Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So, today I was cleaning bottom boards, replacing staples and assessing stores in my late splits. Basically wintering them down, but also marking newish queens. 

 

On the whole it was a successful mission on a beautiful Chch day. I was really enjoying myself, particularly after yesterday’s (mistaken) discovery of AFB (thanks to those who gave opinions and advice - I’m still learning heaps). 

 

Anyways, the last nuc for the day was full of bees, pleanty of brood and lots of eggs in a good pattern indicating my month old mated queen was going strong. Found her on the third frame and went to pick her up, just like the rest that day, missed her, tried again and she flew away! Yup, just flew away. What a surprise!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the storm

I've finished my May round of beekeeping , which was primarily moving Staples back into the centre of the brood, disease checks , reducing boxes where needed and  temperament recording .   A

been Extracting this week , 3 days left , happy to have very little granulation this late in the season . Hives and nucs have been  wintered down and hives that needed to be moved have been

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

missed her, tried again and she flew away! Yup, just flew away. What a surprise!!

I think that calls for the word used in the Toyota Adverts.

 

Did you relocate her?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

So, today I was cleaning bottom boards, replacing staples and assessing stores in my late splits. Basically wintering them down, but also marking newish queens. 

 

On the whole it was a successful mission on a beautiful Chch day. I was really enjoying myself, particularly after yesterday’s (mistaken) discovery of AFB (thanks to those who gave opinions and advice - I’m still learning heaps). 

 

Anyways, the last nuc for the day was full of bees, pleanty of brood and lots of eggs in a good pattern indicating my month old mated queen was going strong. Found her on the third frame and went to pick her up, just like the rest that day, missed her, tried again and she flew away! Yup, just flew away. What a surprise!!

 

It's not that uncommon with new queens 

 

She will quite likely be in the hive next time you look 👍😉

Edited by M4tt
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

Did you relocate her?

 

Nope! Vanished into thin air. Just hoping she’ll make her way back without my help... will check next week. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

 

Nope! Vanished into thin air. Just hoping she’ll make her way back without my help... will check next week. 

When such thing happen to me, I leave open BB for 5-10 minutes more. So if she cruise around to have time to cool down temper and return back.. This happen mostly with young queens, or when she is in diet in preparation for swarming.. 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather gods and my schedule have prevented a check now for 2-3 weeks. I wintered down 4’weeks ago effectively. 

 

Just need a sunny still day, 🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jamesc said:

Uh huh ..... and the varroa.

 

All hives have fresh staples in for winter and are looking good. Some are munching through the stores... 

17 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

@CHCHPaulthen laying is in full swing. You have to watch the stores.

 

Thanks. This colony pictured refuse to take down syrup so they are on the raw sugar rations... will be interesting to see how they go 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

 

All hives have fresh staples in for winter and are looking good. Some are munching through the stores... 

 

Thanks. This colony pictured refuse to take down syrup so they are on the raw sugar rations... will be interesting to see how they go 

Iv seen it a few times over the years, colonies that just won't take syrip down as if they refuse to eat it. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked on my hungry hive that I moved  into the hakea .

It was very busy and there were frames full of new nectar .

So I will not need to feed it any more this winter .

The hakea will keep flowering till the middle of august 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/05/2019 at 5:46 PM, jamesc said:

AF21CEF8-2F9E-4263-90C8-4C218959526F.jpeg

This tin came in today .... It's go to be well past it's use by date.... but  I filled it nevertheless.

Jamesc our workshop manager Marty has asked me to ask you .... if this tin EVER comes into your reach again that you pass on my cell phone number to the owner.... 

It’s his great granddaddy who started around 1922 ran this outfit.. from West Belt Rangiora.. 

Marty Woods clearly states he would give a body part up for this tin “left or right it’s your choice” he said 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

 The tin belongs to a couple in Sheffield and is sitting in the shop They left it for me to fill  .....he's a naturopath and when I commented that the dog had a sore back he offered to straighten it ... which he must have done as Dog is a pain in the butt again.   I said he should take the honey for nothing. He has'nt picked it up yet.  I'll ask  ..... left or right ..... tough choice .....

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...