jamesc

RISK OF CLOSURE

Nah did not need to the locals sorted it out earlier

• Haha 1

In the Waikato when the chopper pilot either missed his way points for the drop or the farmers fences were inadequate,  when 8 cows last year died from 1080 poisoning bees were observed on the carcasses.

DOCS own testing confirmed 1080 was the cause of the cows death.

FB_IMG_1556441987911.jpg

• Good Info 1

Christi,The bees need water and dust and pelets land on the place where bees drink also dust from the hopper goes onto the flowers and the bees take that up.

Jasper, Which laboratory did doc use for their testing.To my knowlege only one lab in N.Z TESTED BIirds animals etc for 1080 and that is Land care,owned by the government so would you trust them

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Ok .... keeping it light hearted .... and a little bit out of Ruatoria is a little place called Tiki Tiki.

I was carting bees into there one  morning. 96 loaded up on Stella out of Opotiki at some ungodly hour in the morning. Halfway around the Cape the clutch lost all sensation. The cable had collapsed. So I rang my mate down here at home who suggested we just utilize the crash box of the Road Ranger.   Mr T is quite dead now, but over the cell phone he taught me how to work a road ranger crash box.  Thanks Mr T.

We made it into the site for the obligatory Greenie in the early dawn  with the Bro, and then limped back to  the fix it shop at Tiki Tiki.

That clutch lasted the rest of the season.

God'Z'own.

6 minutes ago, jasper said:

In the Waikato when the chopper pilot either missed his way points for the drop or the farmers fences were inadequate,  when 8 cows last year died from 1080 poisoning bees were observed on the carcasses.

DOCS own testing confirmed 1080 was the cause of the cows death.

FB_IMG_1556441987911.jpg

What is this rather emotive photo supposed to portray?
My observation is that this beast died in a wetland or creek where Bees drink.
Two bees are at the water and the other two are on what could just as easily be a rock.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Two bees are at the water and the other two are on what could just as easily be a rock.

Looks like a cows nose to me.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Simply that bees were observed on carcasses of animals that were confirmed by DOC to have died of 1080.

Just now, jasper said:

Simply that bees were observed on carcasses of animals that were confirmed by DOC to have died of 1080.

Aye for sure Patrick ... bees are curious critters and love to hang around the dog kennels here sniffing on P.

I do not wish to link to the video but yes the animals died near a swampy creek that bees could be utilizing as a water source.

3 minutes ago, jasper said:

I do not wish to link to the video but yes the animals died near a swampy creek that bees could be utilizing as a water source.

A possible solution might be to fence the Creek 

• Like 3

And ..... backing right off here , because tonight is Sunday, and tomoro is Monday when everyone comes back to work  after the school hols.... that's me done. Not that I'm confident of everyone being back at work as they just won a lot of dollars at the local pig'n'possum hunt. ... an I sent a communal txt saying " No rush Bro .... if u have a sore head".

God'z'own , eh.

I have an apiary that was within an area that would have had a 1080 drop last spring (only the unsettled weather stopped the drop). I was contacted by DOC and told that the helicopter would stay 50 metres away from the apiary as it spread the 1080 and that there would be very little dust, I would have been contacted  a couple of days before the drop, giving me enough time to move the hives as there was no way I would leave them in place and take the chance of contamination, whether or not, someone tells me 1080 is safe. 

• Like 2

usually I find that for the next two seasons after a 1080 drop I get better crops and have less problems with wasps,

Could just be coincidence, but !

2 hours ago, tommy dave said:

as you may or may not know, i admin some facebook beekeeping page. Policy on that page now is no 1080 discussion, mostly due to death threats that i received for deleting some of the craziest comments. Death threats from people the cops were concerned about and with access to serious firepower. There's some nutters out there, just ask their views on pouring sugar into helicopter fuel tanks...

irrespective of the pros and cons of 1080, the anti-1080 brigade have among them a large number of people with strong views on things such as chem-trails, assassination being appropriate, etc, etc. Tread carefully.

here's a couple of points

• the active ingredient will kill bees
  • there were early tests with jam as a bait, and bees did die
  • there have been no bee deaths attributable to 1080 in this century
  • there have been no residues found in honey this century as far as i know
  • there have been claims that 1080 drops during a rata flowering flow could result in powder residue being taken up with the nectar and affecting the flow, as far as i know there has been no honey tested that has supported that paranoia though

and here's an opinion:

if 1080 didn't kill deer there would never have become a 1080 conspiracy movement. Those who hated that 1080 killed not only possums, but also their sport, got vocal - but realised fairly quickly that deer are also a pest and saying "1080 is bad cos it kills deer" wouldn't carry much weight, so instead they preyed upon the susceptible, the naive, the unsound, and created a conspiracy industry among those seeking people to blame for life's circumstance

I am not familiar with your 1080 pesticide, but if it can keep numbers of deers down, how we can import the " cure" since herds of 50-100 deers are menacing us really hard as lot of people quit sowing and planting fruit trees cause of them.. I myself had heavy damage on about 200 fruit trees and on the other over 1000 " some less" ( eat the flower buds for next season). When I was walking through the orchard by the smell I was thinking I am in a stable.. The hunter's hands are tied, cause they are allowed to kill few per season, and deer population growth are hundreds per season ( does now have to 2 fawns each since such " paradise" for them).. Lately seems some disease got them ( due overpopulation, I presume nature found it's way to keep it down), which may struck them hard to my relief.. For a year I had no visible damage ( few attempts with braking electric fence). Smaller roe deer is decent animal, it come to fence and walk around, but deers break in and carve deep in trunk of fruit trees, strip off bark of fruit trees, cut in half young fruit trees. To don't get wrong there is abundance of available food around fence. Some says all animals are God's creatures, somehow I believe deers are of " Other" guy creatures..

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

3 minutes ago, Goran said:

I am not familiar with your 1080 pesticide, but if it can keep numbers of deers down, how we can import the " cure" since herds of 50-100 deers are menacing us really hard as lot of people quit sowing and planting fruit trees cause of them.. I myself had heavy damage on about 200 fruit trees and on the other over 1000 " some less" ( eat the flower buds for next season). When I was walking through the orchard by the smell I was thinking I am in a stable.. The hunter's hands are tied, cause they are allowed to kill few per season, and deer population growth are hundreds per season ( does now have to 2 fawns each since such " paradise" for them).. Lately seems some disease got them ( due overpopulation, I presume nature found it's way to keep it down), which may struck them hard to my relief.. For a year I had no visible damage ( few attempts with braking electric fence). Smaller roe deer is decent animal, it come to fence and walk around, but deers break in and carve deep in trunk of fruit trees, strip off bark of fruit trees, cut in half young fruit trees. To don't get wrong there is abundance of available food around fence. Some says all animals are God's creatures, somehow I believe deers are of " Other" guy creatures..

I hear ya brother .... We planted five hectares of oats for winter feed. I was gonna let the land lie fallow for the winter, stir it up a little bit to supress the weeds and then drill it down in lucerne in the spring, but then I thought 'Ah what the heck, put some oats in and put the skinny cows'nhorses on it over the winter.

So we drilled it.

For goodness sake. Last week a mate came up. He has a thermal imaging camera and picked up a mob of 30 plus deer having  feed. Which probably explains why we have no winter feed for skinny cows'n' horses . So now we is going into the Salami business.

We sure as heck 'ainto gonna starve this winter, that's for sure, unless you is vegan.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I hear ya brother .... We planted five hectares of oats for winter feed. I was gonna let the land lie fallow for the winter, stir it up a little bit to supress the weeds and then drill it down in lucerne in the spring, but then I thought 'Ah what the heck, put some oats in and put the skinny cows'nhorses on it over the winter.

So we drilled it.

For goodness sake. Last week a mate came up. He has a thermal imaging camera and picked up a mob of 30 plus deer having  feed. Which probably explains why we have no winter feed for skinny cows'n' horses . So now we is going into the Salami business.

We sure as heck 'ainto gonna starve this winter, that's for sure, unless you is vegan.

I am not vegan, nor hunter. BUT when I was walking through orchard ( watching massacre of what we grown for years) day by day, if I met deer I would go after him with bare hands regardless his antlers ( in such situations fear doesn't exist, just pure anger)..

18 hours ago, Mummzie said:

This is an interesting opinion piece regarding 1080 and the targeted species.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/112038546/nature-not-natives-must-be-the-priority-for-molesworth

Lol

Thats a funny article

I hunt deer but understand that if there was no bush there would be no Deer.
What the article doesn't mention is the environmental impact of Deer.

Next time you drive past a Deer farm  take a look at any large hills on it, they will be covered in ruts and erosion.

Deer also have a way of turning pitosporums and young five finger into box hedges by giving them a flat top Haircut.
Also everyone knows that the deer you shoot is not often cheaper than the meat you buy.

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Also everyone knows that the deer you shoot is not often cheaper than the meat you buy.

There’s a lot of factors that come into that equation... but I gotta say.. if I do the butchery, basic steaks, roasts and mince,(no processing- sausages, salami etc) also I don’t need to travel more than 1km each way... meat is often incredibly cheaper than shop bought. 

Now... back to bees... as you were. 

I just wish there were more wild sheep around. Boiled  mutton & onions....mmmmmmmmmm

38 minutes ago, Stoney said:

There’s a lot of factors that come into that equation... but I gotta say.. if I do the butchery, basic steaks, roasts and mince,(no processing- sausages, salami etc) also I don’t need to travel more than 1km each way... meat is often incredibly cheaper than shop bought. 

Now... back to bees... as you were. 

You also might be a lot better Hunter than me😁

19 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I just wish there were more wild sheep around. Boiled  mutton & onions....mmmmmmmmmm

I remember back in the 80s doing live capture of Goats in the Mangapurua valley(bridge to nowhere) we would work hard all week and eat goat and beans.

In the next valley was a flock of sheep which after a few weeks of lean meat we would be driven to steal.
It was a primeval drive inherent to the hungry hunter.
Sneaking in on the prey I could taste the fat (calories), pure gold 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

You also might be a lot better Hunter than me😁

I remember back in the 80s doing live capture of Goats in the Mangapurua valley(bridge to nowhere) we would work hard all week and eat goat and beans.

In the next valley was a flock of sheep which after a few weeks of lean meat we would be driven to steal.
It was a primeval drive inherent to the hungry hunter.
Sneaking in on the prey I could taste the fat (calories), pure gold 

Was that the Mangatiti valley.

15 minutes ago, Russ said:

Was that the Mangatiti valley.

Lol, Bill was a bad shot but still not worth the risk.

Im talking Coote's to the north, 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

Lol, Bill was a bad shot but still not worth the risk.

Im talking Coote's to the north, 

Was warned about him, but never had the pleasure of meeting him, did hear a shot or 2 , not sure if they came from him though.

4 minutes ago, Russ said:

Was warned about him, but never had the pleasure of meeting him, did hear a shot or 2 , not sure if they came from him though.

I had the interesting pleasure of staying with him and his Son along with the captive girl for a few days
I didn't realize at the time that she was captive, just thought it was an old guy with a young girlfriend who had been warned not to talk to the young visitors.
Heaps of Pigs

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.