CHCHPaul

May 2019 Apiary Diary

Excellent advice regarding the sheep . 

We graze our property rather than own the animals ourselves. Gives us clean paddocks and homekill meat which is great. No money changes hands . 

Andrew and Wendy from backyard bees could be an option if they have to have a hive they are probably in the area already.

although it costs money to have the hive on your property you get 10kg of honey which at supermarket prices would just about pay you back for the hire anyway.

you also get a hive that’s looked after properly which is the most important thing. 

Theres a few orchards in Redwoods valley and I’ve seen plenty of bee hives tucked  here and there I wouldn’t be concerned about lack of bees for garden pollination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kaihoka said:

If he wanted bees for the orchard I am sure there will be plenty around .

The family have been living in an apartment in Melbourne .

They now want sheep, chooks , rabbits , bees  vege garden etc.

I am Going to talk him out of getting a hive .

Maybe he will understand to You say to him, that all what he listed need a servant not a master.. 

• Like 3

On 26/05/2019 at 1:21 PM, john berry said:

Staples are just so much quicker, the mistake a lot of new beekeepers make is to just nail, staple et cetera the ends on. Staples in the end hold the end on but it is the side staples that give the box most of its strength. I use a fairly heavy duty staple and have plenty of boxes over 40 years old that are still going strong. Occasionally after 20 or so years of use they get a few extra side staples just to tighten them up.

john what size staples do you use ?

1 hour ago, kevin moore said:

john what size staples do you use ?

I used 38mm x 15 gauge, Galv coated.

Expensive, but very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Expensive was the first 15,000 stainless steel  square drive screws I used on my first gear, spent thousands. The galv 15guage staples are cheap as I bought 5000 for like 200$ 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Expensive was the first 15,000 stainless steel  square drive screws I used on my first gear, spent thousands. The galv 15guage staples are cheap as I bought 5000 for like 200$ 

Even the yellow zinc 8gx50mm square drives last for years

A few years ago I posted a photo of the ultimate clampless jig for box making which made screwing them really quick

Edited by Philbee
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

decent price, that's a few boxes worth.

I was under the impression that you were buying boxes assembled from ecrotek?

i'm debating what to do for the next pile of boxes i need, not heaps, a few hundred at most - your thoughts?

also, cos it's may diary. I went into my home hives last week and got weak so varroa treated. These are strong urban hives last varroa treated in spring with bayvarol. Anyway, haven't treated since and booming. Went into them and did the late autumn/early winter honey pull, then got nervous and chucked in some strips.... meh, given that two thirds of the hives are on brood breaks that was a paranoia too far. Whatever, will maybe keep the faith harder next year.

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Yes, it is all relative.

I was using SS staples at one stage.  They were very expensive.  I did not bother to go down the screws route. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

3 hours ago, tommy dave said:

decent price, that's a few boxes worth.

I was under the impression that you were buying boxes assembled from ecrotek?

i'm debating what to do for the next pile of boxes i need, not heaps, a few hundred at most - your thoughts?

also, cos it's may diary. I went into my home hives last week and got weak so varroa treated. These are strong urban hives last varroa treated in spring with bayvarol. Anyway, haven't treated since and booming. Went into them and did the late autumn/early winter honey pull, then got nervous and chucked in some strips.... meh, given that two thirds of the hives are on brood breaks that was a paranoia too far. Whatever, will maybe keep the faith harder next year.

I use those ecrotek ones now because there assembled, parraffin wax dipped and painted, my mate gave me his senco gun to borrow and I ordered 50mm staples online, that's what I put my last 300 boxes together and it was done in 3 easy days

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

A few years ago I posted a photo of the ultimate clampless jig for box making which made screwing them really quick

Morena Philbee,hey just asking if you have a copy of that handy ? I did a search  and found the post of a youtube vid,which im guessing is your jig in action but it said video no longer available.

Much appreciated if you can help.

4 hours ago, Phil46 said:

Morena Philbee,hey just asking if you have a copy of that handy ? I did a search  and found the post of a youtube vid,which im guessing is your jig in action but it said video no longer available.

Much appreciated if you can help.

Box jig.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

Eighty years of carbon off for recycling

AD2FF523-AE98-4CBC-882D-B658043BF92E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FS 180/63 Galv Is what is written on the box but I have no idea what it actually means. Back in the day when we were making thousands of boxes every year I used to use 2 inch Q series staples on the end and 2 1/2 inch staples on the sides. My stable gun is an old senco. I used to have two but one has been cannibalised for parts . It has to be over 40 years old. A lot of the modern guns I have seen use lighter gauge  staples which are not as strong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Eighty years of carbon off for recycling

AD2FF523-AE98-4CBC-882D-B658043BF92E.jpeg

Is that macrocarpa .

My favourite timber .

What will you do with it .? 

On 27/05/2019 at 5:38 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

thanks, now whats a good cheap stapler ?

• Agree 1

These are the box jigs we use at work, we had one on display at the conference last year, 

work boxes are screwed with stainless on all faces.. 

my own boxes I prefer the speed /cost of 50mm staples and use a great jig that enables 3sides staples in one movement, loosen the jack spin the box and staple the other end, I shoot 28 into each box, strong enough for me and my “after hours” workload. 

486C25BE-31E8-4385-9417-ACCBB383850C.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

These are the box jigs we use at work, we had one on display at the conference last year, 

work boxes are screwed with stainless on all faces.. 

my own boxes I prefer the speed /cost of 50mm staples and use a great jig that enables 3sides staples in one movement, loosen the jack spin the box and staple the other end, I shoot 28 into each box, strong enough for me and my “after hours” workload. 

486C25BE-31E8-4385-9417-ACCBB383850C.png

yes liked the look of those, so took heaps of photos-now cant find them !

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is that macrocarpa .

My favourite timber .

What will you do with it .? 

that makes great honey boxes, dont have to do any thing with them

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Philbee said:

I went up a step and used galv and plated screws for my own gear but when I was working for a commercial outfit I probly used 12,000 zinc and the old gear in the field was all zinc 

Aah ,,, the Macro ..... I love Macro .... the Possums love it too  as there were a couple of residents in the tree as it hit the dirt. They were still there the next morning ..... Two Moons ....

We've used it for the Kitchen and paneling in the hall, but this load is destined for a very boring future ..... cattle yard rails.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, john berry said:

FS 180/63 Galv Is what is written on the box but I have no idea what it actually means. Back in the day when we were making thousands of boxes every year I used to use 2 inch Q series staples on the end and 2 1/2 inch staples on the sides. My stable gun is an old senco. I used to have two but one has been cannibalised for parts . It has to be over 40 years old. A lot of the modern guns I have seen use lighter gauge  staples which are not as strong.

I used Senco and they are mean, the box of 5000 50mm staples is in red black and blue with made in America on it

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Aah ,,, the Macro ..... I love Macro .... the Possums love it too  as there were a couple of residents in the tree as it hit the dirt. They were still there the next morning ..... Two Moons ....

We've used it for the Kitchen and paneling in the hall, but this load is destined for a very boring future ..... cattle yard rails.

I used mac on my first 50 bottom boards with stainless steel screws and they're still out in the field 10 years later without painting. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

thanks, now whats a good cheap stapler ?

That is an oxymoron. You either get good air tools or you get cheap air tools.  Never both cheap and good.

Buy quality and it will last forever. And you can repair the quality air tools.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I used Senco and they are mean, the box of 5000 50mm staples is in red black and blue with made in America on it

I used mac on my first 50 bottom boards with stainless steel screws and they're still out in the field 10 years later without painting. 

Ha ha ..... I thought of using it for bottom boards ...  I would love to use it as bottom boards ...... I just gotta get that Honey Dew labelled as MGO 45  .....

When I started beekeeping most of the floors were made with totora and then dipped in hot tar. It's a job I never did myself but I do remember my grandfather, father and uncles doing the job. You had to air them out for a long time before using them but they lasted for years and then made really good firewood at the end of their lives. Some beekeepers even used to dip their boxes in tar and I had some for years and you could still smell it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john berry said:

When I started beekeeping most of the floors were made with totora and then dipped in hot tar. It's a job I never did myself but I do remember my grandfather, father and uncles doing the job. You had to air them out for a long time before using them but they lasted for years and then made really good firewood at the end of their lives. Some beekeepers even used to dip their boxes in tar and I had some for years and you could still smell it. 

I have some bottom boards dipped in paraffin ( higher quality paraffin), excellent. Even I used sheet of scrap plywood from pallets for bottom, it holds superbly.. For bottom boards excellent solution as prolong its life, even of low quality wood/plywood..

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Goran said:

I have some bottom boards dipped in paraffin ( higher quality paraffin), excellent. Even I used sheet of scrap plywood from pallets for bottom, it holds superbly.. For bottom boards excellent solution as prolong its life, even of low quality wood/plywood..

They'll probly out last you now

2 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

They'll probly out last you now

I bought some ancient hives probly over 30 years old off a guy named Bruce Miller from Hallensville when I started, heaps were just painted tanalised timber some not and some had aluminium covering the bottoms and the boxes were some sort of gum. There are still some boxes out in the field today, they just been re screwed and painted. 

• Like 2