Manfred said:

Waxmoth, I fix them with formic acid. I  put one hive on the top of another and put a good amount of formic 80% in the top box the formic makes it's way down and kills eggs and the moth.

More info please! This would be most excellent news if it works. Cheers

14 hours ago, Philbee said:

Ive been opening hives lately and looking at them I do have my doubts as to whether OA vapor could penetrate the winter cluster.

Chatting a awhile back to an beek outfit who used to vape OA, they would agree with you. They now use a very warm OA dribble that makes the cluster open up n move around a bit cleaning up the dribble, before settling down again. their hives are in snow most winters and they have not had any problems yet.

• Good Info 2

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Chatting a awhile back to an beek outfit who used to vape OA, they would agree with you. They now use a very warm OA dribble that makes the cluster open up n move around a bit cleaning up the dribble, before settling down again. their hives are in snow most winters and they have not had any problems yet.

My thoughts also

4 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

They now use a very warm OA dribble that makes the cluster open up n move around a bit cleaning up the dribble,

Wouldn't this encourage ingestion of the brew ? Which I understand is not the best on bees' guts...

Posted (edited)

Forgot to post on monday so here it is anyway.

Very quick check of all 4 hives cos although it was sunny was a very cold breeze.

All hives now clustered a bit and quite happy to stay that way while I gave them the once over. Weirdly for June three still have brood, 2 have just a smattering and one actually had quite a good solid frame of brood, one had no brood I could see.

That one with the solid brood also had the largest amount of bees, still mostly filling a brood box and plenty in the honey box as well, even had fresh nectar in that box! Moved strips towards middle of cluster and brood area. All three of those hives had plenty of stores on board.

4th smaller hive still looking ok, hasnt got much smaller than last check, smattering of brood, not a huge amount of honey but probably ok for its size. Will be watching them, and may give them a bit of syrup in a feeder just in case?

OA Strips still getting a bit chewed in all of the hives, but ok till next check i think

Found several wasps caught in the QE in the biggest hive, one was still alive... gave it the bash with the hive tool! I think the bees had balled them up there, weird to see them at this time of year.

So that will be it till August/Sept at the earliest I think, and then it will be thorough AFB check again... with all the problems here over the last few months, have to be super vigilant then.

Edited by Rashika
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Rashika said:

Forgot to post on monday so here it is anyway.

Very quick check of all 4 hives cos although it was sunny was a very cold breeze.

All hives now clustered a bit and quite happy to stay that way while I gave them the once over. Weirdly for June three still have brood, 2 have just a smattering and one actually had quite a good solid frame of brood, one had no brood I could see.

That one with the solid brood also had the largest amount of bees, still mostly filling a brood box and plenty in the honey box as well, even had fresh nectar in that box! Moved strips towards middle of cluster and brood area. All three of those hives had plenty of stores on board.

4th smaller hive still looking ok, hasnt got much smaller than last check, smattering of brood, not a huge amount of honey but probably ok for its size. Will be watching them, and may give them a bit of syrup in a feeder just in case?

OA Strips still getting a bit chewed in all of the hives, but ok till next check i think

Found several wasps caught in the QE in the biggest hive, one was still alive... gave it the bash with the hive tool! I think the bees had balled them up there, weird to see them at this time of year.

So that will be it till August/Sept at the earliest I think, and then it will be thorough AFB check again... with all the problems here over the last few months, have to be super vigilant then.

so ..... no afb as yet?

Got the sxs700 back from reefrite engineering today new tie down points for my feeding unit and a smoker box, ready for spring🐝

IMG_20190612_174724-2340x3120.jpg

IMG_20190612_174715-1560x2080.jpg

• Like 3

whats an sxs?

9 minutes ago, jamesc said:

whats an sxs?

Honda Side by Side 

Yeah, one of these .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are on heat wave these days.. 34C in a shade.. Not pleasant to work in a suit.. Lime and bramble flow but nectar evaporate quick on such temps.. Scale is somewhat positive zero, honeydew.. think nothing yet so far.. Bearding down to the ground, seems as few bees and queen left in a hive.. Annoying when sweat is going into eyes. Bees want to be grumpy, but even them these temps seems making dizzy.. They show intention to show muscles, but they fast get down ( my subjective comparison is like the dog with tongue all out)..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jamesc said:

so ..... no afb as yet?

not that I can see ... yet...

But it is a bit hard to check properly, 1 broodless, 2 almost and the 1 with a bit of brood looked ok

Just a waiting game... hate that.. 😞

• Sad 1

' I Checked my 3 hives today .

Of the two at home , I took the 3/4 box off the top of my double brood box hive. It still had some honey in it but it was wet inside .

There are not enough bees to keep 3 boxes dry when the sun is so low in the sky and the bush is full of moisture .

I saw the queen and eggs and brood and fresh honey .

My other hive I reduced to one box , I saw the queen but no eggs .

My hive in the hakea is full of honey  and brood . 

It is also a stroppy hive and I got stung .

I had put a 3/4 frame in the hive with a  bit of honey in to go on with . It was not a particularly strong  hive when I took it there .

The bees had  done this to the frame .

frame.thumb.jpg.a5098b247bc2153154b0e0d49b57a7da.jpg

I left it as it was and put it back in the hive .

This hive is chewing the strips , the other hives are not .

I have done no alcohol washes or sugar shakes so I do not know how well they are working .

We shall see by spring .

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, dansar said:

Honda Side by Side 

Oh ..... one of those boy toys.