Michaelr

Document Beekeepers Seminar Day - Auckland

Beekeepers Seminar Day - Auckland 

Fairway Events Centre, 17A Silverfield, Wairau Valley.

Just behind the North Shore Events Centre

PRESENTATIONS & LATEST INFORMATION

Dr John Craig

Manuka Standards   Where to from here?

Dr Mark Goodwin & James Sainsbury

New Ways of Managing AFB & What should your hive look like?

Hayley Pragert  Surveillance Adviser, Biosecurity NZ

Bee Pathogen, outline of the research, results today and where to in the future.

Grant Redshaw

Trevor Gillbanks

Beekeeping Tools & Gadgets                AND MORE TO COME

Opportunity to Chat to your Friendly Supplier

Courtesy of the Auckland Branch of NZ Beekeeping Incorporated

Email: info@nzbeekeeping.co.nz

& Enquiries Chas 021 190 1342

1 Beekeepers Seminar Day - Takapuna June 2019.pdf

is there any cost associated with attendance? can't see anything about that on the linked document

If anyone from here goes to this I would very much like to hear about the presentation by John Craig regarding the Manuka Standard.

the cost is $50 per person which includes Coffee/ Tea, morning tea and spit roast lunch included 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

7 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

If anyone from here goes to this I would very much like to hear about the presentation by John Craig regarding the Manuka Standard.

Try reading the info on John Craig on the Tahi Estate website - remarkable example of conservation blending with beekeeping. Over the last year Harrods of London did a big promo on Tahi Honey. Has the backround to truly understand the current problems of manuka testing, and was eloquently vocal as well as very versed in the technical side at the manuka testing consultation meeting in Whangarei.

• Agree 1

John Craig was once with Tahi beekeeping. From my experience, how you talk doesn't mean you are any good at it (re beekeeping here).  And deep pockets, top flight networking and strong promo gets you into exclusive clubs such like Harrods. 

16 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

John Craig was once with Tahi beekeeping. From my experience, how you talk doesn't mean you are any good at it (re beekeeping here).  And deep pockets, top flight networking and strong promo gets you into exclusive clubs such like Harrods. 

Agreed, it is possible to be all theory - but when it comes to understanding the new manuka tests, a through education in the biochemistry is what most of us beekeepers lack. Not only having the education, but as the principal of Tahi Honey John Craig has a unique grasp of the problems which the new tests have wrought on the Northland area. 

@Sailabee what are the Northland producers doing with their honey ?

are they storing it in the hope MPI change the definition?

29 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Sailabee what are the Northland producers doing with their honey ?

are they storing it in the hope MPI change the definition?

Sorry @frazzledfozzle, not up to date at present, but at the Whangarei meeting I had the impression they were all struggling because the new testing regime meant that very little qualified as high rating manuka. Will hopefully know more after June 8.

• Good Info 1

8 hours ago, Sailabee said:

Agreed, it is possible to be all theory - but when it comes to understanding the new manuka tests, a through education in the biochemistry is what most of us beekeepers lack. Not only having the education, but as the principal of Tahi Honey John Craig has a unique grasp of the problems which the new tests have wrought on the Northland area. 

From what I know, Craig split with Tahi years ago (unless some a reunion occurred since ) .. And running with another strongly competing operator.  Tahi was run by his daughter when I visited a few years ago. And their beekeeping (at that time) left me with a lasting sour impression.  Hence my nod to be aware.  Talkers and doers. 

Manuka science must have been discussed end to end by now.  And still it's debated to death. 

• Good Info 1

Can anyone report on this meeting? I hope they had good attendance . . .

3 hours ago, JohnF said:

Can anyone report on this meeting? I hope they had good attendance . . .

I believe Terry and @Kate R went along. Terry said it was very well attended (100+ people?), with some good talks.

• Thanks 1

I was there along with quite a few others. Was a good presentation discussing issues with Manuka standard. Another discussing the use of oxalic and glycerine mite treatment. 

One interesting point was the volume of non Manuka honey being exported at a price point suggesting that it was being labeled as Manuka after export. If my understanding is correct and this is indeed  what the new standard has brought about then mpi has created a very negative situation that is not good for consumers or beekeepers but very lucrative for a select few who choose to exploite this situation.

• Agree 2