Thomas Clow

Honey Producers Co-op Meetings Update

2 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Why is testing insane? Do we want to be leaders on a world stage with best practice and best product or followers playing catch up? 

here is a question - if someone was to get a decent test/result for a small volume (say, a couple of drums) that they're giving away to mates this year from a couple of sites with scaling available (genuinely, know all landowners in a five kilometre radius) - do you think there would be demand next year for a few tonne?

On 24/05/2019 at 8:31 AM, Adam Boot said:

I think the pinch is across the industry to greater or lesser extents. The Manuka producers do not only produce Manuka and they are not guaranteed to always produce mono and or low c4. 

For most the percentage of Multi they produce will have increased. The value of the grades varies dramatically. 

If you can guarantee production on Mono then you are definitely doing ok. Anything outside of this is taking now has a reduced value. 

I also believe that there will be a tightening of rules around Multi Floral labelling over the next 12 months and this will nock Multi back again. Many countries are waking up to the fact that the way some brands label (legally allowed) is tantamount to misrepresentation of ingredients. 

So maybe that will sort out YesButts Australian MGO 30 manuka ....

Edited by jamesc

24 minutes ago, jamesc said:

So maybe that will sort out YesButts Australian MGO 30 manuka ....

No it won’t Australia can label their honey however they like.

Maybe all of us that produce multi floral Manuka should be shipping it to Oz and packing it there under a Manuka MGO 30 label. 

now theres a plan :) 

Edited by frazzledfozzle

It's happening Girl .... I'll say no more.

Uh Huh .... the Tortoise won the race .... right !

54 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

here is a question - if someone was to get a decent test/result for a small volume (say, a couple of drums) that they're giving away to mates this year from a couple of sites with scaling available (genuinely, know all landowners in a five kilometre radius) - do you think there would be demand next year for a few tonne?

Unquestionably we would be very interested

24 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

No it won’t Australia can label their honey however they like.

Maybe all of us that produce multi floral Manuka should be shipping it to Oz and packing it there under a Manuka MGO 30 label. 

now theres a plan :) 

Go for it. Take the short term cash if that is what you feel is right? 

24 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Of course it is happening and everyone knows who is involved. Will it pay off for them in the long run? I doubt. It is more likely to negatively reflect on their business in the long run. 

Reputable, ethical, professional companies do not do this. 

• Good Info 1

Short term cash is good .... it keeps the wheels turning . I had a lady come to the shop today ..... she had 400 bucks cash  to buy honey and was quite shocked when I filled her jars for 24 bucks. I think I screwed up there somewhere ! What ever ,it was  a  stunningly beautifull day .... and that's what counts .... right ?

8 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Unquestionably we would be very interested

Go for it. Take the short term cash if that is what you feel is right? 

Of course it is happening and everyone knows who is involved. Will it pay off for them in the long run? I doubt. It is more likely to negatively reflect on their business in the long run. 

Reputable, ethical, professional companies do not do this. 

Hmmmm ...... it's a big shark pool out there Adam ..... and rule No 1 is to never trust some one  who say's 'Trust Me'. 

31 minutes ago, jamesc said:

i heard a whisper about nz-bush and dew exported and now being sold in aussie blends as 'aussie manuka' - sound about right?

Uh Huh .....   MGO 45 Kamahi blended with a bit of Aussie jelly bush ..... tastes good on toast.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Edited by jamesc
  • Good Info 1

5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I had a lady come to the shop today ..... she had 400 bucks cash  to buy honey and was quite shocked when I filled her jars for 24 bucks. I think I screwed up there somewhere !

anytime you sell for above cost of production to someone who can talk and is smiling about the trad = not the worst screw-up in the world

4 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

anytime you sell for above cost of production to someone who can talk and is smiling about the trad = not the worst screw-up in the world

Exactly ..... she bought dew at $12/kg out of the 'Bulk tank' .   Almost three times  the  industry offered price.   It was a great day,  I is talking to the Doctor again. Happy days for us hand to mouth operators !!

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1