Alastair

Anti 1080 campaigners trying to damage beekeeping industry

Posted (edited)

Anti 1080 campaigners have started a new tactic. They now have a photo of a dead cow, claimed to have been killed by 1080. The photo shows several bees on it's mouth and nose collecting moisture, probably for the salt content.

Using Facebook and other social media, this photo has been sent around the world, along with claims that thousands of beehives have been killed, and tainted honey from New Zealand is being sold around the world.

I think this is economic sabotage, attempting to get their way by causing damage to the economy, with beekeepers as the innocent victims.

bee on dead cow.JPG

Edited by Alastair
  • Sad 6

Posted (edited)

This photo has featured here before
This Beast died in an unfenced  creek where bees get water
A couple of bees can be seen getting the water 

This still must be taken from the same video as the other photo on the site but is at a slightly different angle and more graphic than the previous shot.

Edited by Philbee

Economic sabotage ...   I have a bumper sticker that proclaims "1080 kills bees" ..... I dunno ..... I'll tell ya what though, we had a surprise visit today ..... me and eldest boy were straightening out the steering tie rod of the Toyota with the palfinger crane on Stella - try doing that with an Ezi lift -  when my old mate from England walked into the yard. 

Our honey buyer from years gone by ..... It's always good to catch up with business colleagues, even though we have'nt done business for a year or two now.  

He was quite shocked at the state of the  industry here, and like us was hurting  what with Brexit and China ....

He did'nt buy our honey - again- but that's OK ..... we have moved on ..... and as I took the dog up the paddock for a run I hatched a plan ..... only my outfitters in Christchurch have closed down  and I'll have to look elsewhere  for some shiny boots and clean trousers ...  but following along the lines of YOLO ..... You Only Live Once .... I need to make a world trip .... taking in Singapore, Honk Kong , Northern Japan and then jump on the  Trans Siberian to visit Whanau in the old country and drum up a bit of business enroute.

Desperate times  call for desperate measures.

I've got ten weeks .... the big question is .... shall I turn the lights off when I leave ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Anti 1080 campaigners have started a new tactic. They now have a photo of a dead cow, claimed to have been killed by 1080. The photo shows several bees on it's mouth and nose collecting moisture, probably for the salt content.

Using Facebook and other social media, this photo has been sent around the world, along with claims that thousands of beehives have been killed, and tainted honey from New Zealand is being sold around the world.

I think this is economic sabotage, attempting to get their way by causing damage to the economy, with beekeepers as the innocent victims.

bee on dead cow.JPG

Anti-1080ers, like Antivaxxers, Flat Earthers and every other conspiracy enthusiast have never let facts get in the way of a good story.

• Agree 4

35 minutes ago, Philbee said:

This still must be taken from the same video as the other photo on the site but is at a slightly different angle and more graphic than the previous shot.

I suspected about as much Phil, and it may well be they are truthful and the bees did get some 1080 from it.

But what bugs me is the completely false and manufactured lies that are being put around with the photo, that thousands of hives have died, and contaminated NZ honey is being sold around the world.

These people are just outright liars, prepared to do anything regardless who is hurt.

• Agree 2

Desparate times ... ?

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Alastair said:

But what bugs me is the completely false and manufactured lies that are being put around with the photo, that thousands of hives have died, and contaminated NZ honey is being sold around the world.

These people are just outright liars, prepared to do anything regardless who is hurt.

the anti-1080 crew is all sorts of inconsistency - but the majority will accept and perpetuate any lie that supports their wish for nz to be 1080-free. Loads of genuine people have been caught up by it, but the lies are mostly fed by two types:

1 - hunters who hate that 1080 kills deer but know that deer are viewed as a pest so have to make up lies to push the argument to stop 1080 killing their sport;  and

2 - stupid people who shouldn't be allowed to own dogs who took their dogs off-leash into a recently 1080-ed area and then their dogs died, but they refuse to accept they killed their dog via their own stupidity and instead seek to blame...

• Agree 2

Is 1080 toxic to bees .? 

When I got my cyanide licence  we covered other poisons and the info I read suggested that dogs were the most susceptible  and molluscs not at all .

Its hard to find out the facts now , there is so much contradictory info out there .

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

Fake News.  That beast did not die from drinking water contaminated by a 1080 drop.  Thousands of water samples have been taken  following 1080 drops, only a very tiny fraction  even test positive for 1080, and the testing thresh hold is as low as .1 part per billion(ppb).  Even a smaller number have ever been above the allowable limit for drinking water of 2ppb even when taken from streams in the drop zone.  At 2ppm a human would have to drink 60,000 litres of that water to get a lethal dose.  No beast, no bird, no bee, no person has been harmed by drinking water following a 1080 drop.  Only eating the bait can deliver a lethal dose.  

Just saying.. I'm neither for nor against 1080. I am against misinformation. 

The pic is from a video taken (by a beek I should add). It relates to the story below. 

https://amp.rnz.co.nz/article/f1b8d66b-f198-498c-9cfa-234073e975f3

Dig around online and you will find more information on this case. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1080 will definately kill a cow. 

Not arguing that, it's probably unavoidable that in huge poison bait operations the odd screw up will happen.

But I'm appalled by the attack on the beekeeping industry and the outright lies being spread around the world. Thousands of beehives have not been killed, no beekeepers have been driven out of business by 1080 (as they claim), and we are not selling contaminated honey around the world and covering it up by government.

27 minutes ago, Daniel Benefield said:

The pic is from a video taken (by a beek I should add). It relates to the story below. 

https://amp.rnz.co.nz/article/f1b8d66b-f198-498c-9cfa-234073e975f3

Dig around online and you will find more information on this case. 

I see in your linked article, that the leaders of the ban 1080 movement are now advocating to their followers, "make more noise, cause more trouble". 

So these idiots think it's fine to mess with my industry, and my livelihood. Cos if they make enough trouble, they think they can blackmail the govt.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, David Yanke said:

Fake News.  That beast did not die from drinking water contaminated by a 1080 drop.  Thousands of water samples have been taken  following 1080 drops, only a very tiny fraction  even test positive for 1080, and the testing thresh hold is as low as .1 part per billion(ppb).  Even a smaller number have ever been above the allowable limit for drinking water of 2ppb even when taken from streams in the drop zone.  At 2ppm a human would have to drink 60,000 litres of that water to get a lethal dose.  No beast, no bird, no bee, no person has been harmed by drinking water following a 1080 drop.  Only eating the bait can deliver a lethal dose.  

Yes Im sure.
I guess this demonstrates the importance of being clear when posting.
My point is that the reason there are bees on and around carcass is that the beast died in the Bees drinking place.

It was able to do so because the creek was un fenced.
The photo is emotive an not indicative of reality IMO

All pics are emotive these days when posted on line with a made up narrative to either stir up emotion or sway  ones thinking either way to suit their agenda .

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Read a few things lately about social media becoming a bad thing for society.

For example we now have a measles outbreak, a disease that kills one in a thousand people who get it, that was once exterminated in NZ. Reason because false fears and bad science has been spread on social media about vaccines. Most people have the smarts to see through this, but enough people do believe it, to withold vaccination from their children, and give the disease a foothold all over again. A risk to their children, and a cost to society in general.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2

Much of the 1080 rubbish is only viable because we now have many real city raised people - when we were kids, we were all small town kids, and everyone spent some time on farms - even if it was a friends or cousins in the mud, crud, and reality and there were few vegetarians let alone vegans, and we all knew where our meat came from. Now we have 'furbabies' - a word that seriously gives me the heaves, and many seem to think that food - including meat is produced in factories.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

seem to think that food - including meat is produced in factories.

It soon will be .

a choice between fake meat and crispy crickets .

Then  I will be a vegetarian.

On 11 May 2019 at 7:15 PM, jamesc said:

when my old mate from England walked into the yard. 

Our honey buyer from years gone by ..... It's always good to catch up with business colleagues, even though we have'nt done business for a year or two now.  

He was quite shocked at the state of the  industry here, and like us was hurting  what with Brexit and China ....

He did'nt buy our honey - again- but that's OK ..

Jamesc, did your mate from England not want your honey or not offering enough for it?

It was'nt  the nice white clover that  he was looking for.   

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

It was'nt  the nice white clover that  he was looking for.   

Is clover ever really white .? 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Is clover ever really white .? 

Sure .... white clover .... creamy white honey ... 0-9 ..... what Adam is looking for ..... hens teeth ....

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Sure .... white clover .... creamy white honey ... 0-9 ..... what Adam is looking for ..... hens teeth ....

You could always add icing sugar and whip it up .

That would make it white .

• Haha 1

On 11/05/2019 at 7:15 PM, jamesc said:

@jamesc can you explain what exactly about the industry has shocked him.  Ta in advance

Back in the 'Glory Days' we use to sell all our honey bulk.

It was easy, we knew where it was going , and whether we produced twenty tonnes or a hundred tonnes , there was always a phone call in early January with a broad Northern England accent asking how the season was looking.  There was a little bit of banter and discussion of prices, but we always settled, and the price was always above the domestic market price, whether it was for Clover, Dew, or low quality manuka.  By the end of May the shed was empty of drums and generally by the end of July the money was in the bank and we were cashed up for another year. 

Those were the Glory Days. We prospered ..... built sheds, bought trucks , land ....

Manuka was pumping, dew was selling for $14/kg , but there was murmurings in the ranks that all Manuka was not Manuka. The government started to muscle in and  mention that dirty word "Regulation". Bee companies sprung up all over the place and competition for sights become fierce.

We had joined party and rattled a few nerves as we formed JV's and started shipping bees North.

Those days started to teeter about four years ago. Crops started to diminish due to climate, overstocking and not enough Trained Brains looking into our  beehives.

We were riding a high expense roller coaster and it only took a couple of slim years to knock the shine off it. We got nervous. I like to think we  pulled out. In reality we got forced out by market forces and corporate wheeling and dealings.

The rest is history really.  Our honey buyer is a  business man and rightly so chased the margins in manuka ... paying the same shipping and handling charges on a product that was worth ten times the price of  the honey that went on our toast.

The Market was crying out for Manuka. The producers of cheap honey from other parts of the globe filled the vacuum left by  New Zealand's other honeys and overnight the phone went dead.

So when our longtime buyer walked into the yard un announced the other weekend I thought the market might be on the up.

The buyer was on his way home, having Tiki Toured the country on his fishing trip. He was selective about what he was looking for ....and was shocked when we said we probably would'nt be making honey next year  unless things changed radically in the next month....  why would you with two years of crop in the shed and no money to build a new one ? 

He promised to visit next year. We shook hands. I told him not to leave his cheque book behind .... next year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jamesc said:

He promised to visit next year. We shook hands. I told him not to leave his cheque book behind .... next year

he has always got his C book, its just the pen he's using, it only rights smaller numbers than it use to. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1