Jump to content
Alastair

Whole Apiary Broodless in Auckland

Recommended Posts

Same here, no brood, however I will have to top up with syrup so it will do the kick start to the queen for sure.

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/05/2019 at 9:10 PM, cBank said:

 

Probably the one bit of wooden gear that irritates me is a running cost of buying more foundation. Meanwhile I have a little pile of wax that is slowly banking up. I need to make foundation I guess but it doesn’t seem easy.

If you send the cleaned wax to NZ Beeswax - preferably with several other hobby beeks, you can just pay the processing on foundation. Even before I started to do this, I bought 15 kg cartons from them, and found no trouble finding others who would buy any surplus. By sending wax, the finished product comes down to about $7/kg, as against nearly $30.

  • Like 3
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2019 at 9:20 PM, Kiwi Bee said:

Same here, no brood, however I will have to top up with syrup so it will do the kick start to the queen for sure.

I checked a site and same thing in the winter less north, no brood. So I done an alc was and turned 51mites from 480 nurse bees so just over 10% mite infester

  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got mite issues also Maru, what was your treatment method, and when was it done?

Edited by Alastair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I got mite issues also Maru, what was your treatment method, and when was it done?

What did you use Alastair ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Apivar.

 

But. Before blaming Apivar, i found I made a mistake. Before starting the yard, I put the strips on the hive lids, to make sure i didn't miss any hives. Did this at most of the sites. 

 

As we all know, it was a super hot summer. Lids were often so hot you couldn't leave your hand on them, but foolishly i didn't think that mattered.

 

Anyhow go back later, and some hives it didn't work, some hives it partially worked. So i called the vendors NZ beeswax, and they think it could be related to exposing the strips to heat.

 

They may be right, i don't know. But for now, it would be unfair of me to blame the strips. I'll be keeping the strips cool from now on, lesson learned.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Apivar.

 

But. Before blaming Apivar, i found I made a mistake. Before starting the yard, I put the strips on the hive lids, to make sure i didn't miss any hives. Did this at most of the sites. 

 

As we all know, it was a super hot summer. Lids were often so hot you couldn't leave your hand on them, but foolishly i didn't think that mattered.

 

Anyhow go back later, and some hives it didn't work, some hives it partially worked. So i called the vendors NZ beeswax, and they think it could be related to exposing the strips to heat.

 

They may be right, i don't know. But for now, it would be unfair of me to blame the strips. I'll be keeping the strips cool from now on, lesson learned.

Hmmm..........

 

No, I think there is more to it than that .

The first year here it worked a treat , then was far less than satisfactory in year two and three and I never put it on hive lids 

  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is alot more mites around than in previous years, treatments just need to be followed up with more treatments.

Mites are just entering hives and re-establishing to regulary not to be treating less than 4 times a year with synthetics

 Seems to be how it is in my neck of the woods.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm certainly hearing a lot more complaints about mites this year, for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cBank and @ctm just go completely foundationless. It will save a lot of time over making smooth foundation. During a flow or feeding light syrup they will build comb regardless. However, you will get lots of drone comb built with both methods. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I'm certainly hearing a lot more complaints about mites this year, for whatever reason.

A lot of poorly maintained hives, thats the reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As to that, what i can say is one apiary i went to around a month after placing treatment, was totally overun by mites and hives in urgent condition. This apiary is just a few hundred meters away from a forest where a corporate has put hundreds of hives, and a beekeeper friend of mine who runs through the forest, told me he noticed a large number of their hives had died.

 

However i can't blame all my problems on that because there are problems (to a lesser degree), at a good number of my sites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well well, you just described a similar scenario to the area i occupy, except i have at  few apiaries next to these so an so's.

They reduce there work load by not maintaining the health of there hives, but my work load increases.

when sping arrives they,ll replace their dead outs with live hives.

And so the cycle begins again. 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Alastair said:

I got mite issues also Maru, what was your treatment method, and when was it done?

I used bayvarol twice and apivar going into the flow with a bit of oxalic vapour to the bad mite sites aswel where I was loosing hives. I got my last small site to do today then off to check out one of my mite bomb sites. Staples have been put in with pest checking trays on for a few weeks now so I'll check the fall and do a alc wash on a average to strong hive and see how they're going. 

Edited by Maru Hoani
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We have used bayvarol and Apivar up till this season when we swapped to @Philbee staples.

we have never seen a problem with the effectiveness of either of the synthetics and treated with Apivar in spring and bayvarol in Autumn as per Mark Goodwin’s recommendation.

It makes me think it’s not resistance to these products you guys are seeing its other problems.

I think using bayvarol in Autumn is imperative to getting a good over winter survival and those using Apivar will be fighting a battle. 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats clear is that as long as there is a lack of effective regionally synchronized late Summer/ Autumn   treatments there will be these problems.
Having said this, current global events might go some way toward solving this issue for us as its becoming more and more likely we could see unprecedented events in the Markets.
 

As for synchronized regional treatments, these would best be coordinated by the various regional arms of an industry body.

Unfortunately we dont have one of those so even if we do escape the effects of  global chaos we with still have Mite chaos to deal with.
 

 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone translate, I,m not fluent in Phil.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Could someone translate, I,m not fluent in Phil.

Basically there is an overpopulation of hives in most areas

This leads to competition for forage and the spread of mites and other health issues from one Beekeeper's Hives to others.

If all the Hives in an area are treated at the same time then the issue of re invasion becomes less of a problem from the point of view of the Beek who has spent thousands of dollars early in a particular treatment period only to be re invaded by Mites  from a neighboring Beekeeper who might plan to treat a bit later .

My comments about the market relate to the fact that its highly likely the world economies just tipped into the beginnings of a significant slide which could negatively impact our industry, in which case over crowding will correct itself.
If we get through this period intact then the overcrowding and it's negative effects may still be an ongoing problem which will need to be addressed 

An industry body would be an ideal entity to consult on a system of coordinated  treatments.
Remember that even if the industry shrinks considerably, one day it will recover and the same old problems will arise again so it makes sense to implement systems while the industry is at a low ebb rather than Bullish

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all due respects @Philbee, are you actually prepared to be told what date you will put your treatments in, or will you say that you don't need to do it as you are a special case? That is the nub of the problem because so many think the same way - I know it should be done, but at the ABC,  several years ago, the then president of the club refused to even treat the hive they were managing in the club apiary with the same treatment on the same day as the rest of the hives - and that is how hobbyists are being instructed to act, and many past members have gone on to be commercials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

With all due respects @Philbee, are you actually prepared to be told what date you will put your treatments in, or will you say that you don't need to do it as you are a special case? That is the nub of the problem because so many think the same way - I know it should be done, but at the ABC,  several years ago, the then president of the club refused to even treat the hive they were managing in the club apiary with the same treatment on the same day as the rest of the hives - and that is how hobbyists are being instructed to act, and many past members have gone on to be commercials.

In both the Commercial and Hobbyist  sector there is an inclination to co operated when it comes to Mites.
So far that co operation has been limited to ideas and systems that work to combat Mites
With regard being told what date to treat I think thats taking the intent a bit far

Its in Beeks best interest to communicate with each other and its my belief that within a good framework they would do so in order to combat Mites and save themselves thousands if not teens of thousands of dollars in repeat treatments.

Once a system is in place and working it becomes much easier for participants to pressure  non conformers to toe the line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In  the crowded Greater Auckland area, unless all are on the same page, it will do little to dent the re-infestation. Personally I try and leave my own treatments a bit later to deal to the high level of re-infestation.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contrary to what seems to be the norm, my mite count this year has been worryingly low, all year.

The Ad- "Dont trust 'em boss!", has been at the back of my mind for most of the year.

After yet another OAV, mite count after 24hours is...again, 2.....I check every day and clear the boards after every four days, when I do it all over again.

 

After almost losing my hive last spring, I have been vigilent to the point of paranoia, recognising that organic treatments my need to be done more frequently to stay on top of things.

I would like to say it is because I have partially regressed my hive down to small cell, but they only have 5 shaved down frames out of 15 in the brood area, so that doesnt work.

As I said somewhere earlier- they have been a puzzle all year.

I simply watch and learn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mischief said:

Contrary to what seems to be the norm, my mite count this year has been worryingly low, all year.

The Ad- "Dont trust 'em boss!", has been at the back of my mind for most of the year.

After yet another OAV, mite count after 24hours is...again, 2.....I check every day and clear the boards after every four days, when I do it all over again.

 

After almost losing my hive last spring, I have been vigilent to the point of paranoia, recognising that organic treatments my need to be done more frequently to stay on top of things.

I would like to say it is because I have partially regressed my hive down to small cell, but they only have 5 shaved down frames out of 15 in the brood area, so that doesnt work.

As I said somewhere earlier- they have been a puzzle all year.

I simply watch and learn.

Im not sure that a 2 mite drop is the same as a 2 mite wash.
Dont trust em Boss

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Synchronised treatment on a grand scale will only work if the treatment works , and with unusual treatment methods ( lack of money , half dosing , incorrect placement etc) and product failure in the mix ( discussion about what works and what doesn’t , and arguments about if and when a hive needs treatment, organic versus chemicals  ) that’s a lot of bottles to line up in a row . It just is not possible 

Edited by M4tt
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, M4tt said:

Synchronised treatment on a grand scale will only work if the treatment works , and with unusual treatment methods ( lack of money , half dosing , incorrect placement etc) and product failure in the mix ( discussion about what works and what doesn’t , and arguments about if and when a hive needs treatment, organic versus chemicals  ) that’s a lot of bottles to line up in a row . It just is not possible 

Treatments dont need to be exactly coordinated, a general inclination to work in with neighbors would improve things no end.
It just a matter of getting on the same page.
One thing is for sure the current situation is unsustainable 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...