Thomas Clow

Honey Producers Co-op Meetings Update

Ah ... for goodness sake Mannering ..... don't panic .

Said he as he dined on beans.......again....rice might be a nice change? Get used to the Chinese way?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

theres always the packet of 2 minute noddles if you want a change.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

My kiwisaver balance is certainly taking a hammering :( 

I decided not to look at mine .

6 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Good call :)

Hoping for enough for a hearing aid , a few fillings and a decent pair of glasses.

• Haha 1

well at least you got kiwi saver ..... my kiwi saver was my bee operation ..... 😁

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 15/06/2019 at 6:46 PM, CraBee said:

I agree.  The situation seems to be that a bunch of consultants are now onboard and they've said you need some money to pay us to take this further, and hence the request for money.

I don't have confidence in co-ops as a business model.

I can't see how they can deliver anything more than the existing larger companies are.

The 16 regional groups with $2m each as per the sales pitch interested me as that may have given the co-op a start at least, free money is always helpful, but how realistic is that?

I don't really see this going anywhere.  To get this off the ground you need principals with nous who don't need the input of advisers.  IMO.  

My comment above back in June.

Have, probably as many of us have, now received an email from Bruce Clow advising of the demise of the idea, lamenting the direction that the advisors took it on, and lamenting all the money spent on fees ($100,000ish) with no result.

Bruce's email seemed very genuine and no doubt he gave it his best and relied on the advice of others.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, CraBee said:

My comment above back in June.

Have, probably as many of us have, now received an email from Bruce Clow advising of the demise of the idea, lamenting the direction that the advisors took it on, and lamenting all the money spent on fees ($100,000ish) with no result.

Bruce's email seemed very genuine and no doubt he gave it his best and relied on the advice of others.

Income is the cement of co operation.
He who can instigate  income can instigate cooperation.

Give it 5 years.

I think Bruce's email is symptomatic of the country at the moment.  The present government seems to have lost track of just who it is  who is creating the wealth of the country .  Which is a shame  because there are so many good ideas and  positivety out there . Perhaps we have  been spoon fed for too long and lost faith in our abilities to make great things happen.

The Co op idea may have taken a backwards step .... but that step back will give us a wider view of where we need to be headed and a better view of the summit.

3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

The present government seems to have lost track of just who it is  who is creating the wealth of the country . 

You mean the primary producers ?  Who earns the most out of an export leg of lamb, or  drum of honey, the primary producer or the downstream industries ? 

Which came first ..... the chicken or the egg ?

None of our previous Governments would have funded the co op either. That is not their role . 

Govt tax profits and spend the money elsewhere. That is their role 

• Like 1

Never mind, all is not lost, the aussies have come out fighting and declared their manuka better and more leptospermumingly diverse than ours.    It was to be expected that the staggering silence of the last week was merely a possum-like stupor whilst they gathered the last bit of data together and should loudly  "neh neh ours is better than yours" - "well some might be a a bit better and some might be a bit not better but mostly its actually pretty much the same .... neh neh and we are going to call it manuka with a small m and without that line thingy ...  neh neh"  

Well, its Friday and I'm pretty much over it all.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-10-24/medicinal-honey-in-australia-superior-to-new-zealand-manuka/11635412

Yes, its right off topic, sorry.

Edited by Chrisdub
apology

Why all this waste of money for the name of Manuka?

I think the money should be spend on advertising and adjudicating people why NZ Manuka is the best. Build up the best reputation and no manuka honey should leave NZ in drums.

Quickly customers will look for the best Manuka and forget the not so good ones.

There is a lot of things like Champagne,Prociutto,and so on protected, in the end people eat what is the best.

Totally agree Manfred.

Good products will sell themselves.

Manuka will always sell itself.

Build the brand and the competition is left behind.

$7.5 mill to push New Zealand Honey on the world market as the The Honey  to be seen eating would possibly benefit a lot more struggling business's and the potential return on the investment ten fold that of investing in just one honey. 

• Agree 1

On 25/10/2019 at 4:04 PM, Chrisdub said:

Never mind, all is not lost, the aussies have come out fighting and declared their manuka better and more leptospermumingly diverse than ours.    It was to be expected that the staggering silence of the last week was merely a possum-like stupor whilst they gathered the last bit of data together and should loudly  "neh neh ours is better than yours" - "well some might be a a bit better and some might be a bit not better but mostly its actually pretty much the same .... neh neh and we are going to call it manuka with a small m and without that line thingy ...  neh neh"  

Well, its Friday and I'm pretty much over it all.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-10-24/medicinal-honey-in-australia-superior-to-new-zealand-manuka/11635412

Nothing new - it was presented several years ago that there were Australian species with higher levels of DHA, MGO and leptosperin. 

10 hours ago, Manfred said:

Why all this waste of money for the name of Manuka?

I think the money should be spend on advertising and adjudicating people why NZ Manuka is the best. Build up the best reputation and no manuka honey should leave NZ in drums.

Quickly customers will look for the best Manuka and forget the not so good ones.

There is a lot of things like Champagne,Prociutto,and so on protected, in the end people eat what is the best.

What is the ‘best manuka’? An active honey with the highest MGO? Ah oh

no wait, the one with the highest MGO *and* leptosperin . . . Ah oh again. 

A UMF factor of 10 is sufficient for treating external wounds and you probably shouldn't be eating honey with a higher concentration. No amount of UMF will cure anything inside you and the active ingredient in manuka is potentially something that you don't want to eat too much of. Personally whenever I see those really high UMF labels I tend to wonder how much suntan lotion is in the mix.

• Haha 4

8F1F5CDD-146C-4AE1-8148-D896192DF93C.jpeg

It was with a certain amount of disappointment that I received an email from Bruce  C notifying us that MPI had declined an application to the Sustainable Farming Fund for funds to undertake a scoping study for setting up a honey producers coop.  Disappointing , but not surprising.

Part of the reason given was that MPI had consulted with industry leaders who had opinioned that the industry is in good heart, albeit in a restructuring mode , but should weather the current storm and that it would be business as usual in a few years.

Yeah right.

I would suggest that the industry leaders echoed the corporate view of the bee industry, which is primarily concerned with the production and marketing of Manuka.

What the industry leaders forget is that the vast majority of beekeepers in these fair isles  are reliant on floral sources other than Manuka for their 'Bread and Butter.'

The team at APINZ need to get out more and see what is happening in the provinces.

I would also suggest that if the industry was strong, then our operation would have had the confidence to go onto the market and buy hives to split to make up the duds that resulted from our stuff up this year with the varroa Mite and O/A.

We did not and still do not have that confidence in the future ,which is why we concentrated on splitting our splitable hives and have ended up with a shed full of boxes that won't get filled with honey this year.

As we go into another year we need more than anything a unified front for the marketing our New Zealand honey.

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 5

32 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Part of the reason given was that MPI had consulted with industry leaders who had opinioned that the industry is in good heart, albeit in a restructuring mode , but should weather the current storm and that it would be business as usual in a few years.

If MPI said that in writing somewhere then it would be very hard for them to refuse to identify who these "industry leaders" are, which could at least allow for feedback if they do any such consulting in future

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

We definitely need a single desk operation such as Zespri but with people at the top who can deliver. Payment to those guys should be based on sales of our great N.Z. native honeys not just clover like the co-op was built on.I  have seen companies from N.Z. compete with each other in the same market.Not a good look.

I also wonder if MPI asked ApiNZ exactly how many paid up identities are members when they accepted their opinion on the state of the industry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I say good on ya Bruce for having a go, he was the only one to at least try to support our family/small business beekeeping community and we will now only be purchasing from his family business in the future whenever possible.  GO BRUCE

• Like 2
  • Agree 2