Ahudot

NZBF Both boxes chocka with honey

When I took the honey super off before putting strips in there was plenty of room in the remaining two boxes, took the strips out today and put the feeder back on for winter but they are absolutely chocka with honey, should I take some combs out to return to them later, put a super back on, or trust that now they have filled the available space they will simmer down? there is a small patch of brood on each of two combs, surrounded by honey. The entrance is about 30mm and they are dealing very ably with wasps and robbers.

• Like 1

The answer to your question really depends on what you're bees do over the winter. Most hives get nothing and I would be very happy to shut them all down chocka but if you live in a urban environment with lots of flowering gum trees then you might be better off to give them some room. I personally don't go near my hives from now until mid August. Unless they are getting a serious honey flow I would leave them strictly alone. Always remember that winter bees have to last all winter and disturbing them doesn't help them,  as well is that if you accidentally kill a queen at this time of year, it's all over for the hive. I would rather  put an extra box on top than mess with the brood boxes if extra room is necessary.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2