Jump to content
jamesc

1080

RISK OF CLOSURE

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I had the interesting pleasure of staying with him and his Son along with the captive girl for a few days
I didn't realize at the time that she was captive, just thought it was an old guy with a young girlfriend who had been warned not to talk to the young visitors.
Heaps of Pigs


 

I have a friend in the bay who grew up in that area.

He goes back up there to catch eels regularly.

He knew the family well and had no idea of the situation either .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I had the interesting pleasure of staying with him and his Son along with the captive girl for a few days
I didn't realize at the time that she was captive, just thought it was an old guy with a young girlfriend who had been warned not to talk to the young visitors.
Heaps of Pigs


 

We used to park the boat in the Mangatiti stream mouth and walk the old track for an hour or 2, plenty of goats and the occasional Red. The DOC cullers told us to drift down the river at dusk for deer and that sure was good advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I have a friend in the bay who grew up in that area.

He goes back up there to catch eels regularly.

He knew the family well and had no idea of the situation either .

Huge Eels 

The creeks have cut up to 10m down into the Papa and the eels stay there in the inaccessible pools land locked

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Huge Eels 

The creeks have cut up to 10m down into the Papa and the eels stay there in the inaccessible pools land locked

We would drop a carcass into a stream and wait and watch, while we had lunch.  

Now back to the topic, 1080 and insects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philbee said:

You also might be a lot better Hunter than me😁

I remember back in the 80s doing live capture of Goats in the Mangapurua valley(bridge to nowhere) we would work hard all week and eat goat and beans.

In the next valley was a flock of sheep which after a few weeks of lean meat we would be driven to steal.
It was a primeval drive inherent to the hungry hunter.
Sneaking in on the prey I could taste the fat (calories), pure gold 

 

When reading this, first what come to my mind is Walt Disney " No hunting" episode.. Sorry.. for.. offtopic 😏

Edited by Goran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Goran said:

 

When reading this, first what come to my mind is Walt Disney " No hunting" episode.. Sorry.. for.. offtopic 😏

More like Deliverance 

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Philbee said:

More like Deliverance 

We were told to watch that movie before venturing on the Wanganui above Pipiriki, and we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Russ said:

We were told to watch that movie before venturing on the Wanganui above Pipiriki, and we did.

Sounds just like home .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay ..... here we go again. This time round forewarned is fore armed. 

No gathering of Kai from 1080 drop zones for three months after ....

2C5B9D42-A102-427E-A4D3-1722C83DEBBB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Okay ..... here we go again. This time round forewarned is fore armed. 

No gathering of Kai from 1080 drop zones for three months after ....

2C5B9D42-A102-427E-A4D3-1722C83DEBBB.jpeg

Why were you sent the letter James.Last week I walked up to Carol hut above the bush line.No keas at all.I wonder why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bighands said:

Why were you sent the letter James.Last week I walked up to Carol hut above the bush line.No keas at all.I wonder why

It came through on the txt machine from the missus this evening.  

I read in the press that the 1080 drop is ramping up this year .... higher concentrations on less area because of the increase in pest tucker.

Arthurs Pass is high on the target area.

 

1080 is ruthless on it's target kill ...... birds, deer , rodents ....... insects .... and has a withholding period of several months.

 

Like in the early days .... DDT was the cocky's saviour from the grass grub ..... but it came back to bite the dairy boys in the rear end.

I worry a bit about these sort of things.

Income and starving bees are fixable ...... you just gotta work harder and smarter, but it's the curved balls that get thrown at you that are the tricky ones. The curved balls  that you should be able to control but have  a spin and elude you ......

Like Glyphosate. My neighbour and I have had  a few conversations about their chemical pasture control program ...... and yet the other day we came home and he was busy pouring the Glyphosate and Lorsban onto a a 'run out ' paddock full of Dandelions. Meanwhile my cell builders on the other side of the road are going beserk in the mid afternoon heat.

I'm telling you, this world is full of some really smart people, but a lot of them are blinkered and ignorant to the Big Picture.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jamesc said:

It came through on the txt machine from the missus this evening.  

I read in the press that the 1080 drop is ramping up this year .... higher concentrations on less area because of the increase in pest tucker.

Arthurs Pass is high on the target area.

 

1080 is ruthless on it's target kill ...... birds, deer , rodents ....... insects .... and has a withholding period of several months.

 

Like in the early days .... DDT was the cocky's saviour from the grass grub ..... but it came back to bite the dairy boys in the rear end.

I worry a bit about these sort of things.

Income and starving bees are fixable ...... you just gotta work harder and smarter, but it's the curved balls that get thrown at you that are the tricky ones. The curved balls  that you should be able to control but have  a spin and elude you ......

Like Glyphosate. My neighbour and I have had  a few conversations about their chemical pasture control program ...... and yet the other day we came home and he was busy pouring the Glyphosate and Lorsban onto a a 'run out ' paddock full of Dandelions. Meanwhile my cell builders on the other side of the road are going beserk in the mid afternoon heat.

I'm telling you, this world is full of some really smart people, but a lot of them are blinkered and ignorant to the Big Picture.

I’m pleased they don’t use that crap anywhere near where I live , but they have killed damn near all the birds on Mt Pirongia with it . It’s a real sore point with those in the know that know .

In no way do I condone the way DOC manage pests with aerial drops 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In battle it was/is called 'Collateral damage'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

For every person who says that in their personal experience 1080 kills all the birds there is another who says in their personal experience the birds have all come back in an area with 1080 drops .

It is such an emotionally charged topic its pretty  near impossible to find a neutral opinion.

Agreed.   We know that glyphosate, lorsban, tordon , atrizan , 1080 , petroleum and all the stickers are highly toxic ...... but the crops  grows again afterwards. The thing is they

only grow after a couple of   seasons.  

From a Bee perspective the  product testing has become so rigorous that we ned a zero residue to be able to enter a market a few months after production. And therein lies the problem. A lot of these chemicals take quite a few years to degrade.

The other major problem is that New Zealand is incredibly backward in moving forward. Most of these chemicals have been banned in Europe..... and for good reason. The food we eat is poisoned ..... look at the rise in cases in depression, dementia, cancers, brittle bones, infertility,  not too mention mental instability ..... what we put into our bodies reflects who we become ...... 

I rest my case your honour.

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

For every person who says that in their personal experience 1080 kills all the birds there is another who says in their personal experience the birds have all come back in an area with 1080 drops .

It is such an emotionally charged topic its pretty  near impossible to find a neutral opinion.

NO,it is not emotional but factual.My hive are in the bush 10 kms from anyone else.When you come across a freshly shot goat,move it off the track and watch that dead carcass being destroyed by nature every month when you visit your hive , you have to wonder.

   No flies ,no maggots and no wasps to take it away, just the wekas having a great o;ld feed..You have to wonder why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bighands said:

NO,it is not emotional but factual.My hive are in the bush 10 kms from anyone else.When you come across a freshly shot goat,move it off the track and watch that dead carcass being destroyed by nature every month when you visit your hive , you have to wonder.

   No flies ,no maggots and no wasps to take it away, just the wekas having a great o;ld feed..You have to wonder why.

Do you think the wekas die from eating the carcass. ?

When our area was 1080 dropped we were advised to allow 6 mnths for possum bodies to rot and the area be safe for dogs .

 But It would depend on time of yr I would think .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think the wekas die from eating the carcass. ?

When our area was 1080 dropped we were advised to allow 6 mnths for possum bodies to rot and the area be safe for dogs .

 But It would depend on time of yr I would think .

I do not know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how things come round. Himself and I were just discussing Weka & 1080 last week. When our children were small, our out of the way village got a DOC “Weka Guardian” as Motu had one of the last small population of North island Weka. There have been major trapping programs, cats, rats ferrets & stoats. A great deal of tax payer funding and huge volunteer hours. This funding was later transferred to Kiwi, but still benefits the Weka.  In the last few years there’s evidence (to us, as we see & hear weka outside of this “predator free island”) when travelling and sometimes in our apiaries. 

 

It it would be a shame if 20+ years of trying, and beginning to build a population was wiped out (I’ve seen Weka eat road kill) so have no doubt they would eat dead poisoned animals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bron said:

Funny how things come round. Himself and I were just discussing Weka & 1080 last week. When our children were small, our out of the way village got a DOC “Weka Guardian” as Motu had one of the last small population of North island Weka. There have been major trapping programs, cats, rats ferrets & stoats. A great deal of tax payer funding and huge volunteer hours. This funding was later transferred to Kiwi, but still benefits the Weka.  In the last few years there’s evidence (to us, as we see & hear weka outside of this “predator free island”) when travelling and sometimes in our apiaries. 

 

It it would be a shame if 20+ years of trying, and beginning to build a population was wiped out (I’ve seen Weka eat road kill) so have no doubt they would eat dead poisoned animals.

Yes, great to hear there are still some weka left in the North Island.It would be great to see them monitored to see if tere is secondary poisoning when eating othe animals killed by 1080

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bighands said:

Yes, great to hear there are still some weka left in the North Island.It would be great to see them monitored to see if tere is secondary poisoning when eating othe animals killed by 1080


there are so many weka around here it’s crazy try to get rid of them but they keep coming back 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:


there are so many weka around here it’s crazy try to get rid of them but they keep coming back 

Good on them. They know the best places for a free feed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now Western Taupo has a pig problem
I have two sites that have been tripped up by wild pigs and its the first time Ive seen this.

Last spring I could sit on a certain knob and sometimes see 3 separate mobs feeding on one 2 kms fence line and had a suspicion then that things  were about to get out of control.

Problem is that pig hunters cant control pig numbers in the native, they just push them from one area to another.
In the pines its much easier because the hunters can drive the grid pattern roads with dogs and the Pigs can be really pressured but not in the native scrub land.

So that leaves two control methods, AR 15s and thermal scopes or 1080.
To complicate matters some bright spark decided that a cycle track 10-50m from the farms back boundary was a good idea so shooting is now a major organisational undertaking.
I doubt that many in parliament have ever seen what 10ha of pig rooting looks like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...