CHCHPaul

May 2019 Apiary Diary

Does anybody use glue for the corners? I do and I use screws too. My homemade jig can handle two boxes at a time.

The only time consuming operation I consider is the trimming after the boxes are put together(I like the boxes at 239mm high).

Maybe from now on the gear manufacturers will not have so huge orders and they may pay more attention to the quality just to stay in the top market.

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Does anybody use glue for the corners? I do and I use screws too. My homemade jig can handle two boxes at a time.

The only time consuming operation I consider is the trimming after the boxes are put together(I like the boxes at 239mm high).

Maybe from now on the gear manufacturers will not have so huge orders and they may pay more attention to the quality just to stay in the top market.

We over here glue boxes ( The Box Wood Joint) along with zinc screws. I also other wooden hardware ( mnucs, feeders, bottom boards) glue ( pattex waterproof) beside using screws. But lately have little time and need for making hardware..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I use gorilla glue and staples for mine.

10 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Does anybody use glue for the corners? 

Always👍😊

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Yep. Woodbond and staples. The odd one the front face warps and pulls the staples but so few it’s not a big  issue. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Yep. Woodbond and staples. The odd one the front face warps and pulls the staples but so few it’s not a big  issue. 

Put staples in the side also and the end will not warp.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

If making your own boxes from scrape, get @dansar to explain which way the grain needs to go inside/outside to minimalise the lifting top and bottom.

Posted (edited)

I don't see the point in using glue ..... it's just another job for starters ,and 50 mm staples hold em tight, and as John B says the important ataples are the three that go in on each side.

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I use gorilla glue and staples for mine.

gorilla grip eh... need competence.. there i was, on saturday, making up a few boxes. Inside, no gloves, got a bit of glue on my hands... no worries... at some point i wiped my nose/face... again, no worries, until i woke up next morning... at least the red blotches on my nose are now more itchy than sore, and cortisone cream seems to be helping.

some people shouldn't be allowed near power tools or industrial glues/solvents...

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

gorilla grip eh... need competence.. there i was, on saturday, making up a few boxes. Inside, no gloves, got a bit of glue on my hands... no worries... at some point i wiped my nose/face... again, no worries, until i woke up next morning... at least the red blotches on my nose are now more itchy than sore, and cortisone cream seems to be helping.

some people shouldn't be allowed near power tools or industrial glues/solvents...

And here I was thinking you were the local expert.  Tui Ad. here

• Haha 1

Just now, Trevor Gillbanks said:

And here I was thinking you were the local expert.  Tui Ad. here

i hoped everyone knew that i'm far from expert :)

context:

1. i'm some guy who does his best to admin some beekeeping page due to some sort of coincidence of timing.
  2. I run a few hives, but have yet to reach a decade of experience.
  3. my hives tend to survive and produce a honey surplus, mostly due to keeping things very simple on the varroa treatment and inspection fronts.
  4. I could probably sell tickets to builder mates for them to watch, as a comedy show, me on the tools - instead they simply turn up for beer and proffer advice too late ;) unless i ask for help, in which case it all goes really well.

i do what i can. Far from expert at anything.

• Haha 1

I have never glued boxes but I did do some experimenting with gluing wooden frames and they seemed really good for a while and then the glue just seem to fail and they fell to bits.

Donkeys years ago when we first got stable guns we use them to put together tantalised bottom boards and they were really quick and easy. Unfortunately the tantalising ate the staples within two or three years and they literally fell to pieces. I do have a nail gun but it is  old and really hard to get nails for so for the few I make these days I just use Galv nails and my leather handled eastwing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, john berry said:

I have never glued boxes but I did do some experimenting with gluing wooden frames and they seemed really good for a while and then the glue just seem to fail and they fell to bits.

Donkeys years ago when we first got stable guns we use them to put together tantalised bottom boards and they were really quick and easy. Unfortunately the tantalising ate the staples within two or three years and they literally fell to pieces. I do have a nail gun but it is  old and really hard to get nails for so for the few I make these days I just use Galv nails and my leather handled eastwing.

I don't need anymore boxes !

• Agree 1

Has anyone used Redwood for boxes.?

46 minutes ago, john berry said:

I had some an older beekeeper had made, they were very light and lasted just as well as the pine ones, he had used skinny side timber on them so they were not standard size. 

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I don't need anymore boxes !

Same, I only buy 60 odd boxes a year to replace rotting gear, supers are stacked to the door in my shed

23 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

239mm is a good number.
As for consistency of width I think some timbers move more than others after being gauged  which can cause this variation.

10 hours ago, john berry said:

I firewooded a few old redwoods recently.  The last we built from milled boards 20 odd years ago.  Very light wood, which has a strong tendency to break, especially along the top frame rebate. Fine if you're careful. Loose knots will fall out.  Rot resistant- none of the hundreds built rotted. . Excellent wood to axe into kindling.  

A nice aroma when run through machines. 

I have about 600m to cut through today, all FD and I overhauled the table saw last month, new bearings, brushes and a clean out so the saw will be in fine form.

21 hours ago, john berry said:

Yes I have. Also Cryptomeria (Japanese Cedar). 

@Kiwi Bee how do you trim the boxes down after you have put them together?

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

@Kiwi Bee how do you trim the boxes down after you have put them together?

8 found it's better to measure each one and go over with a planer prior to assembly, some boxes come 5mm bigger

Went to feed a site today then I go to turn the Honda pump motor off and find this up against the exhaust then Im like Faaaaaxxxxxk how dum can you be, common sense isn't always so common

IMG_20190530_120050-2340x3120.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Making boxes with a tolerance of .1 millimetre is not that hard and I would drop and have dropped suppliers who couldn't meet my standards. You shouldn't have too trim boxes. The one exception to this is buying wet tan E boxes which can be cheaper but they do need resizing because they shrink at different rates.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, john berry said:

Making boxes with a tolerance of .1 millimetre is not that hard and I would drop and have dropped suppliers who couldn't meet my standards. You shouldn't have too trim boxes. The one exception to this is buying wet tan E boxes which can be cheaper but they do need resizing because they shrink at different rates.

That's ceracell down then