I reduced access on my hive doctor bases to minimum on the centre disc a few weeks ago to minimise robbing but I have noticed lately that the girls are queuing up to get in and out. they seem to manage eventually so the question is should I increase access now there are fewer wasps and robber bees or leave as is for the winter.

pics are from mid afternoon today.P1010928.jpg.de6cdadcd4bfea2d344560d3828c9907.jpgP1010930.jpg.1611a73c81d35efdff111463d757c21b.jpg

• Like 2

I’d leave them as is . It won’t do any harm 

Mine were overly active in 22 celcius sun today too . 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with Matt that with this warm weather this is very likely to happen. Are you using a new or older type Hivedoc base? Up until now reducing the entrance size has been the best option to reduce robbing but comes with the consequences that entry is restricted as you see in yours. If you fit a HiveGate you will mitigate a lot of this problem and as your hive is fairly strong you could always add two. This is easier to do on the new type hive doctor base. With the HiveGate you still have a relatively large opening but the delivery of the bees to the inside is to the cluster rather than to poorly defended void spaces. Sean

IMG_7762.JPG

That looks quite promising @SeanMonica I have checked the site and watched the video, I have HD smart bases but presume your product will fit these.

Anyone tried these or got any feedback?

It is more than promising @DuncanCook. The photo shows a HD smart base. We have only recently launched the product, there are a couple of testimonials on the website, they are relatively well known people you are welcome to contact them. We are working on getting more. It will fix your problem. 

Two of my three hives are at pretty much the same level as regards numbers and distribution of bees, I have placed a hive gate in one and kept the other as control.

Obviously not enough for a definitive test but will be interesting nevertheless, the girls took to the hive gate with no hesitation and it certainly cleared the backlog more quickly.

As an aside the staples which have been in place since 5th March are still looking ok and although I didn't do a wash there were no obvious signs of varroa problems.P1010944.jpg.a394917c59e3c80038ceb2aa016fca1b.jpgP1010943.jpg.536df6b62e6577c63b2cb2219653403c.jpgP1010946.jpg.9edaa06342db48d0aeebd60e030dbc41.jpg

The gate seemed secure enough and I have no plans to move the hive so I didn't bother to fix it in place

1 hour ago, DuncanCook said:

Two of my three hives are at pretty much the same level as regards numbers and distribution of bees, I have placed a hive gate in one and kept the other as control.

Obviously not enough for a definitive test but will be interesting nevertheless, the girls took to the hive gate with no hesitation and it certainly cleared the backlog more quickly.

As an aside the staples which have been in place since 5th March are still looking ok and although I didn't do a wash there were no obvious signs of varroa problems.P1010944.jpg.a394917c59e3c80038ceb2aa016fca1b.jpgP1010943.jpg.536df6b62e6577c63b2cb2219653403c.jpgP1010946.jpg.9edaa06342db48d0aeebd60e030dbc41.jpg

The gate seemed secure enough and I have no plans to move the hive so I didn't bother to fix it in place

Those bee numbers are really low. Like really really low. 

If there is any brood, those Staples need moving into it. They are too far away from the cluster to be working 

• Good Info 1

Thanks for the response M4tt, I thought maybe I should move the staples but it would have meant really forcing them in'

The picture is of the bottom box, top one has far more bees and the remainder seem to be in the process of moving up. They did the same last year and once the majority were up there I took away bottom box and did the rest of winter on single box it seemed to work although I have only my own 3 hives and very limited experience to draw on.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

Thanks for the response M4tt, I thought maybe I should move the staples but it would have meant really forcing them in'

The picture is of the bottom box, top one has far more bees and the remainder seem to be in the process of moving up. They did the same last year and once the majority were up there I took away bottom box and did the rest of winter on single box it seemed to work although I have only my own 3 hives and very limited experience to draw on.

All good . 

My assumption that they were singles was incorrect .....

As you were 😉

3 hours ago, DuncanCook said:

Appreciate the feedback @DuncanCook. I don't move my hives around either so my HiveGates are also not screwed down. The performance of HiveGate will be 100% as long as you have enough bees to be able to defend themselves and based on those photos, you have plenty for that function. Did you also not find that it was really easy to install and use? Once you have full confidence and install on more of your hives, you will gain that peace of mind that the HiveGate is working for you 24/7 :) Regards Sean

Yes very easy to install and fits perfectly, I have a spare HD Smartboard so was able to do a dry run first and I was fairly confident when it came to the actual installation, bees took to it straight away and are using it quite happily. No robbing anyway at the moment so will have to wait to comment on that aspect.

Thanks for your prompt response to my order @SeanMonica

I used the pliers you see in the photo to squeeze the lugs at the bottom of the red disc and it popped out easily

• Agree 1