Philbee

Wasp guards and more

Posted (edited)

There was a thread about wasp guards that was closed a while back and on the face of it the OP broke a few forum rules with regard product promotion.

I meet these guys in Thames on Saturday and they are a unique team IMO.
To be honest my opinion after spending a hour or more looking at their product and more importantly listening and experiencing their knowledge was that the wasp guard that they have developed represented only a small part of what they have to offer the industry.

To put it in perspective, IMO the wasp guard they have developed is but a very small representation of who they are, or at least who they potentially are.
Kind of like IBM being represented in the market by a Keyboard Mouse.
Another field day visitor who meet these guys along with me took a sample to try in a completely different sphere of bee keeping and we both agreed that the product in another pest sphere  had the potential to be a game changer.
I cant say too much in this regard as it could have IP implications but I personally look forward to meeting them again and talking pest control. 

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 4

Hi Philbee, glad to see you have seen the light 😉. This afternoon we got confirmation that we will exhibit at the Field Days Innovation center,  so thousands will have the opportunity to understand a little more. Then 2 weeks after that we will be at APINZ

We really do believe that this is just the start of a journey. 

Sean

• Like 3

On 3/05/2019 at 8:41 PM, SeanMonica said:

Hi Philbee, glad to see you have seen the light 😉. This afternoon we got confirmation that we will exhibit at the Field Days Innovation center,  so thousands will have the opportunity to understand a little more. Then 2 weeks after that we will be at APINZ

Sean

Congrats on getting into the Innovations Centre at the Feildays, look forward to seeing you there...

I have one particular yard that has been hammered by wasps this autumn. I have watched as strong hives with very low mite counts, no signs of virus etc also with reduced entrances, dwindling in bee numbers considerably. Compared to yards in the same area but without same wasp pressure the difference in bee numbers is considerable. 

I have a question though if you don't mind, if using a standard style of wooden floor how do the bees get on removing hive detritus and "oxalic acid staple fluff" etc?

On 3/05/2019 at 8:41 PM, SeanMonica said:

Sean

@SeanMonica  have you a website link to direct me to for the waspy thingees.

Hi Phil. Nice to meet and talk to you at the Thames Fieldays. Thank you for your comments and insights. We appreciate your feedback and honest opinion! Looking forward to catching up at Apinz conference. 

4 hours ago, Daniel Benefield said:

Congrats on getting into the Innovations Centre at the Feildays, look forward to seeing you there...

I have one particular yard that has been hammered by wasps this autumn. I have watched as strong hives with very low mite counts, no signs of virus etc also with reduced entrances, dwindling in bee numbers considerably. Compared to yards in the same area but without same wasp pressure the difference in bee numbers is considerable. 

I have a question though if you don't mind, if using a standard style of wooden floor how do the bees get on removing hive detritus and "oxalic acid staple fluff" etc?

Thanks, Daniel, please make sure that you introduce yourself to us at Fieldays. Fingers crossed we are hoping for some nice awards :)

You raise an interesting point and is one that we have been toying with for a long time. How can we measure the cost of the wasp problem besides complete colony loss? Most of the surveys done regarding wasp problems are subjective and are more interested in hive loss due to wasps, But you have to wonder if the increase in wasp numbers is not significantly contributed to by the amount of beehives out there - we are feeding the wasps. What is this costing us in honey production? What is the cost of mass bee loss due to wasps even though the hive still survives?

I actually prefer using a standard style wooden floor. When using a HiveGate there appears to be a positive effect on humidity management when we are able to suck air directly from the cluster, rather than the overall beehive. We have tested the HiveGate for over a year and we do not get a build up of dead bees or wasps inside. Saying that there are a couple of pointers. I am just about to post a finding, and in this situation, I did get a build up in this hive. The "hive maintenance" functions are carried out by the young bees, before they become foragers, so as long as you have young bees, they will clear the hive. 

Regards Sean

4 hours ago, fieldbee said:

@SeanMonica  have you a website link to direct me to for the waspy thingees.

Yes, @fieldbeethe waspy thingees is actually a lot more than wasp control, but if you do have wasps, then HiveGate will allow your bees to effectively defend themselves against those critters. Do a search for beeiq.solutions, there is a video there that we took nearly a year ago when we were developing our ideas.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I put one of these wasp guards on a home hive a while back
There is a very strong wasp population around my place and I knew this device would get a good test.

When I was given this trial device by Sean and Co I could see that there was an apprehension in them that I know only too well in that, was this guy going to give the device  a fair go and use it in the way that it had been designed to use.

I chose not to, deciding instead to stack the odds against it

I had an upside down hive that was all wrong, the queen got above the excluder and the bottom box was a mixed bag and overall light.
I removed the excluder and fitted the wasp guard.

This Hive is right at the door to my shed so every day Im able to spend time watching it.
It intrigues me how the bees quickly adapt and take ownership of our man made interventions and this device is no exception.

The wasps tend to dart down toward the entrance then quickly veer away but every now and again one will fly straight in without even touching the landing board.
Im guessing these brave souls make up the majority of the daily pile of dead wasps on the ground at the front of the Hive.

The hive is on hard packed dirt so everything that is tossed out of the Hive is left in plain view.

There are dead Bees also but they dont outnumber the dead wasps by much.

So far, despite being installed in a hive that has the cluster in the top box away from the device, at a time when the wasps are particularity active, its working well. 

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2

You are the consummate researcher @Philbee. For sure that is not what we would have recommended for your first trial but always encouraging to see positive outcomes. We appreciate your efforts here. 

The longer we use HiveGate the more we appreciate what it does and without using chemicals and requiring ongoing oversight. 

Your next challenge is to test it in a bee robbing situation 😉, afterall it is a lot more than a wasp guard.

Regards Sean