ApiNZ Science & Research

Science'ing it up at conference this year

The annual Sika show in Taupo caters for thousands of people, exhibits and Vehicles

if the wailing of despair on this forum are anything to go by- one would wonder at the need for such a large venue in a year or so.............? 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

The annual Sika show in Taupo caters for thousands of people, exhibits and Vehicles

So does the field days in hamilton, and thats what they are ,field days, not conferences, the sika show auditorium venue can only seat 365 people, mystery creek can seat 5000 if you want and plenty of outdoor space, but a lot of driving to get any accommodation, and costs a lot of dollars to hire. With our conferences you have overseas and local speakers that most people attending are wanting to listen to for most of the days, then the indoor and outdoor stalls etc, it is a different system/need to a field day sort of exhibition, who knows what may change in the future, we may have to go back to smaller venues or to a field day type of program.

• Thanks 1

ChCh has not had a suitable venue since the quakes - 2010.  They are building a convention centre, hopefully completed by the end of this year. 

Because of population bases conference appears to be two years the Nth Is, then one year Sth.  This appears how it is rotated, and I am sure that was how it rotated before the ApiNZ/NBA amalgamation. 

8 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

So does the field days in hamilton, and thats what they are ,field days, not conferences, the sika show auditorium venue can only seat 365 people, mystery creek can seat 5000 if you want and plenty of outdoor space, but a lot of driving to get any accommodation, and costs a lot of dollars to hire. With our conferences you have overseas and local speakers that most people attending are wanting to listen to for most of the days, then the indoor and outdoor stalls etc, it is a different system/need to a field day sort of exhibition, who knows what may change in the future, we may have to go back to smaller venues or to a field day type of program.

Im not aware of pricing in Taupo but I do know that there are various indoor/outdoor options for a conference at the TPO  events center that do not involve the Auditorium part of the building if it has a hefty price tag in itself.

Our Mayor is a good approachable guy who has spent his life in Taupo business and knows hard times himself. 

We also have a couple of Beeks here who could possible assist in making something happen 

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Im not aware of pricing in Taupo but I do know that there are various indoor/outdoor options for a conference at the TPO  events center that do not involve the Auditorium part of the building if it has a hefty price tag in itself.

Our Mayor is a good approachable guy who has spent his life in Taupo business and knows hard times himself. 

We also have a couple of Beeks here who could possible assist in making something happen 

Yes they do, but not enough for what we want, you can add seating to any of the other areas, but then you don't have enough indoor room for what our exhibiters want. When we went to using an events company due to the numbers involved, they were tasked with looking for venues that suited what we wanted in both Islands, there really is not a lot of choice, rotorua has been catering to tourism for years, so have accommodation by the bucket load and luckily for us they built that events center nearby, but it gets booked out all year so we have to fit in when we can get it, and the south island has even less options. We would love to be able to move around the country more, but at this stage and size we are limited.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

On 22/06/2019 at 8:45 PM, Dennis Crowley said:

Chris, if you want to run a conference with outdoor space and indoor and 800+ people with accommodation close, then no you cant, we have looked.

Dennis, ok fair enough this as they say 'is your party'.  Over time, people will vote with their wallets and it will sort itself out. 

Meanwhile, I've had pleasure to attend a large conference like this held at the University of Auckland where they have space, for commercial booths and large lecture theatres available out of term time and I've also seen the Ellerslie Racecourse used for both small events (school balls) and also some quite large events where they have indoor/outdoor space and catering. There is the ASB (Easter Show) showgrounds where you need less than half, there is Alexandra Park, then there is North Harbour Stadium. According to the news, all around NZ there are Racecourses struggling to make ends meet and faced with closure. I have been to one non-rugby event at Eden Park a few years ago and the catering was great. The Ellerslie Flower Show and Auckland Boat Show are both held in NZ and are bigger than the conference. There is the ILT Stadium in Invercargill which has a roof and the footy is soon to be finished. Nearer to home the AIMS games have used the ASB Stadium for opening ceremonies, car park is huge and Baypark itself is adjacent if you really need more outside display space. How about hosing it down and then doing some time trials in bee trucks?

I completely agree any of these venues would not be the same, and you would have to use your imagination, but in these trying times we all need to be flexible.

And it might be good if they aren't all the same,  Forrest's mother said life is like a box of chocolates.

3 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Dennis, ok fair enough this as they say 'is your party'.  Over time, people will vote with their wallets and it will sort itself out. 

Meanwhile, I've had pleasure to attend a large conference like this held at the University of Auckland where they have space, for commercial booths and large lecture theatres available out of term time and I've also seen the Ellerslie Racecourse used for both small events (school balls) and also some quite large events where they have indoor/outdoor space and catering. There is the ASB (Easter Show) showgrounds where you need less than half, there is Alexandra Park, then there is North Harbour Stadium. According to the news, all around NZ there are Racecourses struggling to make ends meet and faced with closure. I have been to one non-rugby event at Eden Park a few years ago and the catering was great. The Ellerslie Flower Show and Auckland Boat Show are both held in NZ and are bigger than the conference. There is the ILT Stadium in Invercargill which has a roof and the footy is soon to be finished. Nearer to home the AIMS games have used the ASB Stadium for opening ceremonies, car park is huge and Baypark itself is adjacent if you really need more outside display space. How about hosing it down and then doing some time trials in bee trucks?

I completely agree any of these venues would not be the same, and you would have to use your imagination, but in these trying times we all need to be flexible.

And it might be good if they aren't all the same,  Forrest's mother said life is like a box of chocolates.

A geographical compromise is required and thats probably one of the reasons for  Vegas.
Auckland while having a lot of Beeks would disadvantage a significant number of other Beeks.
The best options IMO are the center of the South and North Islands 

On 22/06/2019 at 9:40 PM, Mummzie said:

if the wailing of despair on this forum are anything to go by- one would wonder at the need for such a large venue in a year or so.............? 

I was wondering that myself .

If the country gets down to 400000 hives and the corresponding number of beeks , surely conferences would get smaller .

13 hours ago, ChrisM said:

There are lots of bee meetings now it seems - of different sizes. The fact is that the ApiNZ conference now has about 1000 people at it. With the requirement for multiple seminar rooms (of varying sizes), exhibitor space (near the presentation rooms to get people through), poster space etc.

Come along to the conference @ChrisM and then see if you can think of other venues to accommodate all the different facets of this meeting.

I say this as both a presenter and a trade exhibitor at this year's meeting. . . the Rotorua venue really is very good. A few years ago it was at the Whanganui racecourse. It was small, cramped and I would not go back as an exhibitor.

One of the common issues is that attendees never give to much consideration to the trade exhibitors and their requirements. They pay far more money than attendees do and if you're complaining about conference costs then check out what they'd cost *without* the exhibitors sponsorship.

13 hours ago, Philbee said:

A geographical compromise is required and thats probably one of the reasons for  Vegas.
Auckland while having a lot of Beeks would disadvantage a significant number of other Beeks.

I used to help run a meeting in Taupo. Was difficult for South Island as flights were difficult. I believe they're even more limited now ?

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

14 hours ago, ChrisM said:

yes chris there are lots of places that can run field day type of exhibitions, and like you I have been to many of them over the years, but not many can seat 800-1000 people in an auditorium where you can here speakers clearly for three days at a time. and not have to drive through city rush hour traffic from accommodation etc etc.

5 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I was wondering that myself .

If the country gets down to 400000 hives and the corresponding number of beeks , surely conferences would get smaller .

Yes this can all change and that would change the venues needed, but it wont be based on the number of hives, it'l be based on the number of beekeepers.400,000 beekeepers who own 1 hive each and we will really be struggling to find a venue for them.

14 hours ago, Philbee said:

Agree, CHCH yes for the south, Taupo too small, Hamilton can have issues with planes landing with fog, Rotorua not bad for the north.

• Like 1

I'm starting to feel better and better about not bothering to go. 😉

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

I'm starting to feel better and better about not bothering to go. 😉

You probably know more than half of them there, as much as another quarter, not quite as much as an eighth, and the rest are just after your money.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

yes chris there are lots of places that can run field day type of exhibitions, and like you I have been to many of them over the years, but not many can seat 800-1000 people in an auditorium where you can here speakers clearly for three days at a time. and not have to drive through city rush hour traffic from accommodation etc etc.

Yes this can all change and that would change the venues needed, but it wont be based on the number of hives, it'l be based on the number of beekeepers.400,000 beekeepers who own 1 hive each and we will really be struggling to find a venue for them.

Agree, CHCH yes for the south, Taupo too small, Hamilton can have issues with planes landing with fog, Rotorua not bad for the north.

In what way is TPO too small?
We host some seriously large events here

8 hours ago, JohnF said:

There are lots of bee meetings now it seems - of different sizes. The fact is that the ApiNZ conference now has about 1000 people at it. With the requirement for multiple seminar rooms (of varying sizes), exhibitor space (near the presentation rooms to get people through), poster space etc.

Come along to the conference @ChrisM and then see if you can think of other venues to accommodate all the different facets of this meeting.

I say this as both a presenter and a trade exhibitor at this year's meeting. . . the Rotorua venue really is very good. A few years ago it was at the Whanganui racecourse. It was small, cramped and I would not go back as an exhibitor.

One of the common issues is that attendees never give to much consideration to the trade exhibitors and their requirements. They pay far more money than attendees do and if you're complaining about conference costs then check out what they'd cost *without* the exhibitors sponsorship.

I used to help run a meeting in Taupo. Was difficult for South Island as flights were difficult. I believe they're even more limited now ?

Yes thats not something I didnt consider.
We drive to Rotorua to get a plane down south

Where ever conference is held it’s not going to be cheap for some to get there.

i would certainly like to see it in the South Island again .

it will be a great conference I’m sure and I’m very glad I’m not having to organise it !

• Agree 2

What was that tune..... ‘Travelin light...’

8322B9DE-72D1-4F58-A442-63D85160990F.jpeg

• Like 1

Nescafe !   Yeetch !!

• Agree 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Nescafe !   Yeetch !!

We ‘aint all on the pension Bro!!

No power either.... 

B03BE519-0752-406E-88BD-F74C227B5018.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

What was that tune..... ‘Travelin light...’

8322B9DE-72D1-4F58-A442-63D85160990F.jpeg

if you end up stuck in wellington on the way back down south then shout out - if you want the luxury of a couch, a shower, and a box of speights that is :) edit: and stovetop or filter coffee if that's to your taste, our fancy coffee machine went walkabout recently, so none of that on tap unless i walk down the road a hundred metres

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Chill Out 1

On 22/06/2019 at 8:45 PM, Dennis Crowley said:

Chris, if you want to run a conference with outdoor space and indoor and 800+ people with accommodation close, then no you cant, we have looked. A lot of NZ companies have conferences in aussie because it is cheaper than here in NZ. if you talking about a few hundred for a day then yes you can run them all over the place. In all the big centers you have named, there are places that will seat 6-800, but no room for exhibitors and you have to travel across the city to find accommodation, or they don't have the outdoor room. The auckland conference center being built only will take 700 people, but no space for indoor exhibits and who wants to drive through auckland traffic to get anywhere. We have had a look at all the bigger centers in NZ and NZ is not set up for these sorts of things. We did talk about overseas, but the exhibitors said count us out.

Hamilton-

Mystery Creek, 

Claudlands event centre

Theres plenty of accommodation options in and close to Hamilton.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can someone broadcast the main parts on FB Live? Just add here the link and we will be all set. I will give 505 thank yous.

Edited by Kiwi Bee

On 21/06/2019 at 6:39 PM, Philbee said:

dual fuel Prado and a Crane trailer from Hell

I’d like to see a photo of that. 

Posted (edited)

For those that didn't go to conference, the presentations are now available on line: http://apicultureconference2019.co.nz/presentations/

The Science program goes from the presentation of Sarah Cross through to Max Burton. There are further talks in the AFB session and on viruses/pathogens

Edited by ApiNZ Science & Research

15 hours ago, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

For those that didn't go to conference, the presentations are now available on line: http://apicultureconference2019.co.nz/presentations/

The Science program goes from the presentation of Sarah Cross through to Max Burton. There are further talks in the AFB session and on viruses/pathogens

can you redo that web page. it downloads every single pdf when you go to it. those on slow connection will have a very long wait for the page to load.

simple links to the pdf is all that is required.

7 minutes ago, tristan said:

can you redo that web page. it downloads every single pdf when you go to it. those on slow connection will have a very long wait for the page to load.

simple links to the pdf is all that is required.

Will pass that along Tristan.