Jump to content
CHCHPaul

May 2019 Apiary Diary

Recommended Posts

Just now, jamesc said:

 The tin belongs to a couple in Sheffield and is sitting in the shop They left it for me to fill  .....he's a naturopath and when I commented that the dog had a sore back he offered to straighten it ... which he must have done as Dog is a pain in the butt again.   I said he should take the honey for nothing. He has'nt picked it up yet.  I'll ask !

Marty will flip out if he’s able to obtain said tin ... I have an old pure nz honey tin (green and red) in top condition that I’m willing to give as a replacement.. plus whatever the naturopath wants he will get.. including Marty’s body parts if he so desires.. 

thanks James.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the bees just don't stop 🙃🙃🙃🤙

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Stoney said:

Marty will flip out if he’s able to obtain said tin ... I have an old pure nz honey tin (green and red) in top condition that I’m willing to give as a replacement.. plus whatever the naturopath wants he will get.. including Marty’s body parts if he so desires.. 

thanks James.. 

The devil went down to Georgia .....

The devil went down to Georgia,

looking for a soul to steal,

The tin is yours 

The honey ours

Savour the flavour of a settled deal .....  or something ljke that !

Edited by jamesc
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

 

The tin is yours 

The honey ours

Savour the flavour of a settled deal .....  or something ljke that !

Mate! Do I give my tin as replacement to your wonderful dog handler next week when the last few sites get the sniff? 

Banging out a casual 5 Hundy after work in the evenings.. alone with my thoughts and the gentle thunder of the compressor.. 

what will the coming season bring.. 

fame and fortune or perhaps more heartbreak and accumulating full drums.. 

I live in hope sipping from my half full glass... 

B672862A-94D3-46AA-900B-A628831F5B42.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Mate! Do I give my tin as replacement to your wonderful dog handler next week when the last few sites get the sniff? 

Banging out a casual 5 Hundy after work in the evenings.. alone with my thoughts and the gentle thunder of the compressor.. 

what will the coming season bring.. 

fame and fortune or perhaps more heartbreak and accumulating full drums.. 

I live in hope sipping from my half full glass... 

B672862A-94D3-46AA-900B-A628831F5B42.png

Hang on to the tin .... the lady said that the world is round ..... and as for next year ...... keep the buds plugged in as you bang out the boxes ..... music soothes the soul and fills it with hope and optimism.

Things are looking up ... Trust me ....  and miracles still happen - Stella got a COF today . We is going to Hollywood tomorrow !

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Stoney said:

Marty Woods clearly states he would give a body part up for this tin “left or right it’s your choice” he said 

his name was nobby hall, and.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to put labels on 5 pound tins when I was a kid. You also had to put a five penny seals  levy stamp on the label. There were sheets of them in one of the office drawers for years until somebody threw them out which is a bit of a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Mate! Do I give my tin as replacement to your wonderful dog handler next week when the last few sites get the sniff? 

Banging out a casual 5 Hundy after work in the evenings.. alone with my thoughts and the gentle thunder of the compressor.. 

what will the coming season bring.. 

fame and fortune or perhaps more heartbreak and accumulating full drums.. 

I live in hope sipping from my half full glass... 

B672862A-94D3-46AA-900B-A628831F5B42.png

Thankfully Iv finished making boxes, sheds full 500 3/4 new supers and 200 new Fd boxes in the last 2 seasons lol what a mission

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

500 3/4 !!! What a wimpish outfit !

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I got like 1400+ wets in my shed now that's more than enough for any man to handle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, yesbut said:

500 3/4 !!! What a wimpish outfit !

What you have to remember is that the expansion is being done after hours when most people are getting counselling with their shrinks.  This wimpish operation is optimistic serious !

2 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I think I got like 1400+ wets in my shed now that's more than enough for any man to handle

Sounds like you need another man ..... maybe even a wo-man ?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Thankfully Iv finished making boxes, sheds full 500 3/4 new supers and 200 new Fd boxes in the last 2 seasons lol what a mission

It took 3 days to bang out 5000 staples on the senco, made life way easier than the 30+ thousand square drives I put in before hand for the rest of my boxes

3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

What you have to remember is that the expansion is being done after hours when most people are getting counselling with their shrinks.  This wimpish operation is optimistic serious !

Sounds like you need another man ..... maybe even a wo-man ?

I found that my misses was really good, even better than most men but she can't handle the summer heat because she's anemic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maru Hoani said:

It took 3 days to bang out 5000 staples on the senco, made life way easier than the 30+ thousand square drives I put in before hand for the rest of my boxes

Uhuh ....I still don't under stand why people use screws to put their boxes together .....  it takes sooo long . They are after all only boxes that may well up on a burning pile.... or rot in some unforgotten field.... or ....

5 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

It took 3 days to bang out 5000 staples on the senco, made life way easier than the 30+ thousand square drives I put in before hand for the rest of my boxes

I found that my misses was really good, even better than most men but she can't handle the summer heat because she's anemic

Hmmm ..... dare I say it, but over the years I have generally found that most women make better workers ..... they seem to have more patience and roll with the punches rather than throwing thier  toys out of the box. 

Just an observation !

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haines apiaries ran 3500 hives all constructed with 2 and 2 1/2inch zinc screws. I could do a hundy @ 28 per box a day,  way stronger than staples though.

I used gorrila glue when I made mine out of staple just to give them a bit of kaha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with "kaha."

I broke up a box tonight for kindling ...... it was over thirty years old put together with 2" nails and painted with lead based  ..... took a bit of" kaha" to bend it small enough to get in the fire box ! 

 

'Kia Kaha'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our son and family have moved back from melbourne and brought a life style property in nelson .

He wondered if I could put a hive at his new place .

Not a full hive , just half a hive .

I explained that it did not really work like that .

He said his friend in christchurch has two half hives on his place maintained by a bee keeper .

He described something in size bigger than a nuc but smaller than a single FD.

I am wondering what they are ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Our son and family have moved back from melbourne and brought a life style property in nelson .

He wondered if I could put a hive at his new place .

Not a full hive , just half a hive .

I explained that it did not really work like that .

He said his friend in christchurch has two half hives on his place maintained by a bee keeper .

He described something in size bigger than a nuc but smaller than a single FD.

I am wondering what they are ..

Possibly the new 8 frame hives, or could be 3/4 brood boxes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Possibly the new 8 frame hives, or could be 3/4 brood boxes.

nothing is going stay a single box.

its probably gets swapped for a nuc at every visit. thats about the only way to keep a hive that small.

probably the beeks nuc raising operation.

seen that done with pollination hives :(

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nelson is over run with hives and AFB 

maybe find out if there are already hives close by I can almost guarantee there will be.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Staples are just so much quicker, the mistake a lot of new beekeepers make is to just nail, staple et cetera the ends on. Staples in the end hold the end on but it is the side staples that give the box most of its strength. I use a fairly heavy duty staple and have plenty of boxes over 40 years old that are still going strong. Occasionally after 20 or so years of use they get a few extra side staples just to tighten them up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Nelson is over run with hives and AFB 

maybe find out if there are already hives close by I can almost guarantee there will be.

 

If he wanted bees for the orchard I am sure there will be plenty around .

The family have been living in an apartment in Melbourne .

They now want sheep, chooks , rabbits , bees  vege garden etc.

I am Going to talk him out of getting a hive .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great @kaihoka so many people who get a lifestyle block want a beehive without thinking about what other beehives are already around.

Because they don’t know about bees it never enters their mind that it could actually cause a problem or be a problem .

 

very please you are going to try to talk them out of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, john berry said:

Staples are just so much quicker, the mistake a lot of new beekeepers make is to just nail, staple et cetera the ends on. Staples in the end hold the end on but it is the side staples that give the box most of its strength. I use a fairly heavy duty staple and have plenty of boxes over 40 years old that are still going strong. Occasionally after 20 or so years of use they get a few extra side staples just to tighten them up.

thoughts on a combo of gorilla grip and end only annulated nails?

3 hours ago, kaihoka said:

If he wanted bees for the orchard I am sure there will be plenty around .

The family have been living in an apartment in Melbourne .

They now want sheep, chooks , rabbits , bees  vege garden etc.

I am Going to talk him out of getting a hive .

they could probably find a neighbour with hives and help them out and get honey out of it without adding to the over-population or spending beyond a beesuit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Great @kaihoka so many people who get a lifestyle block want a beehive without thinking about what other beehives are already around.

Because they don’t know about bees it never enters their mind that it could actually cause a problem or be a problem .

 

very please you are going to try to talk them out of it.

He had ideas that I could put one of my hives there .

He is in redwoods valley , 3 hrs away.

He has been operating in a very human centred corporate world for many yrs.  Where all problems have human solutions . 

The natural non human world is not so easily reasoned with and you can not simply throw  money at problem and make it disappear .

I have suggested their first sheep should belong to someone else and they provide the grazing .

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...