CHCHPaul

May 2019 Apiary Diary

53 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

8 found it's better to measure each one and go over with a planer prior to assembly, some boxes come 5mm bigger

Went to feed a site today then I go to turn the Honda pump motor off and find this up against the exhaust then Im like Faaaaaxxxxxk how dum can you be, common sense isn't always so common

IMG_20190530_120050-2340x3120.jpg

Uh Huh .... working the bees 'aint for the faint hearted ..... I got seven dead leaf blowers sitting on the shelf, but they won't fix your problem. Just saying !

3 hours ago, dansar said:

Yes I have. Also Cryptomeria (Japanese Cedar). 

What about blackwood .

Do you think it would be too heavy .?

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

What about blackwood .

Do you think it would be too heavy .?

I’ve got some western red cedar and they’re beautiful, straight and light. But expensive. Made a few from nz grown cedar and they are ok too, but again, expensive. I have finished all of these with oil so they do look good 😝

I’m trying douglas fur atm and I like it, but it’s heavy. Anyone else tried this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

I’ve got some western red cedar and they’re beautiful, straight and light. But expensive. Made a few from nz grown cedar and they are ok too, but again, expensive. I have finished all of these with oil so they do look good 😝

I’m trying douglas fur atm and I like it, but it’s heavy. Anyone else tried this?

At the back of my mind , When ever I think about getting some fancy durable boxes made is the fact that I may have to burn them .

So I stick to cheap disposable boxes I will not get attached too .

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

At the back of my mind , When ever I think about getting some fancy durable boxes made is the fact that I may have to burn them .

So I stick to cheap disposable boxes I will not get attached too .

Agreed. But I really like beautiful  bee hives. Douglas Fir looks really good when oiled and is cheap as chips. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, john berry said:

Making boxes with a tolerance of .1 millimetre is not that hard and I would drop and have dropped suppliers who couldn't meet my standards. You shouldn't have too trim boxes. The one exception to this is buying wet tan E boxes which can be cheaper but they do need resizing because they shrink at different rates.

Point one of a millimetre is pretty tight tolerance !! Glad I'm not selling you anything !

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, jamesc said:

Uh Huh .... working the bees 'aint for the faint hearted ..... I got seven dead leaf blowers sitting on the shelf, but they won't fix your problem. Just saying !

whats the make and module ?

My main saw bench was originally powered by steam and it can work to those sort of tolerances so I don't see why modern machinery can't. I don't mind so much if boxes are a mil or two bigger than they are supposed to be but at the very least they should all be the same measurement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevin moore said:

whats the make and module ?

send you some photos tomoro

The old house is quiet tonight.

The rain pounds down.

The grog is chilling in the fridge,

And sweet Jesus, no offense Bro.....But outside the temperature has  chilled and the Barometer  has dropped to less than 950 

My instinct tells me to batten down the hatches' as  fast weather from the South East is never nice.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2019 at 8:01 AM, CHCHPaul said:

I made my first boxes out of doulgas fir, but painted them, and so far done 10 years, glued with exterior PVA, 7 galv nails/corner, and still as good to go. Perfectly happy - the douglas fir was very dry and well seasoned.

• Like 1

7BCA9D90-4234-47E7-B3AE-0C3CF35972F5.jpeg

57FF11A9-ACEE-4D2A-94D5-30F9608B8F6F.jpeg

Like that old bard Mr Shakespeare wrote ....'He who ambition doth shun, and loves to live in the sun, pleased with what he geets, shall know no enemy save winter and rough weather.'

• Like 5
  • Chill Out 1

12 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

That looks so lovely !

Remember a few yrs ago when tasman got snow .

A very pitiful amount , not useful or beautiful like at @jamesc.

After the storm

409BBC85-0FE8-4F25-A335-5E34D70D6D3C.jpeg

• Like 16

😀

On 30/05/2019 at 6:00 PM, CHCHPaul said:

@Kiwi Bee how do you trim the boxes down after you have put them together?

On a table saw.

On 30/05/2019 at 7:31 PM, john berry said:

Making boxes with a tolerance of .1 millimetre is not that hard and I would drop and have dropped suppliers who couldn't meet my standards. You shouldn't have too trim boxes. The one exception to this is buying wet tan E boxes which can be cheaper but they do need resizing because they shrink at different rates.

I got commercial grade boxes from Ceracell and Ecrotek too over the years and I had the same problem. I am not "Cindarella" to select and pair the sides for each box. The main problem is that always at least one side is not the same size with the rest of them. It is like they made them on a different machine or.................?????? The only one time I got top quality flat pack boxes from Kiwimana and they had all sides the same size - beautiful boxes(it was the time when you had to subscribe one month or more in advance at Cera or  Ecro). The price was higher but I needed the boxes and they were top quality. In the end of the day I still trimmed the boxes to 239mm. I made a jig  with clamps to assemble two boxes at the same time. I assemble them up side down to have the top rim level and I use exterior PVA glue. I also made a jig for drilling four holes(2.5mm) per corner and it makes my job easier and faster. Then four screws 8gx50mm per corner and all done. Next is trimming. I paint the edges too with 2-3 layers of fence paint. I got a paraffin deeper few years ago but shortly after that a house in the neighborhood burned down on Christmas night(apparently it was a lab). Seeing those flames I ditched the plan to fire up my deeper in the 5mx5m backyard(townhouse :) ).

• Like 3