frazzledfozzle

Offshore articles relating to Manuka honey

Why are we still seeing this type of article in offshore newspapers ?

often there’s quotes from the UMF association dissing anything to do with MGO and basically saying that unless it’s got the UMF trademark it’s counterfeit.

Its bad enough trying to deal with the crap shoot that is the MPI Manuka standard without this type of rubbish making the rounds.

its not doing NZ Manuka honey any favours that’s for sure and I think the UMF club need to pull their head in. 

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/fake-manuka-honey

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm not sure what I should be seeing that's upsetting in the article.  Or is it just yet another uncalled for emphasis on fraud ?

if UMF org didnt create a fragmented market it certainly encouraged it. To join the UMF club and use their measure there is a significant one-off cost. It sets the bar to high for small/small-medium outfits and forces them to use other measures.

If you're cynical you could think UMF have a goal to devalue competition making it more attractive for them to wholesale to UMF rather than direct to market (or just exit).

At a company level it might make sense to talk up your brand and discredit your competition. Dial your view back to a 'nz brand' industry level and its illogical and damaging.

Perhaps if UMF had gone with another pricing model the govt wouldn't have felt the need to step in

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 15/05/2019 at 7:00 PM, yesbut said:

I'm not sure what I should be seeing that's upsetting in the article.  Or is it just yet another uncalled for emphasis on fraud ?

Its another uncalled for emphasis on fraud made to look legitimate by quoting opinions from the UMF association.

With the advent of the MPI Manuka standard there should be no accusations of fraud relating to nz Manuka.

I have yet to see one article calling into question the authenticity of Australian faux Manuka when in reality there should be heaps. 

For the UMF club to call into question genuine Manuka honey that passes the MPI standard because those particular companies don’t belong to their organisation is doing our whole industry a lot of harm. 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Thanks 1