M4tt

Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus

A few of my hives are in different stages of collapse from CBPV.

Today I shot this video to illustrate what I am seeing in the hive.

This hive is 3 X 3/4 boxes and is still reasonably strong as there are no dead bees out front yet. The majority of the sick bees are on the outer frames , or in the bottom box as the hive appears to be trying to push them out . All brood is in box 2 and the top box is 100%  capped honey . Most stores have been eaten by the hive in box 1.

Note the bees with Type 1 CBPV are still hairy , but have splayed wings holding them in a V, and are aimlessly ambling around.

The Type 2 CPBV have no hair and look shiny, or oily. 

This virus affects adult bees and they get sick and die quickly .

The bees in the brood area and top box are healthy.

On opening the hive, the bees buzz loudly, and behave similar to a queeless hive . To me the hive is giving off a sick vibe 

Damn Matt I cant say I’ve seen or ever want to see that in my hives, is it contagious between colonies? 

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Damn Matt I cant say I’ve seen or ever want to see that in my hives, is it contagious between colonies? 

I believe it's transmitted bee to bee. I have two apiaries with it .

I'm going to let it run its course because there is nothing that can be done . 

My hope is that the survivors devolop 'immunity' and build up again and carry on .

My question is , why , and why now .......

I've always had the occasional shiny bee here and there but nothing like this 

I’m assuming both sites have had brood and or gear or hives shifted to each other in the past like most sites have.. I need to do some reading on this. 

Have you had colonies recover before? 

Autumn is the time for illness/ disease to rear its head, I guess this is no different. 

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I’m assuming both sites have had brood and or gear or hives shifted to each other in the past like most sites have.. I need to do some reading on this. 

Have you had colonies recover before? 

Autumn is the time for illness/ disease to rear its head, I guess this is no different. 

The sites are about 500 metres apart , but I can shift hives between the two and the bees stay put .

That said , these are permanent hives and I have not shifted hives too and fro  for 14 months .

The things in common are , forage area, honey boxes and me and my hive tool.

Now that said , my two other sites fall into the same category except one was made from  QR splits in November from the home apiary, and they don't have it. The other site that is clear is further away and all FD boxes, ie older colonies in older gear. 

My hive tool has not been scorched for a  while either so that kind of rules that out as a transmitter as I use it regularly on all hives . 

There is an apiary on the other side of our farm that is not mine , but these two infected apiaries are closest to. It was taking on some ferocious robbing a couple of weeks ago straight after the beek was blowing bees and inspecting brood. I could  read anything into that that may or may not be applicable as I don't know the disease status of those hives , but the hives around my house were robbing for sure with the volume of bees rushing home with no flow on , like they were on a full flow. 

pathogen programme spring 18 , North Island nine apiaries with cbpv, south Island three apiaries with cbpv

My count was about 500,000 copies per bee .

16 hours ago, M4tt said:

A few of my hives are in different stages of collapse from CBPV.

Today I shot this video to illustrate what I am seeing in the hive.

This hive is 3 X 3/4 boxes and is still reasonably strong as there are no dead bees out front yet. The majority of the sick bees are on the outer frames , or in the bottom box as the hive appears to be trying to push them out . All brood is in box 2 and the top box is 100%  capped honey . Most stores have been eaten by the hive in box 1.

Note the bees with Type 1 CBPV are still hairy , but have splayed wings holding them in a V, and are aimlessly ambling around.

The Type 2 CPBV have no hair and look shiny, or oily. 

This virus affects adult bees and they get sick and die quickly .

The bees in the brood area and top box are healthy.

On opening the hive, the bees buzz loudly, and behave similar to a queeless hive . To me the hive is giving off a sick vibe 

Doesn’t look good. We’ve had that before and lost dam near the whole site. What about removing that bottom box of sick bees and dumping them 50mtrs away ?? The sick ones shouldn’t make it back to the hive. 

• Good Info 1

15 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

What about removing that bottom box of sick bees and dumping them 50mtrs away ?? The sick ones shouldn’t make it back to the hive. 

Good suggestion . I’ll do it on a couple and see if it makes any difference 😊

23 hours ago, Stoney said:

you will have had it or get it at some stage.

not really contagious as such, at least not in a fatal way. plenty of hives will have infected bees and still go onto be good hives.

i see it fairly often. only ever had a few hives that have got it really badly to the point the hive declines and dies.

however keep in mind its probably not the only virus effecting the bees. odds are they have had mite issues which allows everything to get going.

What have your mite levels been throughout the season?

42 minutes ago, Jamo said:

What have your mite levels been throughout the season?

The lowest I've ever seen . I've almost forgotten what they look like .  Not being silly. Avid Staples fan here 👍👍😊

• Like 2

Back in the old days we assumed  bees that looked this way were robber bees and had lost their hair robbing. Viruses were not often talked about back then.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

Posted (edited)

So a couple of days , a recheck of the hives . 

The feeder is a favourite place for them to die . Two hives with dead shiny bees up top . On the bright side , it was hard to find any shiny bees in those two hives  that were still alive 

C1E30A68-0020-4DC0-BE4E-C243276F14D8.jpeg

9FF6F4F9-86AC-4536-B244-13079309C718.jpeg

The hive I took the video in HD has no deaths yet so I took the bottom box away and dumped the bees out and put  the box back on .

Unfortunately the shiny bees can still fly and raced me back to the hive . None were left where I dumped them out 

Edited by M4tt

@M4tt do you have any theory about why they are going up into an empty feeder to die ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@M4tt do you have any theory about why they are going up into an empty feeder to die ?

Saves the bees chucking them out the door ??

Not really other than its away from the brood nest .

After my dumping bees out experiment , it's clear the Type 2 bees are mature flight bees and probably  have no business in the brood nest, as thats the place for young nurse bees, which I suspect preserves the brood nest from virus so healthy bees will come through .

I am unsure which bees the Type 1 are ( hairy with V wings) because there were plenty of them dead in the feeder in one hive as well . 

I strongly suspect that once the sick bees are dead, the remaining bees will recover, but they will need looking after through winter with reduced hive sizes . 

7757700D-86D8-4E7C-BE73-5F821724317C.jpeg

Live bees and wasps climbing over dead bees here. Wasps flew in as I opened hive 

Edited by M4tt
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, M4tt said:

So a couple of days , a recheck of the hives . 

The feeder is a favourite place for them to die . Two hives with dead shiny bees up top . On the bright side , it was hard to find any shiny bees in those two hives  that were still alive 

C1E30A68-0020-4DC0-BE4E-C243276F14D8.jpeg

9FF6F4F9-86AC-4536-B244-13079309C718.jpeg

The hive I took the video in HD has no deaths yet so I took the bottom box away and dumped the bees out and put  the box back on .

Unfortunately the shiny bees can still fly and raced me back to the hive . None were left where I dumped them out 

Well that’s that theory ruined 😁

Just now, nikki watts said:

Well that’s that theory ruined 😁

It was well worth a try 😉😊

Matt have you had any of your bees, dead or alive, tested to see what may be going on?

4 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Matt have you had any of your bees, dead or alive, tested to see what may be going on?

No. I’m watching and learning to see how it all evolves 

Posted (edited)

@M4tt I've seen this before. It'll be archived here somewhere. I came to understand that CBPV is passed from the queen to brood via the egg. Requeening with resource from outside the colony cleared it up within a few months. In spring the colony will require close monitoring as its foraging force will be greatly diminished. 

This one

Edited by Rob Stockley
  • Thanks 1

@M4tt  do you think that what @Rob Stockley says about  shinny bees being passed by queen to brood would apply to other viruses .

I often read on the forum that re queening fixes a lot of problems .

On 29/04/2019 at 10:02 PM, M4tt said:

The lowest I've ever seen . I've almost forgotten what they look like .  Not being silly. Avid Staples fan here 👍👍😊

Interesting. 

I been seeing the same thing and worried about this. Got Dan to come over to do a pre winter inspection to make sure everything was okay and it appears to be.

You had them moving to the feeder to die, I found them going to the bucket i had started collecting dead bees in, meaning to get them tested.... but accidentally left them outside over night and it rained, so that put paid to that idea.

Brief update on inspection today 

Two hives still have prolific numbers of shiny bees in them , one has had deaths in the feeder and out front, while the other has had no deaths . Both are bloodless. 

In both , most of the shiny bees are at the bottom , and working the bottom boxes are extremely trying. I’d score them 8/10.

By the second box up , there are few sick bees and they are back to an average 5/10score and are pleasant to work .

Third box up is normal bee activity and healthy bees .

Two other hives have have no more sign of clinical bees after severe numbers of dead bees observed previously . One has a brand new supercedure queen laying like there is no tomorrow, trying to get the hive population up, and the other hive has one frame of patchy brood. Both have severe temperament issues , but they always did have previously with the Queen they have on board , so I can’t blame the virus in this case .

• Like 1

i've had this before in a bout 3 hives, they do come right but takes a long time, one hive i had suffered from this all summer and i kept thing its a goner, a new queen was put into this hive and now 12 months on its a good strong hive, 

it does seem a little strange its happening now, iam sure all my 3 hives got it early to late spring

• Like 1

Oh dear Matt, if both hives are bloodless it must bee damn vampire mites causing the damage

• Haha 4