Jump to content
Thomas Clow

Honey Producers Co-op Meetings Update

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Maggie James said:

Is marijuhana a  high protein pollen & quality nectar source for honey bees?

No, for nectar .

Maybe for pollen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot_20190530-191216_Chrome.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Adam .... you talk about consolidating, amalgamating and engineering to survive , which is great .... but what gets me is that every time I ring you guys and send samples I am politely told that it is not what you are looking for . So what are you looking for .... the creme da la creme of high activity manuka, 0-9 clover ?   I would suggest that you have really limited you ability to grow as all those commodities are in very short supply. You guys need to widen your horizons . If you feel the co op is a non runner, then step into the market, grow some wings, and  show us how it is done rather than just postulating and telling us why it cant be done !

The simple answer is that depending on the month and market seasonality we require in the region of $2-3 million of honey each month and this is growing. There are multiple criteria of honey floral type, price, colour, volume per delivery, grades, C4 levels and MPI conformity or strength in particular markers. I am sorry if you have not met the necessary requirement determined by the market at that particular time. 

As for making an effort and growing some wings as you put it - We have developed the fastest growing brand in NZ converting more than 200 stockists in our first 6 months with continued stockist growth averaging 8 new stockists per week. We have launched a second brand positioned in a different retail channel also delivering rapid growth. In the next six weeks we are relaesing 10 new product lines across two brands and launching a third new Brand providing another retail channel option. Non of the ten new products are Manuka related. 

 

We are trying!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

As for Manuka - The only way that becomes a monumental agricultural disaster is if the industry maintains a foot shooting policy. Market growth, consumer acceptance and demand would suggest it is up to us who successful we are. 

Nah mate

The disaster starts when Hives leave the farms.

Nothing to do with airy fairy foot shooting nonsence or industry self determination

Hives leaving pasture = loss of Clover and Nitrogen fixing, end of story

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy you do love a conspiracy theory, now in your mind the honey judge is seller of honey into AUS, APINZ is a honey buying packing marketer and I'm the head of a cartel.

Just stick to moon landings and chem trails.

ignoring the insults.

 

two points.

First, my comment on the honey judge was that there was an element of naivety - i'm not sure why you suggest i accuse her of anything beyond that?

" the judge in question may have been naive, but it's effectively a New Zealand endorsement of aussie honey being sold as "manuka". "

 

secondly, i think it's reprehensible that people in NZ might be selling honey in bulk to australian packers while knowing that it is going to be packed and sold as aussie manuka. You and i may well disagree on that one - i'm curious if you're one of the people doing it. Given that you don't answer the question on whether you were involved with people doing so, and instead resort to insult, it's easy enough to leap to conclusions that may or may not be correct (e.g., you are doing so, but are not proud of it).

The question again, for reference:

 

@Dennis Crowley do you have any financial or political involvement in nz honey being sold to australian packers?

 

 

 

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adam Boot said:

The simple answer is that depending on the month and market seasonality we require in the region of $2-3 million of honey each month and this is growing. There are multiple criteria of honey floral type, price, colour, volume per delivery, grades, C4 levels and MPI conformity or strength in particular markers. I am sorry if you have not met the necessary requirement determined by the market at that particular time. 

As for making an effort and growing some wings as you put it - We have developed the fastest growing brand in NZ converting more than 200 stockists in our first 6 months with continued stockist growth averaging 8 new stockists per week. We have launched a second brand positioned in a different retail channel also delivering rapid growth. In the next six weeks we are relaesing 10 new product lines across two brands and launching a third new Brand providing another retail channel option. Non of the ten new products are Manuka related. 

 

We are trying!

Good on yer ..... I was being polite when I said Wings ..... what I wanted to say was Balls.

So you are buying 2-3 miilion bucks worth of honey a month . Mate, that is one serious amount of honey you are moving ..... after three crap years ..... where the heck are you finding it .....!! Obviously not in Canterbury, or Marlborough, or the West coast, or the East Cape ...... Maybe Taranaki ?? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jamesc said:

Good on yer ..... I was being polite when I said Wings ..... what I wanted to say was Balls.

So you are buying 2-3 miilion bucks worth of honey a month . Mate, that is one serious amount of honey you are moving ..... after three crap years ..... where the heck are you finding it .....!! Obviously not in Canterbury, or Marlborough, or the West coast, or the East Cape ...... Maybe Taranaki ?? 

Some big players out there with heaps of non target honey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nuc_man said:

Some big players out there with heaps of non target honey

Meaning ...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jamesc said:

Meaning ...?

I probably just guessing but in the deep south I don't no of any honey shifting so its gotta be coming from somewhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

First, my comment on the honey judge was that there was an element of naivety - i'm not sure why you suggest i accuse her of anything beyond that?

Firstly I would like to ask, where you present at this Australian honey competition? 

8 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

i'm curious if you're one of the people doing it

Secondly, mind your own business

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Hmmm ..... so Adam is buying $3 mil worth of honey a month, which is $36 million dollars worth of Non Manuka  honey PA at $4/kg equates to 9000 tonnes PA. Brother , you are either gonna save the industry, or I need to get out of the gully more. The country only produces 20,000 tonnes. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Big Hmmm ..... so Adam is buying $3 mil worth of honey a month, which is $36 million dollars worth of Non Manuka  honey PA at $4/kg equates to 9000 tonnes PA. Brother , you are either gonna save the industry, or I need to get out of the gully more. The country only produces 20,000 tonnes. 

I sold 10 kgs at my gate today so only... 19 ,999.9990 tonnes to go buyers better get buying

 

Edited by Nuc_man
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At my old job we would get a bonus if we produced over 100 ton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nuc_man said:

I sold 10 kgs at my gate today so only... 19 ,990 kgs to go buyers better get buying

Tons

Did you paid at the gate ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Did you paid at the gate ?

Always get paided at the gate

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nuc_man said:

Always get paided at the gate

All recorded for IRD ?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked to a farmer today wanting to no how my beekeeping empire was going, the surprise on his face when I told him if things don't change fast I'll be requiring his jumbo fire pit ,and a job driving his tractor. The farmers who need us have no idea how close to the wire we run.

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

All recorded for IRD ?

Of course 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nuc_man said:

Talked to a farmer today wanting to no how my beekeeping empire was going, the surprise on his face when I told him if things don't change fast I'll be requiring his jumbo fire pit ,and a job driving his tractor. The farmers who need us have no idea how close to the wire we run.

Uh Huh ..... I talked with my mobile sawmiller man yesterday ..... he had his boy with him ..... 10yo, driving the massive Hough loader around the saw paddock, no hard hat, no high viz, and we commented on the teachers strike. His comment was that they were'nt Rich Beekeepers.

'Indeed' I said,' but at least they draw a salary every year and don't have to use the gate honey money  to buy groceries'.

Edited by jamesc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jamesc said:

Uh Huh ..... I talked with my mobile sawmiller man yesterday ..... he had his boy with him ..... 10yo, driving the massive Hough loader around the saw paddock, no hard hat, no high viz, and we commented on the teachers strike. His comment was that they were'nt Rich Beekeepers.

'Indeed' I said,' but at least they draw a salary every year.'

O do you not get $1000 a kg for your honey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

'Indeed' I said,' but at least they draw a salary every year and don't have to use the gate money from the gate money box to buy groceries'.

Edited just now by jamesc

They basically get a job for life, kiwi saver, annual leave, sick leave, stat hols, good salary and a heap of annual leave.  I know they work hard, but so do the rest of us.  I don't think they know how lucky they are

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ay for sure Paddy .... it's infused with medical substances that soothe the nerves and promote creative thinking.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would not be happy to sell honey like clover to Australia if I knew it was going to be blended with their manuka but if I had enough of my UMF 10 manuka honey that MPI tells me is not even manuka blend (mix it with enough clover and it would be) then I would feel justified in selling it to Australia considering how I am being shafted by MPI and my own government  . I would support a standard if it was based on good science but it is not. It is unethical and dishonest to water down good manuka to make it go further but it is also unethical and dishonest to say that perfectly good manuka is not manuka at all.

Can't see marijuana infused honey being profitable.Customers that want that sort of thing don't work hard enough to pay for it.

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john berry said:

Personally I would not be happy to sell honey like clover to Australia if I knew it was going to be blended with their manuka but if I had enough of my UMF 10 manuka honey that MPI tells me is not even manuka blend (mix it with enough clover and it would be) then I would feel justified in selling it to Australia considering how I am being shafted by MPI and my own government  . I would support a standard if it was based on good science but it is not. It is unethical and dishonest to water down good manuka to make it go further but it is also unethical and dishonest to say that perfectly good manuka is not manuka at all.

Can't see marijuana infused honey being profitable.Customers that want that sort of thing don't work hard enough to pay for it.

 

What about as a medical product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john berry said:

Personally I would not be happy to sell honey like clover to Australia if I knew it was going to be blended with their manuka but if I had enough of my UMF 10 manuka honey that MPI tells me is not even manuka blend (mix it with enough clover and it would be) then I would feel justified in selling it to Australia considering how I am being shafted by MPI and my own government  . I would support a standard if it was based on good science but it is not. It is unethical and dishonest to water down good manuka to make it go further but it is also unethical and dishonest to say that perfectly good manuka is not manuka at all.

Can't see marijuana infused honey being profitable.Customers that want that sort of thing don't work hard enough to pay for it.

 

What .... I was under the impression that it oiled  most of parliament.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Uh Huh ..... I talked with my mobile sawmiller man yesterday

Not the monetary (or however it is spelt) - whoops a bit of a monetary slip there,  pine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...