Thomas Clow

Honey Producers Co-op Meetings Update

14 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Agree with all except Big C

I would have thought they'd be strong enough to swallow the hit and carry on diversifying....

14 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I would have thought they'd be strong enough to swallow the hit and carry on diversifying....

The problem they face is their need and expectation of extremely high margins to cover their horrendous corporate overheads.  Achievable in the Manuka market but most certainly not in the non Manuka market.  

If a company or anyone else didn't make money in the good years there is no way they going to make money in the bad years.

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Only my opinion - Multiple troubles here on multiple fronts, aside from the current price pressures. 

I imagine Ngai Tahu aren’t doing that great either.

paying way over the odds for Watson’s beekeeping business.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I imagine Ngai Tahu aren’t doing that great either.

paying way over the odds for Watson’s beekeeping business.

I think that there were earn out provisions in the agreement that meant he'd only be paid at certain levels based upon how the business did in the following few years.  The following few years were poor and there were questions over them wanting him to be involved in the business in an ongoing basis, which resulted in Ngai Tahu taking the bk business and him the medical business.  As it has been related to me he lost his shirt on the whole deal.

• Good Info 1

24 minutes ago, CraBee said:

As it has been related to me he lost his shirt on the whole deal.

Someone else's shirt I could believe.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Well I wish to heck I had some spare cash .... tin lids going cheap on trade me, Big C shares  dropping like a lead brick, cheap honey waiting for a willing buyer .... bee hives looking for homes .....

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

Hows yer new bike ?

11 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Well I wish to heck I had some spare cash .... tin lids going cheap on trade me, Big C shares  dropping like a lead brick, cheap honey waiting for a willing buyer .... bee hives looking for homes .....

Do I detect a hint of optimism Uncle James??  A suggestion of a bit of light at the end of the tunnel does wonders!!!  But why on earth would you be wanting to buy more gear/hives - surely with everything that’s gone on over the last few years no one wants to rush out and expand at the mere suggestion that things will come right??

38 minutes ago, john berry said:

Someone else's shirt I could believe.

More than likely!!

Posted (edited)

I have this uncurable disease Uncle ..... Bee fever ..... it makes the heart pound and the pulse race when I see paddocks white with clover , smell the sweet smell of the new dew after rain, and  open bee hives  oozing honey  out the top.   Aye for sure, there are the garbage days in the spring  as you realise you stuffed up and  open dead after dead hives wiped out by the mite ..... or shovel boxes into the burning pit ..... but at the end of the day we are optimists ...... and bees are what we do.

Edited by jamesc

5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I have this uncurable disease Uncle ..... Bee fever ..... it makes the heart pound and the pulse race when I see paddocks white with clover , smell the sweet smell of the new dew after rain, and  open bee hives  oozing honey  out the top.   Aye for sure, there are the garbage days in the spring  as you realise you stuffed up and  open dead after dead hives wiped out by the mite ..... or shovel boxes into the burning pit ..... but at the end of the day we are optimists ...... and bees are what we do.

Yeah I hear ya!!!  I’ve got a good cure for bee fever which never fails to work - my wife!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

I think all of us that are immersed in this industry see first hand what is going on. Many inaccurate assumptions have been made with Manuka investments, however for your second image to exist Manuka kg value would have to drop below the other honey verities. That is not going to happen. 

Probably my fault for not explaining the graphic
Its not to scale and isnt to be taken as you are interpreting it
Its more about the tail wagging the dog in a house of cards that is at perpetual risk of falling over

6 minutes ago, Ted said:

Yeah I hear ya!!!  I’ve got a good cure for bee fever which never fails to work - my wife!!

Hmmmm ..... better leave it at that then.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, yesbut said:

Possibly a good time for someone with deep pockets to enter the industry. Gear suppliers will be happy to sharpen pencils, sites falling vacant.....landowner's expectations taken a swipe, quite likely complete outfits going for a song..  acquire a few more  Big C shares.....

wanna set up an investment co-op? ;0

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

wanna set up an investment co-op? ;0

Umm, yeaa, naaa

Edited by yesbut
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, CraBee said:

You are going to need to take some care though if you want to use that honey pot design commercially, it was created by someone else and is likely owned by someone else.  You don't want to get in a situation where you are building a brand and then have to withdraw it.  That honey pot image is also used by others, including ourselves, on our own website.

web address for a look see ?

4 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

there's a pic here - could be the one. Google Craig's name to confirm i guess: https://www.beecroft.co.nz/#new-page-1-section

Yup nice one tommy dave you've just publicly launched the site before it is finished, I was in touch with james via pm for a private look.....

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Yup nice one tommy dave you've just publicly launched the site before it is finished, I was in touch with james via pm for a private look.....

just like a budget hack.. it's online, take it down if it's not launched - i had no idea it wasn't launched. I googled your name and honey.

You, said, and i quote; " That honey pot image is also used by others, including ourselves, on our own website." - suggests it's something you've been using for a while rather than something that isn't even 'launched'.

you also state: "You are going to need to take some care though if you want to use that honey pot design commercially, it was created by someone else and is likely owned by someone else." -> i guess you're taking that same care

Edited by tommy dave

2 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

just like a budget hack.. it's online, take it down if it's not launched - i had no idea it wasn't launched. I googled your name and honey

No worries fair enough 🙂  

I'd actually been refraining from posting on the site as I kept on getting in trouble with the mods.  

My not often visited Facebook page here

https://www.facebook.com/craig.beecroft.94

Mum's been away at home for two months, back Thursday am.  Not that the honey on toast has been bad....:-)

What ever ... Tommy found it in the wood work ..... just shows you the interweb is a powerfull tool.    BUT ..... it looks good Crabee and is all a part of growing a business. Well done !

• Like 1

On 3/06/2019 at 6:39 PM, Ted said:

Careful @Ted there could be lots of ladies lining up for lessons from your wife.

• Haha 2

I find it disconcerting that the coop is begging for gifts of money via a givealittle page

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/creation-of-a-honey-producers-co-operative-for-nz?fbclid=IwAR1RHwPkOvoSNwHr9Gy5zExRIBsoGriCBgfa8JL5QIH2I0_52StqVLMGe6E

it just seems a bit off, nothing against the idea of forming the co-op, only the approach being taken with this seems out of alignment with everything else that has been talked about

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

I find it disconcerting that the coop is begging for gifts of money via a givealittle page

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/creation-of-a-honey-producers-co-operative-for-nz?fbclid=IwAR1RHwPkOvoSNwHr9Gy5zExRIBsoGriCBgfa8JL5QIH2I0_52StqVLMGe6E

it just seems a bit off, nothing against the idea of forming the co-op, only the approach being taken with this seems out of alignment with everything else that has been talked about

I wonder if it has been endorsed/approved by Bruce or if it is an individual who is taking the initiative to raise extra funds.

• Agree 1

Hmm I don’t like it at all tbh .

to me give a little is about helping individuals who are going through hard times and need a cash injection for whatever it is they are going through, not for the creation of a company.

lets be honest beekeepers, packers, equipment suppliers have, in the past 7 odd years never had it so good and should have made a lot of money.

If some of that money hasn’t been put away for a rainy day then who’s problem is that ?

We all knew that things were going to change when a standard was introduced and had at least 3 years warning, if people decided to get into bees with that on the doorstep they should have done a lot of research as to what they were getting into. 

I doubt it will raise any money. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1