8 hours ago, Josh said:

Glad to hear those kits work. Did my AFB course, went straight out & got one... AFB is a sly dog, I want all the tricks

Well... I guess I’ll find out next season if they work as I’ve merged that colony with a couple that needed feeding. Fingers crossed the test kit is accurate and functions for it’s purpose. 

• Like 1

Not what I wanted to find in the hive..

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Hive killed yesterday.  Burning tomorrow.  Heart breaking 

• Sad 5

22 minutes ago, BRB said:

Our condolences.

Well done spotting symtoms.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, BRB said:

imagejpeg_2.jpg

unless i've missed something, you may have killed a non-afb hive.

• Agree 4

Funny you should say that I've been struggling to see it.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, BRB said:

imagejpeg_2.jpg

do you have other pictures?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BRB said:

BRB it is not AFB. Don't burn it.

If you really want to be sure, get one of those test kits and test it.

Edited by Alastair

I didn't make the call.

I did my checks 6 weeks ago all fine in my eyes.

I had a commercial beek do a random inspection on behalf of asure & mpi. He found a few cells in brood chamber.  He thought it was early on set. That was the only pic he sent. He's marked hive and reported it.

If he's wrong that'll be disappointing. But I feel I need to trust the system if we really want to get rid of afb.

I've already killed bees. it's the gear that's more heartbreaking. 

I prob can test the comb now as if soaked it?

If I am to trust the inspector, and afb had only started showing signs. Rather now than spring. 

On a side note. All my hives where fed 3 weeks ago. This hive didn't touch the syrup, feeder was still full.  All had the same amount of stores and needed a feed. This one appeared to be getting some from somewhere else.  

20190517_044058.jpg

The uncapped pupa looks like early AFB to me . 

The guys that do the AFB inspections are pretty good at what they do .

These photos are really helpful to see the different stages of AFB.

I found the photo of the White slumped larvae particularly interesting as I have seen this in a hive before and wondered about it being AFB.

It never progressed to anything more I suspect because the bees cleaned it up. 

As far as I know any time you see pupal tongue it’s AFB and that uncapped larvae looks to have the signs of pupal tongue forming .

i stand to be corrected though.

515390EE-D5BC-4E89-AEED-14C92D123EB1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

OK, well i didn't know it was checked by an AP2, and i don't know what he found that is not in the pic.

The "rope", as shown in the pic, does not look like AFB. The sick larva looks more like sac brood to me, but would have to see in real life to be sure.

Could be the pic does not show the true colour, guess I'll have to bow to the guy who saw it in real life.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My initial thoughts were the rope is the wrong colour and the dead pupae is not upside down . However , I now wonder if the pic  has been posted upside down , in which case it does look like AFB , with pupal tongue facing up towards the top of the cell. That is also a very long rope for sac brood 

Edited by M4tt
  • Agree 1

I agree, yes colour looks wrong but the rope length and consistent thickness of the roping.... sac brood will rope at times but usually only on the first try and even then its not a snot like consistency and has lumps etc

• Good Info 1

Wow, very interesting. Can’t wait for my recap course. 

Be an interesting academic exercise to test a frame. But could be very disappointing for @BRBtoo, so might not be worth the anxiety. 

After all the reading i've done of this forum, I would have never killed a hive on my own without input from someone with more experience, or posting pics like @CHCHPaul did and getting feedback. 
Prob should have mentioned it had been inspected, when I posted the pic. Oh well.
Un sure which way around the frame was, I wasn't there. I wish I was now, more for the learning point of view. To see if A) I missed it when I checked it, or b) the hive only started showing symptoms.
I'm pretty sure this was the 3rd or more cell he tried so It wasn't a one hit wounder. I don't have any reason to dought him, he does get paid for doing it. I'm not going to muck around getting a second option. It's one hive. I will survive. I just hope it hasn't spread to the rest of them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yeah, pretty sure that frame/photo is upside down. 

###### of a thing. 

That wasn’t really a swear word! (Forum replaced)

• Like 1

trouble is AFB can look like PMS at times. AFB in its early stages can look like a lot of things.

plus it kinda looks like mite debris in many of the cells in the pic.

personally i would not call it AFB, but mark it for checking later on.

with AP2 don't they lab test samples from the hives before burning ??

i know of guys who had hives that have been marked AFB by ap2's, yet they never found anything themselves and the hive never got symptoms or died.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

AP2's have the option to have samples tested, but usually don't if it's obvious, testing is another cost. So testing is normally only done if there is no other way to determine it, or, if the hive owner flat out refuses to believe the AP2.

I wouldn't call that pic obvious, but on the other hand, wasn't there with the guy.

Edited by Alastair

Rather it wasn't afb and burned, than it was and wasn't burned. If you are unsure you can only rely on someone else, so best to get up to speed yourself. 

• Like 1