CHCHPaul

May 2019 Apiary Diary

So, today I was cleaning bottom boards, replacing staples and assessing stores in my late splits. Basically wintering them down, but also marking newish queens. 

On the whole it was a successful mission on a beautiful Chch day. I was really enjoying myself, particularly after yesterday’s (mistaken) discovery of AFB (thanks to those who gave opinions and advice - I’m still learning heaps). 

Anyways, the last nuc for the day was full of bees, pleanty of brood and lots of eggs in a good pattern indicating my month old mated queen was going strong. Found her on the third frame and went to pick her up, just like the rest that day, missed her, tried again and she flew away! Yup, just flew away. What a surprise!!

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

missed her, tried again and she flew away! Yup, just flew away. What a surprise!!

I think that calls for the word used in the Toyota Adverts.

Did you relocate her?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

So, today I was cleaning bottom boards, replacing staples and assessing stores in my late splits. Basically wintering them down, but also marking newish queens. 

On the whole it was a successful mission on a beautiful Chch day. I was really enjoying myself, particularly after yesterday’s (mistaken) discovery of AFB (thanks to those who gave opinions and advice - I’m still learning heaps). 

Anyways, the last nuc for the day was full of bees, pleanty of brood and lots of eggs in a good pattern indicating my month old mated queen was going strong. Found her on the third frame and went to pick her up, just like the rest that day, missed her, tried again and she flew away! Yup, just flew away. What a surprise!!

It's not that uncommon with new queens 

She will quite likely be in the hive next time you look 👍😉

Edited by M4tt
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

Did you relocate her?

Nope! Vanished into thin air. Just hoping she’ll make her way back without my help... will check next week. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Nope! Vanished into thin air. Just hoping she’ll make her way back without my help... will check next week. 

When such thing happen to me, I leave open BB for 5-10 minutes more. So if she cruise around to have time to cool down temper and return back.. This happen mostly with young queens, or when she is in diet in preparation for swarming.. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

So saturday, bee check day, yay finally! its been a bit hard to get time to get into the hives the last while, but I managed it.

I have been checking mite drops and tapping and hefting the hives every few days... tapping to get a a wee buzz back LOL... no buzz usually means no bees.

...and the first hive I checked has no buzz for a couple of weeks at least now. This is the hive I was not holding out much hope for: definately dead, no bees, not a speck of brood alive or dead, no honey, lots of pollen though (this was a swarm from spring rehomed along with an older last season swarm ). They had started laying but were doing very little. A couple of checks ago i gave them some brood but they just capped it and carried on. So I wasnt overly concerned...meh... 4 hives is plenty for me now.

Next three hives, loads of bees still (probably too many really), quite a few frames of brood (whats happened to winter?), plenty of honey, even fresh nectar... not sure where thats from. One hive still had a few drones in it. Redistributed OA strips to the brood, the ones that hadnt been chewed out, quite a few were, updated some. Mite fall had been steady with these, not huge but enough to warrant keeping strips in through winter.

Last hive, not looking so brilliant, smaller than the others but actually probably about where I would expect winter bees to be TBH, a small amount of brood, plenty of stores, but also a couple of DWV bees as well... UGH! This one has also had the highest mite drop by far, it also had had the largest bee population over the season and the nicest chilled nature, and gave me at least 3 boxes of honey on it own. So it got some new strips and I will be watching it closely... dont really want to lose it cos its my fav hive.

so another check next month now..

• Like 6

It's the dryest iv ever seen for May in Northland, I'm still getting in on the ute withought making a mess. 

• Like 2

Weather gods and my schedule have prevented a check now for 2-3 weeks. I wintered down 4’weeks ago effectively. 

Just need a sunny still day, 🤞

Bees foraging together in Kerala, India. 

@Jose Thayil what sort of palm is that .

I have seen lots of bees on the Nikau flowers .

10am on a cold, but sunny, Chch morning and the pollen is pouring in. 

F518E887-4B85-4F71-9460-BDA50E36D9D4.jpeg

• Like 5

On 18/05/2019 at 12:39 PM, kaihoka said:

@Jose Thayil what sort of palm is that .

I have seen lots of bees on the Nikau flowers .

Coconut palm.

• Thanks 1

@CHCHPaulthen laying is in full swing. You have to watch the stores.

• Good Info 1

31 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Uh huh ..... and the varroa.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, jamesc said:

Uh huh ..... and the varroa.

All hives have fresh staples in for winter and are looking good. Some are munching through the stores... 

17 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Thanks. This colony pictured refuse to take down syrup so they are on the raw sugar rations... will be interesting to see how they go 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

All hives have fresh staples in for winter and are looking good. Some are munching through the stores... 

Thanks. This colony pictured refuse to take down syrup so they are on the raw sugar rations... will be interesting to see how they go 

Iv seen it a few times over the years, colonies that just won't take syrip down as if they refuse to eat it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

AF21CEF8-2F9E-4263-90C8-4C218959526F.jpeg

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

The thing I like about this time of year is that we have absolutely nothing of urgence to do ..... except sit in the honey shop with the heater going filling pots with the seasons harvest.

This tin came in today .... It's go to be well past it's use by date.... but  I filled it nevertheless.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 9

I checked on my hungry hive that I moved  into the hakea .

It was very busy and there were frames full of new nectar .

So I will not need to feed it any more this winter .

The hakea will keep flowering till the middle of august 

• Like 2

Last shift, unload in the morning then last site to check and staple and I'm on shed duties and wax moth. 

IMG_20190521_185003-2340x3120.jpg

• Like 3

been Extracting this week , 3 days left ,

happy to have very little granulation this late in the season .

Hives and nucs have been  wintered down and hives that needed to be moved have been moved  ,

off to see @flash4cash tomorrow to pregnancy scan goats.

leaving staff member to do shed Tetris to get the wets stacked away .

• Like 9

I've finished my May round of beekeeping , which was primarily moving Staples back into the centre of the brood, disease checks , reducing boxes where needed and  temperament recording .

All hives have brood, some a lot, although drone production has ceased at last. 

There is more nectar coming in than what hives are consuming . It's dandelion, which thrives on our farm thanks in part to my pasture management . 

All hives needed Staples moving .

Some hives have super testy bees thanks to new supercedure queens. They will get replaced in November from queens bred from my consistently pleasant to work hives. Some of the supercedure queens are nice to work.

There are no deadouts and no weak hives and no sign of varroa. The hives that had CBPV have worked through it .

They are looking as good as they ever have moving into winter 😊

• Like 10

927714311_20190522_172043(Small).thumb.jpg.50b7856052e539618820a809004c0e41.jpg

Tree Dahlia time again.  Exactly the same time as last year. The bees are all over it as usual. Poor photo, poor light.

• Like 6

@yesbut the tree dahlias  you gave me are all flowering .

One of them broke in half two weeks ago but the side shoots are budding up .

On 21/05/2019 at 5:46 PM, jamesc said:

This tin came in today .... It's go to be well past it's use by date.... but  I filled it nevertheless.

Jamesc our workshop manager Marty has asked me to ask you .... if this tin EVER comes into your reach again that you pass on my cell phone number to the owner.... 

It’s his great granddaddy who started around 1922 ran this outfit.. from West Belt Rangiora.. 

Marty Woods clearly states he would give a body part up for this tin “left or right it’s your choice” he said 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

The tin belongs to a couple in Sheffield and is sitting in the shop They left it for me to fill  .....he's a naturopath and when I commented that the dog had a sore back he offered to straighten it ... which he must have done as Dog is a pain in the butt again.   I said he should take the honey for nothing. He has'nt picked it up yet.  I'll ask  ..... left or right ..... tough choice .....

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2