Thomas Clow

Honey Producers Co-op Meetings Update

Adam has some very good points to make about getting this Co-op of the ground, the trouble with beeks who cant sell their honey at the moment, they are thinking like beeks who cant sell their honey at the moment. They/We all need to change that thinking to that of a marketer,packer,seller ( the other side to all our businesses) who knows the world markets so they can see what needs to be done. It wont happen over night nor will it it be cheap and we have to realize that it wont be a fix for this season, and next season starts next month.

• Like 2

@Emissary imagine the carnage in the industry if honey wasnt a locally protected industry and imported honey was allowed into the country .

Do you think any local honey producers would survive .? 

So................ where are we at with the proposed co-op??

It's probably rude to post tumbleweed gifs here.  There aren't any tumbleweeds in NZ anyway so I'll just use my imagination 

Edited by Paul Beer
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Paul Beer said:

It's probably rude to post tumbleweed gifs here.  There aren't any tumbleweeds in NZ anyway so I'll just use my imagination 

We do  have one......Spinifex, a coastal dune native burnt off by farmers and replaced with Marram. Now being reinstated in many areas as part of Coast Care.

The seed heads are a like a sparse pincushion and blow along the beach....

Spinifex.jpg.25a4754f7e59190d907389e80605aa67.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

We do  have one......Spinifex, a coastal dune native burnt off by farmers and replaced with Marram. Now being reinstated in many areas as part of Coast Care.

The seed heads are a like a sparse pincushion and blow along the beach....

Spinifex.jpg.25a4754f7e59190d907389e80605aa67.jpg

That's the stuff of my beach time childhood 🙂

• Like 1

Ah yes! Childhood beach memories of Northland

Thought for the day.

I was reading some of the farming papers this morning.  Despite sharing the bed with the missus and the dog, I was as cold as heck , mainly because the dog had got between me and the missus and commandered the duvet, so I  fell out and  put a brew of coffee on , stoked the fire and did some reading......   about Westland milk coop selling out to the Chinese, and an article about Silver fern farms accessing chinese capital to grow ...... and I got to thinking about our new honey co op , and how if one of our major markets is indeed China, then we need a Chinaman with a sackload of money to come to the party and take out a 49% shareholding .... the China man will know another million Chinapeople who like honey ...... and the ball is rolling for sure Murphy.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Thought for the day.

I was reading some of the farming papers this morning.  Despite sharing the bed with the missus and the dog, I was as cold as heck , mainly because the dog had got between me and the missus and commandered the duvet, so I  fell out and  put a brew of coffee on , stoked the fire and did some reading......   about Westland milk coop selling out to the Chinese, and an article about Silver fern farms accessing chinese capital to grow ...... and I got to thinking about our new honey co op , and how if one of our major markets is indeed China, then we need a Chinaman with a sackload of money to come to the party and take out a 49% shareholding .... the China man will know another million Chinapeople who like honey ...... and the ball is rolling for sure Murphy.

Wont be the first chinaman to partial own NZ honey companies

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Thought for the day.

You are probably not wrong .

Chinese money is very appealing to Kiwis and gets things humming nicely, for a very short period. 

These big kiwi co ops/ corporate businesses are structured in a way that command lots of money to run, but they do not like giving 'owners' money back when the 'owner/investor' wants out. There is some legislation that can make getting your money back close to impossible .

That's where the Chinese investor' likes to step in . Grab themselves a bargain to ensure a good food supply for the very long future ahead. 

It looks inevitable that much of what we produce will go to China for the next 100 to 1000 years.

Perhaps @jamesc, your morning thought was bang on 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

they will only buy a small portion of our honey and blend with there so called honey made from corn  and sugar mixes and what ever else they can find to put in it and sell back to us when they can

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, kevin moore said:

they will only buy a small portion of our honey and blend with there so called honey made from corn  and sugar mixes and what ever else they can find to put in it and sell back to us when they can

Reading posts on fb beekeeping page ,shows alot of people worldwide who are still very sceptical about buying honey because of the possibility it is fake,even from ur local beek down the rd..according to one person.And yes,the manuka name is being bandied around in all this gossip.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ali said:

Well, the big C is a big bit Chinese owned.....look at them now.....

Fonterra (Fon Terror?)....Chinese deals....look them now........

China hitting production lows...massive unemployment....civil unrest.....

Me thinks we should be careful what we wish for.

Me thinks these guys are too smart ..... they forget where their bread and butter comes from and build complicated marketing systems that are so finely tuned that  the ordinary people can't work  them ..... and when a hiccup

occurs ..... the domino's fall.

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Me thinks these guys are too smart ..... they forget where their bread and butter comes from and build complicated marketing systems that are so finely tuned that  the ordinary people can't work  them ..... and when a hiccup

occurs ..... the domino's fall.

Too smart for there own good I reckon. All in the name of big takes at the top end at the expense of basic producers (sounds similar to the honey industry?) and the avoidance of paying tax by extraordinary accounting when it suits.

Disclosed profit way down, share prices (and dividends next) down, tax paid way down, executive class earnings still way way up......and climbing? The club at the top doing just great and beggar the rest.....

11 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Comvita shares down to $2.87 

Steady Girl ..... not time to buy in yet.

• Haha 3

On 15 August 2019 at 8:49 PM, Ali said:

Well, the big C is a big bit Chinese owned.....look at them now.....

Fonterra (Fon Terror?)....Chinese deals....look them now........

China hitting production lows...massive unemployment....civil unrest.....

Me thinks we should be careful what we wish for.

Its not only the Big C that has chinese fingers in its operation a few smaller "family owned" ones do as well.

• Agree 2

Not much left really after the last 15 years of selling out to anyone who will bring money to our shores. We (as a people) begin to reap the benefits now don't we..........oh your not in that top 15%? 

Less acidly, it works well for some but all too often it doesn't pan out well. Access to markets and possibly finance at times are all well and good if there are profits coming back to the grass roots. Not currently it seems.

The big C has taken another well deserved dip (how much did the director shareholders pay themselves out??) but it is not only them of course, share markets here and mostly all are continuing to tumble.

3 hours ago, Ali said:

share markets here and mostly all are continuing to tumble.

My kiwisaver balance is certainly taking a hammering :(