Alastair

Whole Apiary Broodless in Auckland

The principle of the idea is good, and in fact i tried to organise such an approach quite a few years ago.

The reality was that beekeepers are just too individualistic. There will always be a big enough percentage who for whatever reason, do not see the need to play ball.

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Alastair said:

The principle of the idea is good, and in fact i tried to organise such an approach quite a few years ago.

The reality was that beekeepers are just too individualistic. There will always be a big enough percentage who for whatever reason, do not see the need to play ball.

This is a good point however if you spoke with as many Beeks as I do and saw how much money they spend doing the Autumn job of treating twice or more then you would likely see the dire need that is out there.
This is a primary industry that is being slaughtered by re invading Autumn Mites

The norm now is three treatments per season and it wasnt that long ago that 3 treatments per season was just an idea that may eventuate at some time soon.
Well soon is here and Im picking that very shortly some of these medium sized operations that are spending 50k plus a season battling re invading Mites are going to say to the Minister "Look, enough is enough".

23 minutes ago, Philbee said:

going to say to the Minister "Look, enough is enough".

And then what ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

And then what ?

Hatch a dastardly plan

Gosh yes, here's  Dastardly working on it !

Dastardly.jpg.065e1250fd0db74eb623ca7ad3ac7b9b.jpg

• Haha 2

On 13/05/2019 at 8:20 PM, Alastair said:

Apivar.

But. Before blaming Apivar, i found I made a mistake. Before starting the yard, I put the strips on the hive lids, to make sure i didn't miss any hives. Did this at most of the sites. 

As we all know, it was a super hot summer. Lids were often so hot you couldn't leave your hand on them, but foolishly i didn't think that mattered.

Anyhow go back later, and some hives it didn't work, some hives it partially worked. So i called the vendors NZ beeswax, and they think it could be related to exposing the strips to heat.

They may be right, i don't know. But for now, it would be unfair of me to blame the strips. I'll be keeping the strips cool from now on, lesson learned.

Wow, I always tell the bro to make sure to even keep them out of sunlight 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1