Heather

Document Hive doctor base with freshly drawn comb underneath

Checked my hives today and removed varroa treatment.  One  hive with a hive doctor base has started drawing wax underneath the base. The wax is growing downwards and is going into the pallet the hive is on. Checked the hive and  its healthy and  has fresh brood. Any one seen this before?  Any suggestions on what to do with the hive? If I transfer the hive to a new base and scrape the bees and drawn comb into an empty super on the existing hive? The bees will probably travel down the hive leave and start all over again. Transfer hive to new base , scrape drawn comb and bees to empty box and  combine with a weak hive. Actually any suggestion would be helpful.

1 hour ago, Heather said:

Checked my hives today and removed varroa treatment.  One  hive with a hive doctor base has started drawing wax underneath the base. The wax is growing downwards and is going into the pallet the hive is on. Checked the hive and  its healthy and  has fresh brood. Any one seen this before?  Any suggestions on what to do with the hive? If I transfer the hive to a new base and scrape the bees and drawn comb into an empty super on the existing hive? The bees will probably travel down the hive leave and start all over again. Transfer hive to new base , scrape drawn comb and bees to empty box and  combine with a weak hive. Actually any suggestion would be helpful.

My HD boxes started to leak too.

I screwed mesh over the vents .

i've heard of, but not seen myself, swarms settling under a base or the queen somehow ending up there, and comb being drawn under the base. Any chance of that in this situation?

Yep. I’ve had it happen a couple of times. One time there was a queen and the Other  time it was a continuation of the comb from inside the hive. Did you have brood below the base ?? If not just break the comb up and put it in a top feeder for the bees to clean up.

if there is brood it’s most likely a seperate queen, I’d merge her with a weak hive. 

1 hour ago, nikki watts said:

Yep. I’ve had it happen a couple of times. One time there was a queen and the Other  time it was a continuation of the comb from inside the hive. Did you have brood below the base ?? If not just break the comb up and put it in a top feeder for the bees to clean up.

if there is brood it’s most likely a seperate queen, I’d merge her with a weak hive. 

One of my bases had such a big gap in the vents that a queen could have slipped down but never get back up .

The hive would probably make another queen .

• Agree 1

We have had a few doing this and 99% of the time its an old queen that has attempted to swarm but has its wings chewed off so cant fly and ends up walking under the hive. I recommend getting rid of comb/brood under the the hive as it will potentially have high varroa levels and will re-infest the parent hive. The gaps in the base should be around 3mm so if you have bees getting through it may be time to get rid of old comb as the bees are getting too small but gaps in the base can buckle and get wider if the small tabs that hold the vents together.

On 7/05/2019 at 7:08 PM, Heather said:

I have seen this before we just change the base, scrape wax off in front of hive hope this helps

I’ve seen it with a hive that had a dud queen and varroa. The hive died and the bees all went to a hive next door, they didn’t all fit and made comb under the pallet.

• Good Info 1

hd bases are ***** happens all the time with them, scrape all the wax off into a frame feeder put that back into the hive with a new base sorted :) .