jamesc

RISK OF CLOSURE

Today I was asked to join the anti 1080 Revolution.   They said they needed more beekeepers on their front line.

So I consulted Dr Google .... and found a fact sheet put out by Ospri who concluded that 1080 poised no serious threat to bees .....

Big Hands begs to differ in Forum discussion back in 2015

Any new updates ...?

• Like 1

OSPRI and TBFree NZ believe in chucking the stuff around so the fact sheet put out by them may read in their favour .......

Anti - s are a bunch of red neck liars.

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1

Uh Huh ..... keep it coming, Ladies ..... gents ...... facts please .

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Uh Huh ..... keep it coming, Ladies ..... gents ...... facts please .

I just stated one. Another one is that 1080 as a topic should, along with religion and  politics be banned from the forum.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

Thankyou .... it has been noted.

I was cruising around the coast in the early spring while the powers that be were doing a major drop.

Many people were in tears as poison got dumped into their water supplies and larders.

1080 invokes a lot of passion  ...... but as a Beekeeper , how it does it affect the honey my bees produce ?

Edited by jamesc

4 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Another one is that 1080 as a topic should, along with religion and  politics be banned from the forum.

Totally agree. 

Depending on your view of the world and your experiences, or  not, with 1080, opinions will vary wildly and accusations will fly 

• Agree 1

Uh huh .... just like climate change .... the ship is sinking and the band plays on .....?

Widespread control of possums has led to much improved tree health which has led to better flowering and more honey. We no longer see willow trees  stripped back to their branches every spring and possums will even eat the flowers of the manuka.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jamesc said:

1080 invokes a lot of passion  ...... but as a Beekeeper , how it does it affect the honey my bees produce ?

as you may or may not know, i admin some facebook beekeeping page. Policy on that page now is no 1080 discussion, mostly due to death threats that i received for deleting some of the craziest comments. Death threats from people the cops were concerned about and with access to serious firepower. There's some nutters out there, just ask their views on pouring sugar into helicopter fuel tanks...

irrespective of the pros and cons of 1080, the anti-1080 brigade have among them a large number of people with strong views on things such as chem-trails, assassination being appropriate, etc, etc. Tread carefully.

here's a couple of points

• the active ingredient will kill bees
  • there were early tests with jam as a bait, and bees did die
  • there have been no bee deaths attributable to 1080 in this century
  • there have been no residues found in honey this century as far as i know
  • there have been claims that 1080 drops during a rata flowering flow could result in powder residue being taken up with the nectar and affecting the flow, as far as i know there has been no honey tested that has supported that paranoia though

and here's an opinion:

if 1080 didn't kill deer there would never have become a 1080 conspiracy movement. Those who hated that 1080 killed not only possums, but also their sport, got vocal - but realised fairly quickly that deer are also a pest and saying "1080 is bad cos it kills deer" wouldn't carry much weight, so instead they preyed upon the susceptible, the naive, the unsound, and created a conspiracy industry among those seeking people to blame for life's circumstance

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

OK. Folk's

Let's be careful on what we say here.

Stick to fact,

No threats

No playing the man.

Admin will be watching this thread and it will be locked and hidden without any warning if it stays into deep water.

So far everyone is playing by the rules I have just stated.

I am going to tag this thread for close admin monitoring.

Thanks

Trev 

Administrator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Uh huh .... just like climate change .... the ship is sinking and the band plays on .....?

Thankyou Tommy Dave ..... so I can stick that bumper sticker on my truck and wear it with pride .... that bumper sticker that says " 1080 kills bees"

This thread is now closed .

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Thankyou Tommy Dave ..... so I can stick that bumper sticker on my truck and wear it with pride .... that bumper sticker that says " 1080 kills bees"

This thread is now closed .

I never liked any of them new fang dangled chemicals from day one.

• Like 2

i find it very interesting that when talking about 1080 a lot of people will go nuts, who at the same time don't seem to care about neonics and glyphosate (and not seldom use those substances themselves).

1 minute ago, Christi An said:

i find it very interesting that when talking about 1080 a lot of people will go nuts, who at the same time don't seem to care about neonics and glyphosate (and not seldom use those substances themselves).

Don't get me wrong .... we are worried about all those chemicals ..... but neonics and glyphosate are fed to the world in humungous amounts, so we don't need to kick up too much stink about them or it will affect our bottom line. 1080 is more crop specific and affects fewer people .....

4 minutes ago, Christi An said:

fascinating eh, not that i believe any of the three substances mentioned are any threat to bees...

• Haha 1

James, you have hit on a subject close to my heart.My involement with 1080 and beekeeping goes back to 2009 when I was exporting west coast Manuka and Rata to the usa vselling to wholefoods and selling it as ORGANI[CERTIFIED]. The rules changed and I was asked to find apiray sites further than 5 km away from any conventional agriculture with no sprays which I did.When I submitted thse to Asure Quality for perusal they found out that 1080 had been dropped 3 yrs beforehand so this land was now not certified Organic under the "National O rganic Program" which is the standard used by the Americans.

T he following year I was approached by landcare and asked to donate a hive to test the honey for 1080 as they were dropping in the Reefton area.I was not prepared to donate one of my hives so I gave it a miss. Land care used one of their own but they had to feed it tyo keep it alive so how accurate were the results from this hive.

I believe there was no detection of 1080 in the honey from thios hive.I have no idea what they tested for or what they tested.

Advance to last year 2018.I sked every laboratory that I know of in N.Z. if they test for 1080 in honey.The only positive result I received back was from Analytica saying $10,000 to develop a test and I was the 1st person who had asked for a test.After all the facebook fiasco with Comvita I was contactede by a kiwi vet working in Perth and she told me to send bee samples to Q2ueensland equivalent of MPI AND THEIR TEST GO DOWN to ppb.Now do you tust Landcare for the results as they only test down to .000pts/ml

• Good Info 2

1 minute ago, tommy dave said:

fascinating eh, not that i believe any of the three substances mentioned are any threat to bees...

Life revolves on humour .... even in the darkest days.

• Agree 1

I disagree Tommy.I know of one incident where roundup was found in honey before it left N.Z. thank goodness.

1 minute ago, Bighands said:

James, you have hit on a subject close to my heart.My involement with 1080 and beekeeping goes back to 2009 when I was exporting west coast Manuka and Rata to the usa vselling to wholefoods and selling it as ORGANI[CERTIFIED]. The rules changed and I was asked to find apiray sites further than 5 km away from any conventional agriculture with no sprays which I did.When I submitted thse to Asure Quality for perusal they found out that 1080 had been dropped 3 yrs beforehand so this land was now not certified Organic under the "National O rganic Program" which is the standard used by the Americans.

T he following year I was approached by landcare and asked to donate a hive to test the honey for 1080 as they were dropping in the Reefton area.I was not prepared to donate one of my hives so I gave it a miss. Land care used one of their own but they had to feed it tyo keep it alive so how accurate were the results from this hive.

I believe there was no detection of 1080 in the honey from thios hive.I have no idea what they tested for or what they tested.

Advance to last year 2018.I sked every laboratory that I know of in N.Z. if they test for 1080 in honey.The only positive result I received back was from Analytica saying $10,000 to develop a test and I was the 1st person who had asked for a test.After all the facebook fiasco with Comvita I was contactede by a kiwi vet working in Perth and she told me to send bee samples to Q2ueensland equivalent of MPI AND THEIR TEST GO DOWN to ppb.Now do you tust Landcare for the results as they only test down to .000pts/ml

Ah, there you are Mr Big Hands. I was hoping to hear from you.  Perhaps we should have a PM ..... did you need a bumper sticker ?

But seriously ... here we are with an organic treatement available to keep th varroa under bay that may well generate us a higher per hive revenue, and yet if we are placing them in land that is not 'Organic' .... then we are pushing shish up hill . I never was much good at French.  

• Like 2

Just now, tommy dave said:

it is proven they are a threat to honeybees, but they dont threaten any honeybee population for various reasons (beekeepers keeping other diseases at bay and making enough splits is one).

agricultural pesticides in general however are responsible in the biggest loss of biomass (insects) worldwide. in certain areas up to 80% of all insect live has gone (and many birds) - speaking more of europe here. im always very pleased to see how many bugs still fly around here.

regarding 1080 it would be interesting to get some scientific evidence that does not have a high risk of being biased.

I already have one on my truck James.Why do you think I went up to Ruatoria?To produce pure organic honey for my market,

4 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I disagree Tommy.I know of one incident where roundup was found in honey before it left N.Z. thank goodness.

wasn't saying it wasn't a threat to the honey industry - clearly the bees involved had survived well enough to produce a crop...

1 minute ago, Christi An said:

it is proven they are a threat to honeybees, but they dont threaten any honeybee population for various reasons (beekeepers keeping other diseases at bay and making enough splits is one).

agricultural pesticides in general however are responsible in the biggest loss of biomass (insects) worldwide. in certain areas up to 80% of all insect live has gone (and many birds) - speaking more of europe here. im always very pleased to see how many bugs still fly around here.

regarding 1080 it would be interesting to get some scientific evidence that does not have a high risk of being biased.

Perhaps we should have voted the levy in and be able to access some research funding  ?

Just now, Bighands said:

I already have one on my truck James.Why do you think I went up to Ruatoria?To produce pure organic honey for my market,

Oh sweet Mother of the good lord .... Ruatoria ..... did you sort the bar windows out ?

• Haha 1

what is the theory behind as to how 1080 would actually make it into a beehive?

dust? bees trying to forage sugar from the baits?

3 minutes ago, Christi An said:

sure, not arguing for or against this one.

But that's unrelated to any claim that the three things you listed mess over honeybees eh...

nice change of topic though.

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.