ApiNZ Science & Research

Science'ing it up at conference this year

3 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

There will be membership forms there Trve, so next year you can get a better price.

Please note @Dennis Crowley that I only responded to a question on what the cost was to go to the Conference.  And I posted a link to all the registration costs.

I only quoted 1 of about 10 possibilities.

I understand about the cost of running such a convention, specially when an outside agency is bought in to run the event which had previous to Rotorua been run by volunteers.

As per membership.  I don't think I will be paying $115.00 per year as a hobbyist with 25 plus hives. Thanks for the invite.

I will see you at the Conference.

I detect a hint of humour in Dennis' response, Trevor.

• Agree 1

For many years it was compulsory to belong to the National beekeepers Association and because of that it was very important to make conferences  as accessible and affordable as possible so that any member that wanted to could attend. I knew people who hitchhiked to get their and either stayed with friends or backpacker accommodation. For many beekeepers it was the only holiday they had all year.

Conferences are now run more professionally but also more expensively and to some extent without the fun and spontaneity they had in the past.  No one has to belong to Apinz and it's up to individuals to decide whether to belong and whether conference cost too much.

I have helped run a few conferences in the past and we certainly had a policy of charging nonmembers more and  I have no problem with that.

I am a member of Apinz and I am quite capable of saying when I don't like something they are doing. If enough people who agree with me joined as well then things could and would change but for now the majority seem happy and that is how a democracy works.

• Agree 1

Its not about charging non members more  its about levy payers access to the AFB session to all levy payers, so they can learn whats new, be part of the consultation process, as was suggested in a AFB mail out a few months ago

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, john berry said:

I knew people who hitchhiked to get their and either stayed with friends or backpacker accommodation.....

Conferences are now run more professionally but also more expensively and to some extent without the fun and spontaneity they had in the past.

And WAY back in time, they even used to get there by train. Which led to the following scenario, when 3 beekeepers were returning home afterwards.

The train stopped at a station and a 20 minute break was announced. One of the guys had an apiary very close to the train stop and invited the other two to go with him and have a quick look, which they did. On the way back, climbing over a barbed wire fence, one of the beekeepers ripped the back out of his trousers. But, no worries. He had another pair in his bag so once back onboard and the train was moving again, he went to the toilet, locked the door, took his ripped trousers off which looked beyond repair, and threw them out the window.

Opened his bag for the other pair, and, they were not there he'd left them behind. 🤣

And yes, that is a true story.

Edited by Alastair
  • Haha 12

5 hours ago, JohnF said:

I detect a hint of humour in Dennis' response, Trevor.

Yes.  I am sure he was.  

I actually have a lot of respect for @Dennis Crowley even if we have locked horns a couple of times on this forum.  But what a boring old life it would be if we all agreed on everything.

I am sure we will meet up at the conference, have a coffee and a chin wag.

You also @JohnF . Will you be having a stand at the conference as i would also like to catch up with you.

Are the Venue grounds and outside exhibits open to non registered people? 

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  I am sure he was.  

I actually have a lot of respect for @Dennis Crowley even if we have locked horns a couple of times on this forum.  But what a boring old life it would be if we all agreed on everything.

I am sure we will meet up at the conference, have a coffee and a chin wag.

You also @JohnF . Will you be having a stand at the conference as i would also like to catch up with you.

As I for you Trev, yes ill be around for coffee at conference.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

.You also @JohnF . Will you be having a stand at the conference as i would also like to catch up with you.

Yep, will have a dnature stand there Trev. I’ll

apologise to anyone in advance - you’ll be sick of me. I see I’m MC’ing the first session , I’m convening the science session, talking in the AFB session (with @Rene Gloor and @AFB PMP Management Agency) . . . and then talking viruses on the Saturday with the most excellent bloke Richard Hall from MPI and the Bee pathogen program. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can still hope to get a coffee with you sometime.  Sounds like you are going to be pretty busy.

I will be spending a fair bit of my time on the Ecrotek stand.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

:91_thumbsup: Always time for a coffee. Or a beer.

• Chill Out 1

21 hours ago, Philbee said:

Are the Venue grounds and outside exhibits open to non registered people? 

Good question.  

I had a look at the programme- only really interested in 3 topics- over 3 days.  Not really worth the investment I feel. I could be interested in heading over to check out the trade stuff and catch up with some other beekeepers, if allowed to.  

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Good question.  

I had a look at the programme- only really interested in 3 topics- over 3 days.  Not really worth the investment I feel. I could be interested in heading over to check out the trade stuff and catch up with some other beekeepers, if allowed to.  

Exactly

I would be very disappointed if there was a locked gate because now is not the time to pursue that type of business model.

In all business’s there is a cost for professional development. Although not cheap I still see value in going.

I especially like hearing about new science discoveries. 

Also it is our only holiday each year and we really enjoy catching up with fellow beeks, some we only see at conference and really miss them if they don’t attend. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Philbee said:

Exactly

I would be very disappointed if there was a locked gate because now is not the time to pursue that type of business model.

I don't know Phil . . the 'freebie' business model has always been short-lived !

The conference is at the Energy Events Centre - no locked gate. You'd probably get into the trade stands inside even ( but not sure on that) - neck lanyards checked for the presentations though I reckon.

I've always enjoyed the conferences plenty of interesting topics and interesting people to meet. Also great to catch up with clients who live outside our region.

Unfortunately it's just a bridge to far this year for us.

3 hours ago, JohnF said:

I don't know Phil . . the 'freebie' business model has always been short-lived !

The conference is at the Energy Events Centre - no locked gate. You'd probably get into the trade stands inside even ( but not sure on that) - neck lanyards checked for the presentations though I reckon.

Lanyards checked as you enter building, and you have to wear them all the time so its easy to see who, outside is in open and still a public space, but you may not get a snack and drink

• Thanks 1

The reality is that there is very little money around and to charge what would normally be market rates is IMO a form of discrimination at a time when inclusion is required.
The cost is not a barrier to me personally but I wont be paying it on the basis that I view it unreasonable to exclude those who work hard in the industry but are constrained by a financial situation beyond their control.
I will go to the conference and hopefully catch up with some Beeks and kick some crane tires out in the holding Pens

Actually Ive had an idea

Ill bring my dual fuel Prado and a Crane trailer from Hell

It will be in the public carpark so anyone wants to kick its tires there are 6 to choose from.

Its not for sale and Im too tired to build any more but its interesting to look at.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I've always enjoyed the conferences plenty of interesting topics and interesting people to meet. Also great to catch up with clients who live outside our region.

Unfortunately it's just a bridge to far this year for us.

It's always been a bridge to far for me, this is my first time going and iv been in the industry over a decade

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Philbee said:

The reality is that there is very little money around and to charge what would normally be market rates is IMO a form of discrimination at a time when inclusion is required.
The cost is not a barrier to me personally but I wont be paying it on the basis that I view it unreasonable to exclude those who work hard in the industry but are constrained by a financial situation beyond their control.
I will go to the conference and hopefully catch up with some Beeks and kick some crane tires out in the holding Pens

Actually Ive had an idea

Ill bring my dual fuel Prado and a Crane trailer from Hell

It will be in the public carpark so anyone wants to kick its tires there are 6 to choose from.

Its not for sale and Im too tired to build any more but its interesting to look at.

These conferences dont come cheap, beeks will say how they were cheaper when branches used to do them, but they don't take into account all the free slave labour that branch members used to put in, I know, been there done that, and beeks used to complain about the price back then as well. The issue like it or not is the amount of people that want to attend and finding places that have enough room for outside stands close to accommodation. Back when branches were doing them if you got 300 people that was good, the last 5yrs we have had over 800 on average and not many venues can hold that number of people along with the other things we want.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

These conferences dont come cheap, beeks will say how they were cheaper when branches used to do them, but they don't take into account all the free slave labour that branch members used to put in, I know, been there done that, and beeks used to complain about the price back then as well. The issue like it or not is the amount of people that want to attend and finding places that have enough room for outside stands close to accommodation. Back when branches were doing them if you got 300 people that was good, the last 5yrs we have had over 800 on average and not many venues can hold that number of people along with the other things we want.

My question would be, "Are our aspirations exceeding our means" 

In other words can we afford them?

Is there a realistic cost benefit?

An example would be to compare the commercial aspects / benefits of a conference to the informative power of this site and other internet media
This site has benefited the industry by millions of dollars yet costs nothing.

However just like the fact that video and the likes did not kill the Cinema industry neither should the internet kill the Conference system because people need social interaction 

On this basis I believe that the real loss and pain for those who cannot afford to attend an industry gathering is not so much for the loss of learned speakers but more for the lost opportunity to interact with Peers.

So if the fixed costs of hosting a conference are very high, maybe the scope and focus of the event can be modified to reflect the times.

In the past those who moaned about prices probably still attended, such is the nature of men.

Will this year be different, maybe?

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

Shyt yeah, over a grand with accommodation not including meals, diesel kms, fuel, and auckland toll Bridget which always gets me with the 9.50 fine. 

This will probly be the only year I go because how do you justify travelling nearly a day and paying that much when you are struggling to pay your wages, laying workers off and 20 pallets left to scrape and wax moth still to deal with? 

3 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Shyt yeah, over a grand with accommodation not including meals, diesel kms, fuel, and auckland toll Bridget which always gets me with the 9.50 fine. 

This will probly be the only year I go because how do you justify travelling nearly a day and paying that much when you are struggling to pay your wages, laying workers off and 20 pallets left to scrape and wax moth still to deal with? 

The conference doesn't cost you a grand, its all the other expenses that you have to incur, perhaps cheaper accommodation and food choices, double up with others to help with costs.

There are lots of cheap accommodation 5-10mins drive away from the venue, some with kitchenettes that you can use for cheaper food bills, but cant do anything about the travel as you live where you live and your choice to get a fine or not. The problem is there is no where in auckland with the things we ned to have a conference there, no wellington, christchurch and most other bigger centers, last year we had to restrict numbers due to the venue and not so easy to travel to as well.

• Agree 1

I'm sure the conference could be run in any of the main centres (including AKL, WLG, HAM, TGA, CHC and Dunners) and quite a few of the smaller ones (including Rotorua, Whangarei and Taupo) if a little imagination was used. It seems logical to rotate the venue around the country.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I'm sure the conference could be run in any of the main centres (including AKL, WLG, HAM, TGA, CHC and Dunners) and quite a few of the smaller ones (including Rotorua, Whangarei and Taupo) if a little imagination was used. It seems logical to rotate the venue around the country.

Chris, if you want to run a conference with outdoor space and indoor and 800+ people with accommodation close, then no you cant, we have looked. A lot of NZ companies have conferences in aussie because it is cheaper than here in NZ. if you talking about a few hundred for a day then yes you can run them all over the place. In all the big centers you have named, there are places that will seat 6-800, but no room for exhibitors and you have to travel across the city to find accommodation, or they don't have the outdoor room. The auckland conference center being built only will take 700 people, but no space for indoor exhibits and who wants to drive through auckland traffic to get anywhere. We have had a look at all the bigger centers in NZ and NZ is not set up for these sorts of things. We did talk about overseas, but the exhibitors said count us out.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1