Maggie James

QUEEN CELL PRODUCTION POWERPOINT TUTORIALS FOR PRODUCING LARGE NUMBERS OF QUALITY QUEEN CELLS

Hello Beekeepers

Twenty five years ago, loving the outdoors I struck on the idea of having a beehive as a hobby, and then I dived into beekeeping with gusto!  I studied at Telford via correspondence.  In those days Telford also offered a queen bee rearing certificate, so once I completed the apiculture knowledge cert, I launched into queen rearing studies.  To complete my queen rearing cert, I was required to be at Telford for 8 weeks, and during this time there was major emphasis on stock selection, grafting techniques and artificial insemination. 

Back home, my first customer enquiry to buy queen cells was for 600!  I really thought it was a hoax, particularly when the guy said he was travelling from the deep south with a chocolate cake for a Saturday a.m. cuppa!   Well, I got heaps of referrals from that outfit.

I then shifted to Leeston, Mid Canterbury, which fortuitously coincided with the breakup of the Airborne Honey beekeeping operation.  All the ABH guys were excellent beekeepers and I ended up with all of them as my customers.  I was based at a large local extraction plant, hence more customers.  I have really great commercial referees, and some of my customers I have retained for 20 years.  The local guys get smaller amounts of cells, but those from long distances generally 70 or 144.  Over the years, I have produced tens of thousands of queen cells. 

So now I have got so much to tell regarding beekeeping, and it has come to a time to change tack and decelerate.  Below are my course dates, with instructions on how to make contact for more information and registration.

Cheers.  Maggie 

Maggie April 201915534.pdf ABC Editorial.pdf

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

QUEEN CELL PRODUCTION TUTORIAL

BRIDGMAN ROOM, THE ARTS VILLAGE, 1240 HINEMARU ST, ROTORUA

SUNDAY 30 JUNE, COMMENCING 9.30 A.M

This tutorial rapidly filling with an interesting selection of experienced beekeepers.  See Maggie April pdf in above posting for contact and essential registration details

Cheers.  Maggie

Hi Beekeepers

I have had a number of phone calls from outfits wanting to know if I was beekeeping pre varroa and am I still beekeeping now.  Yes, I was Prevarroa  and yes post varroa I have retained my loyal and good paying customers.  I understand that the logistics pre and post varroa, and pre the manuka boom (2007) are totally different. 

If anyone needs a commercial referee I am only too happy to supply names.

Up until a few years ago I also undertook South Island  exotic honey bee surveillance.  I had the biggest contracts in the Sth Is.  Tony Roper AQ Api Officer, was initially situated in the Sth Is.  I am sure that Tony will verify that I know my stock and what I am talking about.  Also in the latter years when I worked for Tony, whilst he was in Tauranga, I had the biggest surveillance contacts in the Sth Is.  My sub contractor was Barry Sheehan (previously director Airborne Honey beekeeping operation and owner/operator Sheehan Apiaries (beehive owners. operator extraction & packing plant).  I am sure that both these men will tell you that I never had arguments with owners of hives I was surveying, I was always non judgmental, and if there was an issue I always supplied my solution to the issue, and whatever the official answer I always honored the official decision.  I always honored my contracts on time; whether on contract surveillance or queen cell production.

As I said, I am only too happy for people to contact referees, or take me on face value that I not only can I talk the talk, but I can do the talk..  

Unfortunately due to the availability of rental halls in the Tauranga area, I am unable to obtain a venue for Sunday 4 August.  However, I have a booking at the Welcome Bay Community Hall, Saturday 3 August.  This is a very nice warm, sunny venue, with ample parking, and tea making facilities, and dairy handy. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and if necessary I am happy to field your enquiries.   

Cheers  Maggie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sounds n looks like an ideal introduction to making a few queenies!

After successful tutorials in Rotorua and Springston I was very please with comments from attendees that the tut was value for money.  Yesterday one customer travelled a long distance in appalling weather conditions, and stated that despite this it was well worth making the effort to attend. 

4 hours ago, Maggie James said:

After successful tutorials in Rotorua and Springston I was very please with comments from attendees that the tut was value for money.  Yesterday one customer travelled a long distance in appalling weather conditions, and stated that despite this it was well worth making the effort to attend. 

Maggie if you are ever up in Auck I'd be interested in listening in.  

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Maggie if you are ever up in Auck I'd be interested in listening in.  

I'm sure I've just seen a notice on here re an upcoming session at Carrington ???

Edited by yesbut

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

I'm sure I've just seen a notice on here re an upcoming session at Carrington ???

Thank-you, and I just found this on the hand-out:

28 July: Unitec Campus, Carrington Rd, Mt Albert, Auckland

Always a good chance to meet people too.

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Thank-you, and I just found this on the hand-out:

Always a good chance to meet people too. 

Hi CraBee & Yesbut

At Unitec Campus, Carrington Road, Mt Albert, Auckland this Sunday 28 July. Starting 9.30 a.m, finish approx 3.00 pm  The room number will be confirmed tomorrow.

Maggie Advert Aug3 2019.pdf

Forthcoming Tutorials:

Sunday Venues:   

11 August: Destination on demand

17 August: Masterton Seventh-Day Adventist Church, Cnr Church & Archer Sts        

25 August: Woodlands Tavern, Invercargill

Saturday Venue:  

3 August: Welcome Bay Community Centre, 242 Welcome Bay Rd, Tauranga

At Rotorua, Springston and Auckland the last few weeks, have had diverse groups of beekeepers attending, whom seemed very pleased with the informative tutorial presentation.

There is a nice sized crowd for Tauranga this Saturday.  I can still take bookings.  The Welcome Bay Community Centre is comfortable & warm, with tea making facilities, parking available, and next to a dairy. 

Masterton and Invercargill venues also have tea making facilities, and bookings are looking healthy for both these tutorials.  At Invercargill, the landlord will light the fire for us! 

mjqueenb@xtra.co.nz

I attended the Auckland event and am pleased I did.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

33 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I attended the Auckland event and am pleased I did.

Thanks CraBee.  I have just checked out my rego list, and worked out who you are from your email address.  Good to meet you and hear your comments in the Q&A sections.  The Auck tut was one of the smaller tuts I have taken, but it was a great group of people.  As I said at the end, I am only too happy if you have a query to email me. 

So far for Tauranga, I currently have the same number, but would expect more regos in the next day or so. 

Cheers.  Maggie

Hello Maggie,

Thanks for your presentation last Saturday in the Welcome Bay Community Centre in Tauranga.

I learned a lot  and feel now confident to start raising queen bees for my own hives . . .

Wishing you all the best and thanks for a great presentation

Fridolin Kathan

fridolin@kathan.co.nz

• Like 1